NSW Police Force

NSW Police Force Employee Reviews

Australia91 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Full time team members very friendly, however casual employees seem to always be searching

I felt that the whole company was running on casual employees, the system the Firearms was using was very very antiquated and to be very honest was very very suprised that a government agency used it at all ( it was virtually a large excel spreadsheet) requiring mainly cheques for payment. The large amount of staff was made up of casual employees indicating that the employees really had no interest is upgrading the system and employee satisfactory outcomes

Fast paced, stressful, heartbreaking/rewarding

It is very fast paced, highly stressful, can be heartbreaking at times and rewarding at others. It involved taking 000 calls and working on radio giving out jobs to the police on the road. It takes good 6 mths in the classroom and another 6 on the floor before you are fully qualified. They start with about 30 in the class and at the end only the best make it through.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits

Cons

Highly stressful

Don't join

Was a police officer for 17 years and I have to say to anyone thinking about joining don't. They don't look after you and when your injured you have to fight the insurer and the department. PTSD is Riffe as well as depression and toxicity in the workplace. When you leave you have no transferable skills and you won't find a job. I had a recruiter tell me that we don't have jobs for ex police, as no one wants them. Get a trade or University qualification and get a good long career where you won't get injured and unemployed at the end.

Pros

That I left

Cons

Terrible job and department

Job security -Poor culture

I did 2 years. My first six months was terrible, being the only new probationary officer. I was in the spotlight. Instead of support and training I was constantly made to feel like I should already know it all and was essentially labelled as useless. Once 5 more probationary constables joined I excelled and began to enjoy the job. They essentially started to target one of the new ones.

Pros

Job security - Good pay

Cons

Bad culture, average and rushed training - no peer support

Worst experience ever

Never been so humiliated in my life. Worse decision ever. Waste of time and money. I wouldn’t recommend the policeforce to anybody I know. Hated everyday I worked.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Working with people who u can’t trust

A worthwhile Career

Enjoyed my time with the NSW Police Force. Friendly people with those whom want to make their community a safer place. Everyone is willing to push those around to get the best results from you can vice versa.

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, Great Staff Support, Many Opportunities for career growth

Nepotistic and very stressful

I worked for the NSW Police at their HQ in Sydney for 6.5 years between 1986 and 1993, nepotism was rife and they employed a manager with no experience in IT who developed a dislike of me, in turn, this guy employed a trainee whom I had to train, I also was training others some of which were uni grads and mathematicians, eventually, I was made redundant and classed as “excess staff”, banished to dusting library shelves, etc. on the grounds that I made a “programming error” consisting little more than a cosmetic error – a comma in the wrong place. The new trainee was given my job. The PSA helped me to claim redundancy pay amounting to $22,000, the director of the department was sacked – I don't know what happened to the manager, but I do have a bone to pick...PS – at the time I had more than 30 years experience.

Fun and Professional place to work

My typical day at work with the NSW police force was fast paced, fun and at times stressful but that did not stop myself from wanting to come to work each and every day. It was a very enjoyable experience.

The police has a long ingraded culture

Culture in any orgranisation is important, ethics and supporting each other important. I ook back at the discipline and hard working officers but today 2019 I see a lazy police force

Good all round

Busy but fun/friendly environment. Good career prospects. Worked mainly on the evening shift as it meant we could contact applicants by phone which helped to speed up the entire process.

Variety of jobs in a day.

Stable secure job, there is a variety of specialist units you can work in. Can be exciting, can be draining, can be rewarding, life long friends. You have the opportunity to help others but also exposed to dangerous situations and challenging circumstances. Every day can be different. Expect computer and paperwork.

Pros

Great friends, job security, variety of jobs, room for advancement in rank structure. An honorable job. Can help people.

Cons

Mentally challenging, can face dangerous situations

Government Agency

Very secure and rewarding career. Would recommend this career with someone with life experience, straight from school and / or university may find more difficult to adjust,

Once Injured as a police officer thrown on the scrap heap.

This organisation is the worst place to work for if you are an injured police officer. The NSWPF are self insured, and will do everything they can to save money on their premiums and to save rehabilitation costs. They verge on corruption with the things injury management do, who are made up of insurance workers civilians. At the end of the day you are a number, and that number becomes disposable once injured.

Awesome gig!

Fantastic job, extremely challenging and extremely tough but the rewards are amazing. Helping out women in domestics, kids in distress, even seniors crossing the road make it feel like you're making a difference even if it's a small one in people's lives. I have to say though if you're reading this, I've seen LOTS of 18-21 year olds enter this job, and please it is not for the faint of heart or young teenagers. You will see the darkest side of society and sadly not all teenagers have the brain maturity to see that just yet. Lots of new under 25 young probies are very mouthy, refuse to do jobs and just can't handle domestics (as they've been heavily shetered at home by mum and dad). I've seen kids torn to shreds at pubs when confronting a 120kg drunk and they have no clue as they have no real world experience beyond sitting at the footy field after Science class. Go do something else, enjoy life before you see the true evil side of the world. I strongly recommend working in a customer service job for at least 3 years before attempting this job otherwise you'll be torn in half within your first 3 months when you are given the most rubbish and dangerous jobs as a probie, and you will want out, believe me I've seen 5 out of 6 leave within weeks of joining the station!

Challenging yet rewarding work

As I have a strong interest in the criminal justice system, I thoroughly enjoyed the work I performed as a General Administrative Support Officer with NSW Police Force. I enjoyed working with the Police Prosecutors in particular as I have a legal background.

Pros

Great salary

Cons

7am starts

Enjoy talking to differrent diverse commumity on face to face basis.

I learned to be very patient, Communicate, learning to think on your feet. I also learnt how to Manage different personalities by listening to different and very diverse members of the public and their issues everyday. I enjoyed working for the Local & Childrens courts. This was the most enjoyable part of my work on a day to day basis.

Pros

working in the Childrens Court

Cons

Not being able to work on full time basis.

Stable & secure

Working at Police was an amazing place & culture to work amongst skilled employees. Security & flexibility Excellent environment & support Advancement opportunities

The Best Place to work for

The work experience in NSW Police Forces busted my myths about complex work culture in Public Sector. The team is the best team I ever worked with, and the Project Manager and Executives are so committed to help us achieve the project deliverables, I'd be glad to work with them again, any time :)

Pros

Culture, Work/Life balance, and sense of service, great team members

Cons

No refreshments

A poor place to work.

They treat contractors as animals. They have not plan and no idea how to progress. Managers are promoted without any skills. Most permanent staff are unable to perform their jobs.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

No stability.

regret working there

Uniform Police control everything. Civilian Staff are treated as second rate citizens. Salary is bottom of mkt, at best. And, as such, they don't get the best staff. Staff do the bare minimum, just enough to keep their jobs. Thus Programs fail. Therefore, they're so tight it ends up costing them much more. Lotus notes, cramped working conditions. Low morale

Pros

Cons

many

Loved it

I was in a Civvy Department and was just a temporary worker, but they made me feel very part part of the team, with the odd pommie jokes. Directors and Managers were friendly, we had a nice leaving do when I had to leave to travel the world. I have good memories. I was in the old 14 College Street office. I think I had Medicare but that's about it.

Pros

Friendly staff, informal, great views of Sydney

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Police Force. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare NSW Police Force with