NSW Health

NSW Health Employee Reviews

Australia142 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Nursing

Always short staffed . Nursing staff are over worked and management don't care or understand what we are up against. Some people are very difficult to care for and are rude and demanding which adds to the stress and pressure I only enjoy my job when there are enough staff to help. I feel my job is secure and pay is ok but definitely should be higher due to being overworked due to lack of staff.

Policy driven and many opportunities for career advancement

It’s a Public Health Service at the end of the day it is under funded and staff are over worked. Bully is rife throughout and don’t get me started on tall poppy syndrome. All that aside, I loved the majority of roles I held over the years and built a 40 year career there.

Bad culture work place

There are no pros to working with health share if you like working long discretionary hours with no support from management or Human Resources I would recommend health share

Pros

Nice nursing staff

Cons

Lack of support by management

Over worked not fun wrong people get to the top whilst good staff are given grief.

Minimal rushed training. Thrown in the deep end. Bully's for Manager's. A lot of lazy staff who don't get dealt with. Everything is presented as transparent but what really goes on behind closed doors is all about, not what you know, but who you know. Long drawn out application processes. Mostly casual or permanent part time. Supplying documents over & over again. The whole Health System is failing, staff are leaving in droves, causing more stress on the ones still there. With a lot of GP's starting to Not Bulk Bill, this will put more pressure on the Emergency Departments, who can't cope now. Massive problems ahead.

Pros

You think a Government job is safe.

Cons

Extra extra work but no rewards at all.

Nice place to advance your career

Pay is good. It's good job security IF you're not contracted. Interviews are competitive. However. most their job ads are usually internally assigned already.

Churn and burn mentality

Archaic structure. Poor development opportunities. Little respect for experience of senior staff.Little accountability of management in KPI's in terms of staff satisfaction and care. Core values not met in this department . Need to step into 2022

Secure job but can be quite stressful depending on which department you work in

Okay job but stressful quite often. Some administration colleagues are not nice to work with. No problems at all with medical and nursing staff. Coping with angry people takes its toll after a while.

Pros

Secure job, good pay

Cons

Stressful, shift work, coping with angry people

No career progression

Pathology, Interesting place to work. As hardly anyone gets fired is not uncommon to find lazy carelees staff who have been working for ages and are very good at the "leave it to someone else" game. Challenging and busy place to work (not as much as private pathology) with no career progression unless some politics are in your favour.

Pros

Salary packaging, job security.

Cons

No career progression, slow management.

Poor leadership and little organisation if any.

Very little regard given to well-being of employees. Management unwilling to hear about problems. Little support given by management and hardly any leadership. Too much rigmarole and procedure instead of sensibility.

Pros

Good pay. Salary packaging.

Management are appalling

They have a policy of respect, staff feeling empowered to speak up and contribute, etc. The opposite is true. Management don’t listen, micromanage, bully and gaslight staff that challenge their dishonesty and decisions that don’t work in reality. My knowledge, experience and job skills are completely undervalued and unrecognised. I’m supposed to perform like a trained monkey and never think for myself. Nurses are worked like machines, due to understaffing frequently asked to work 12 hour shifts, come in on days off and almost never get meal breaks. Management are terrible and make this a very toxic workplace. Some senior nurses and doctors treat other staff very badly but management look the other way because they are considered essential staff. One rule for them, another for us. Just a really toxic miserable place to work unless you’re someone considered important.

Pros

Getting paid. Days off. Going home

Cons

Management.

Varied.

Not a job for everyone. Multicultural aspects. Need compassion and common sense. Difficult hours. Roster troubles. Team work is essential. Conditions are good.

Cons

Long hours. Parking difficulties.

Good people to work with.

The local crew were good to work with but training, pay and opportunities for career advancement in my work were none existent. Work was for the most part the same day to day. Occasionally we would have parties for those that were retiring.

Pros

Early start and finish times

Cons

Low wages for the amount of responsibility

No that productive

Very Bureaucratic, took ages to do anything at all or get anything done. Made for a super unproductive workplace where everyone was just tired of all the loopholes

Positives and negatives

Good training provided and good organizational structure that can support work life balance. Poor management in following code of conduct and performance management systems.

Pros

Training provided

Cons

Lack of integrity

Team was amazing but management are bullies & dinosaurs

I loved working with the Team at Hunter New England Health & they were an extremely professional, highly skilled & helpful, they created a great working environment that made the lack of staff & bad management bearable. Sadly the same can’t be said for the management team. It was a consensus within the team that management give no support, no loyalty & no care to their workers. While they walk out on time & take their meal breaks, work from home when family members are sick etc, the employees under them suffer the opposite working with unreasonable work demands, minimal if any training, proper meal breaks were an occasional luxury & no career progression prospects. Sadly their management style is very ancient & even work place adjustments was an unheard of concept & not known to the management team I worked with. ‘We treat everyone here like family’ was just lip service & there was never any substance to such comments. As was ‘we don’t expect anyone to do more than they can do in a day’ was always met with ‘well it needs to be done regardless’ the following day. They manipulate their policies & procedures to suit themselves while breaching every single one of them on a daily basis. Wouldn’t recommend.

Team work place

Nice and easy work place. Very good for employees. It’s Government job, so better than others. Good salary, good management, good rules and policies. Finally it’s wonderful.

Pros

Good salary

Current work role, history in healthcare

Great place to work, always someone to help, access to documentation is great and library easy to use. Salary to Government levels, might need updating, overall happy place to work.

Pros

work life balance

Cons

quick breaks

Ethical hard work

Good work place culture. Strict protocols and Intensively constant and rewarding work. There is little scope for flexible hours for personal appts or lunches. Long days with constant workloads.

Pros

Supervision access

Cons

Nil flexibility

Professional workplace with great structure and culture

Well structured, professional workplace with clear boundaries and expectations. Fast paced, multicultural environment with exceptional processes in place.

Pros

Training, development

Cons

Wages

Productive and engaging place

NSW Health is a progressive Govt dept with lots of support and learning experience. There are lots of opportunities to grow your career and good management.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Beaurocratic

Great work/life balance

I worked for several different departments and locations in SLHD. I found that the overall work was great and I enjoyed the work. I felt like a lot of my colleague has fatigue and burn out, but kept going due to the job security. Management was all over the place, and they kept cutting funding which meant we had less and less support and high turn over on middle management. However, the work/life balance was the best and I would recommend them and I would work there again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare NSW Health with