NSW Government
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Government Employee Reviews

When I first graduated it was perfect to ease into teaching however cut 1 year of casual work and it became a little more stressful to find work and earn enough to support my self. I remember before I graduated we were told that we were coming to a “retirement period” where majority of current teachers are above 65 and are going to retire. It’s been almost 7 years since then and I still haven’t seen it happen. Which is why I left the country in search of a permanent teaching job.
I worked on a 3 month contract to develop online Help for the department's intranet. The intranet was used as a knowledge base for the call-centre staff dealing with the public. I mostly worked at home because security and system access was not granted and set up until the contract was nearly finished. The staff were very nice and helpful. The atmosphere at work was relaxed.
Pros
Freedom to develop the content as we saw fit.
Cons
No system or security access for most of the contract period.
The department was very large and extremely busy. I learned a lot from the legal team and was also given the opportunity to conduct Paralegal tasks whilst i was there. I left because i was due to have my first child 3 weeks later.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
Very large and noisy environment
Not able to comment Poor management structures Difficult but rewarding Too many unnecessary reporting requirements and lack of continuity as a casual teacher
A place where I learnt new skills eg writing Ministerials, handling customer complaints, and liasion with NSW Local Council staff. I also expanded on my financial skills by assessing Capex proposals. Public - Private Partnerships and assessing councils against financial criterion. I also had the opportunity to present financial analysis to management meetings.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great co workers
Cons
Difficulty in making amendments to processes, legislation
Fast paced industry with high volumes of applications, dealing with customer applications via email, post and telephone.
Training opportunities, multicultural work environment, cultural training, cultural respect , resources available to staff to grow
clinical and only involved in situations where something goes wrong. However they provide on the job training and educations.
Pros
education
Cons
violent clients
Working with great team mates and amazing residences. Talented staff with a wealth of knowledge willing to share as much as they could
Pros
Good long hours
Cons
Short staffed
Each day can be different as we provide many services to the community so lots of varied clients attend the service for care. There is an Aged care residential ward where we provide daily care for the elderly and palliative care. it is a nice environment with a homely feel and all staff provide a high standard of care to all clients. Our management have an excellent approachable/ open door policy which maintains a good supportive atmosphere. The staff have a good rapport with each other and genuinely care about our clients and each other.
Pros
staff BBQ's, morning teas, self-rostering
Cons
busy shifts at times due to working in all areas of hospital
Co-workers were diverse and experienced. Very supportive. Most enjoyable part of FACS was the diverse range of co-workers and the input each had in helping with the challenging tasks but also the support via empathetic listening and communication. salary was very fair also.
every day is different extra skills assistance give when required second family long hot days enjoyable part is knowing you gave 100% in to helping customers
Pros
N/a
Cons
Hot days
I sincerely enjoyed my period of employment with the NSW Government. It was a challenging and rewarding time of my life.
Pros
Opportunity for promotion
Cons
Nil
My current employment offers a challenging and somewhat rewarding environment. Each day is different and therefore offers diversity. The residents change regularly and therefore new challenges develop and need to be addressed on an individual basis. I have learnt many new skills which have helped me grow as a person. I am able to use many skills I have learnt from life experience to assist the residents in planning for their future and advocating to other service providers where necessary. My co-workers and I all work very closely together to ensure that there is consistency between staff and residents. We are a team and have the same goals. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have made a difference in someone else's life and been able to help them move forward to hopefully a better life.
Pros
Fantastic team environment
Cons
Shift work
I gained significant job satisfaction from assisting clients with energy saving measures in a program targeted toward lower income individuals. Acting as a sub-contractor, there was little interaction with other staff apart from consulting with the call centre for appointment details and variations. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the limitation of time allocated for each appointment and the frustration which came from customers not being at home at the appointed time.
Pros
Job satisfaction and reasonable income
Cons
Significant after hours work required
Teaching is a very difficult and stressful job. But after 33 years I was expert in my field. This is not to say I could learn no more. Everyday depending on the school I taught, and I have taught at 9, offered challenges. However though it was hard , though kids were at times difficult and the DET/ DEC was not always helpful I loved the job and made lasting relationships with staff and many senior students. I really did feel I made a difference.
Pros
fun, happy people, great relationships
Cons
working all day, and night and school holidays
reviewing policies and commenting on what changes need to be identified and how to be an effective facilitator and project officer whilst having time to look after family and enjoying the networking of work, life and recreation. the people who I worked with had good ethics and wanted to learn about my culture to assist them in their work and private lives, they were also fun to work with and socialise with.
Pros
working with communities, making changes
Cons
policies not written in plain language
  1. Employee Reviews