NSW Police Force
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Police Force Employee Reviews

Australia88 reviews
Enjoyed my time with the NSW Police Force. Friendly people with those whom want to make their community a safer place. Everyone is willing to push those around to get the best results from you can vice versa.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers, Great Staff Support, Many Opportunities for career growth
Cons
Never been so humiliated in my life. Worse decision ever. Waste of time and money. I wouldn’t recommend the policeforce to anybody I know. Hated everyday I worked.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Working with people who u can’t trust
I worked for the NSW Police at their HQ in Sydney for 6.5 years between 1986 and 1993, nepotism was rife and they employed a manager with no experience in IT who developed a dislike of me, in turn, this guy employed a trainee whom I had to train, I also was training others some of which were uni grads and mathematicians, eventually, I was made redundant and classed as “excess staff”, banished to dusting library shelves, etc. on the grounds that I made a “programming error” consisting little more than a cosmetic error – a comma in the wrong place. The new trainee was given my job. The PSA helped me to claim redundancy pay amounting to $22,000, the director of the department was sacked – I don't know what happened to the manager, but I do have a bone to pick...PS – at the time I had more than 30 years experience.
My typical day at work with the NSW police force was fast paced, fun and at times stressful but that did not stop myself from wanting to come to work each and every day. It was a very enjoyable experience.
Culture in any orgranisation is important, ethics and supporting each other important. I ook back at the discipline and hard working officers but today 2019 I see a lazy police force
Busy but fun/friendly environment. Good career prospects. Worked mainly on the evening shift as it meant we could contact applicants by phone which helped to speed up the entire process.
Stable secure job, there is a variety of specialist units you can work in. Can be exciting, can be draining, can be rewarding, life long friends. You have the opportunity to help others but also exposed to dangerous situations and challenging circumstances. Every day can be different. Expect computer and paperwork.
Pros
Great friends, job security, variety of jobs, room for advancement in rank structure. An honorable job. Can help people.
Cons
Mentally challenging, can face dangerous situations
Very secure and rewarding career.
Would recommend this career with someone with life experience, straight from school and / or university may find more difficult to adjust,
This organisation is the worst place to work for if you are an injured police officer. The NSWPF are self insured, and will do everything they can to save money on their premiums and to save rehabilitation costs. They verge on corruption with the things injury management do, who are made up of insurance workers civilians. At the end of the day you are a number, and that number becomes disposable once injured.
Fantastic job, extremely challenging and extremely tough but the rewards are amazing. Helping out women in domestics, kids in distress, even seniors crossing the road make it feel like you're making a difference even if it's a small one in people's lives. I have to say though if you're reading this, I've seen LOTS of 18-21 year olds enter this job, and please it is not for the faint of heart or young teenagers. You will see the darkest side of society and sadly not all teenagers have the brain maturity to see that just yet. Lots of new under 25 young probies are very mouthy, refuse to do jobs and just can't handle domestics (as they've been heavily shetered at home by mum and dad). I've seen kids torn to shreds at pubs when confronting a 120kg drunk and they have no clue as they have no real world experience beyond sitting at the footy field after Science class. Go do something else, enjoy life before you see the true evil side of the world. I strongly recommend working in a customer service job for at least 3 years before attempting this job otherwise you'll be torn in half within your first 3 months when you are given the most rubbish and dangerous jobs as a probie, and you will want out, believe me I've seen 5 out of 6 leave within weeks of joining the station!
As I have a strong interest in the criminal justice system, I thoroughly enjoyed the work I performed as a General Administrative Support Officer with NSW Police Force. I enjoyed working with the Police Prosecutors in particular as I have a legal background.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
7am starts
I learned to be very patient, Communicate, learning to think on your feet. I also learnt how to Manage different personalities by listening to different and very diverse members of the public and their issues everyday.

I enjoyed working for the Local & Childrens courts.

This was the most enjoyable part of my work on a day to day basis.
Pros
working in the Childrens Court
Cons
Not being able to work on full time basis.
Working at Police was an amazing place & culture to work amongst skilled employees.
Security & flexibility

Excellent environment & support

Advancement opportunities
The work experience in NSW Police Forces busted my myths about complex work culture in Public Sector.

The team is the best team I ever worked with, and the Project Manager and Executives are so committed to help us achieve the project deliverables, I'd be glad to work with them again, any time :)
Pros
Culture, Work/Life balance, and sense of service, great team members
Cons
No refreshments
They treat contractors as animals.

They have not plan and no idea how to progress.

Managers are promoted without any skills.

Most permanent staff are unable to perform their jobs.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
No stability.
Uniform Police control everything. Civilian Staff are treated as second rate citizens.

Salary is bottom of mkt, at best. And, as such, they don't get the best staff.

Staff do the bare minimum, just enough to keep their jobs. Thus Programs fail. Therefore, they're so tight it ends up costing them much more.

Lotus notes, cramped working conditions. Low morale
Pros
Cons
many
I was in a Civvy Department and was just a temporary worker, but they made me feel very part part of the team, with the odd pommie jokes. Directors and Managers were friendly, we had a nice leaving do when I had to leave to travel the world. I have good memories. I was in the old 14 College Street office. I think I had Medicare but that's about it.
Pros
Friendly staff, informal, great views of Sydney
Cons
Detective Senior Constable responsible for attending crime scenes, gathering evidence and prosecuting offenders.
Great comradery between peers working in challenging conditions.
Pros
the uniform
Cons
long stressful hours
Unless you are high up in management you are just pawns to the business managers and those in management positions. There is zero care factor over a persons well being or working and life balance. Too many power drunk individuals running the administrative side of things.

For anyone who was on a temporary contract, I did not see a single person finish their contract, especially those who were not in the "it" groups. Job stability is horrid for admin staff. I would advise against anyone signing up for a temporary role with NSW Police.

Lots of gossip and talking about officers behind their backs and lots of schoolyard behaviours. Other than getting a good salary for what you do, there is no other positive about working at this organisation from an administrative perspective.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Gossip, bickering, high egos
working for the NSW Police was very satisfactory and enabled me to learn a large amount of skills. I was also responsible for supervising junior police officers and organising and performing training days for Licensing Staff officers.
Pros
Nil
Cons
12 hours.
I was lucky enough to be employed with NSW Police Force for many years in different clerical and administration roles. The training was up to date and ongoing.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Police Force. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2