NSW State Emergency Service
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW State Emergency Service Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Business like workplace supporting the volunteers and paid staff

For the most part, working with and supporting volunteers was a pleasure and very rewarding. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about paid staff. A few (very few) are excellent managers, team leaders and colleagues. But far too many are just along for the ride until retirement or worse, abusive bullies. I hope the service has changed in the last decade, but I doubt it.

Poor Culture

The organisation is undergoing significant time of upheaval and weak leadership in the Exec. The moral and culture is at a low and many good staff have walked away it does not engage with its volunteers and users positional power to direct staff. It will get better once Govt step in and change the senior leaders

enjoy meeting people

i like meeting new people from around the states that need help , i have made life long friends , and i'm glad that i was able to make a difference in those lives..

Satisfying role

My work at NSW State Emergency Service is very rewarding I love the challenge and environment this role provides the only down side is it is completely weather dependent good/fair weather = no work

Cons

Weather dependent so you can’t rely on it for regular income

Great People and culture

Great people and culture which guides the way I did not meet or work with anyone I did not like very impressive They don't talk team or collaboration they live it

Bad management, full of bullying and harassment

Bad management with full of bullying and harassment. no technical knowledge for technical managers. managers get recruited internally always through favours. Some managers got restricted even without any competitive assessment. Managers with minimal or no management skills.

memeber

I am a member of the rural fire service and i love it best work place anyone can join . great team work great members most enjoyable part is putting the fire out and helping each other in a team environment

Great place

I found upper management as beautiful approachable people who have a genuine caring nature. However, casuals/temp/agency staff in the area I was working aren't treated same eg I was told I was the lackie and get the rough end of the stick - which seems to be acceptable behavior.

Pros

good people

Cons

jobs for mates

All and all a good job

All and all a good company to work for, not a good work life balance. Love the job and love helping people. Would recommend to someone who likes the outdoors and a bit of advantageous types.

Incredible

Being part of the NSWRFS was a huge part of my life over 8 and a bit years. It helped me gain confidence and an ability to help my community. The training is fantastic and can be taken out of the service to further your paid career and gives you the ability to create a career withing the service.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NSW State Emergency Service?

Productive and Fun Workplace

Always learning something new and gain a lot of beneficial skills. Great way to interact and meet new people and also having the opportunity to serve the community.

Accounts Payable Officer

A very friendly place to work, extremely busy but always very supportive. Hours are flexible very customer focused. Mgt & Staff are very approachable.

Pros

supportive

Fun

Excellent opportunity to mix with the community and learn a variety of skills and engage in activities one would otherwise not have the opportunity to without being a member of this wonderful organisation.

Great chance to travel in NSW

Good place to work. Great oppurtunities to travel all over NSW. I loved living in outback NSW. Great time with the cockies and landowners learning many different jobs.

Rfs

was just a volunteer with no pay is the best thing that i am doing like helping people with every call out i go to the hardest part of the job is going to a fire one a 40-50 degree heat

Disgusting work ethics.

Called my agent and said I was unworthy of having that job due to mistakes on files ... except I had no access to them and the only reason they wanted to fire me was because an older employee was coming back to work.

full on work always

no much to write about I spent 10 year's at the NSW SES Stateheadquarer's regent street Wollongong stores and finance Logisric's officer good job meet with many client's and volunteer's all over NSW enjoyed meeting all our volunteer's very much,

Pros

good people I worked with

Cons

sometimes very long hours

Hard but Rewarding!

The largest Volunteer Emergency Service in the world! It's not the easiest job in the world but it's by far the most rewarding! Being able to help people in their time of need is something truly special!

Enjoyable working with volunteers

Working with volunteers resulted in intense satisfaction in being able to assist and instruct them in the execution of their work as emergency service 'workers'.

Pros

Meeting and talking with volunteers

Cons

Nil

Casual Contract Position

I find it a little hard to review as although there were a lot of benefits etc to permanent Rural Fire Service employee's I was not one. I worked for an outside company Drake Australia and was employed and paid through Gosford Council.

Great place to volenteer

very diverse, can take you anywhere, no job is the same however is only volenteering. from your brigade you will respond to many incidents within your local area, ours is in an urban environment so we mostly get house fires, car accidents and assisting paramedics. additionally you will go to other areas to assist with bushfires and large incidents.

Pros

free lunches, visit many new places

Cons

Can be dangerous, many logistics issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW State Emergency Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4