Only About Children
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Only About Children Employee Reviews

Australia38 reviews
As casual have to travel to different campuses and get used to different routine at different centre, the hardest thing is when working in the baby room, because the babies are not familiar to new face.
Il lavoro è stato molto stimolante e produttivo. Lo staff è molto collaborativo e le strutture sono pensate perfettamente per ogni esigenza dei bambini.
They have a good system of making sure you get shifts and give them your availability but they pay the lowest possible salary. But the shifts available have a good hour range.
Pros
Shifts
Cons
Low salary
Working at only about children is a good lifestyle and relaxing work day some days are busy and some not each go in fallow menu and recipe for the meals for the day do the ordering check cleaning list and make sure the kitchen is clean
Only About Children is a big company but is always striving for excellence. If your really passionate about children and a lasting career in early childhood, if you strive to work in a collaborative team environment and can bring along with you positive team culture skills then is a great place to work !
I worked as a casual educator in both Melbourne and Sydney. Every center came with different challenges but overall I found the company extremely organized with a child-centered approach. All staff were friendly and the casual rota worked really well for me.
Using the online app I selected which campuses and what days I was available to work and most of the time received 40 hours a week.

To be a casual educator however you need to have good initiative and ability to adapt to new situations quickly. You also have to pay for working with children check by law and complete basic OAC training online before starting.
I found time passing quickly working in the centre as a floater which I worked for the different age group of children. The environment is caring and safe for the children to explore , the programs is constructional for children to learn. We staff enjoyed the beautiful Christmas Party in 2018 .
Enjoy!
Its been two month now, I am happy because staff is good.. I learned lots of things from the STAFF like they appriciate the little little things which is good. Management is preety good they set up everything on the app.. Also workplace culture is good multi cultural team , effective opinions ..
Hardest part of the job is for the casual you are not much intract with childrens families .

The best and enjoyble part of the job is they are very cool.. If you are in good path. No over stress, directors are cool .
My advice, don’t work for OAC unless you’re already good friends with the director (or maybe that was just a thing at my campus) if you’re not best friends with the director you’ll get treated unfairly and the director will refuse to listen if you’re having difficulties at work. Staff are constantly under pressure. Lots of gossip, work very hard and receive little. Pretty much felt miserable the whole time I was working there and got no support whatsoever because I wasn’t a suck up
They are gossiping about other people
There is no opportunity for new people.

Managements are sassy

There is no way for me to go back to this company. I swear
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Only About Children?
During my time at Only About Children, I learnt the best possible practices and standards and how they were achievable for the industry. For those who I know wanting to continue in the child care industry, I have recommended OAC.
Of all the centres I've been this one is extremely stressful.
Director easily explodes and cares/listens only for educators who are in her circle of friends. New and casual educators are the ones always asked to do this and that and permanent educators are choosing the easy tasks.

Permanent educators are struggling to interact with children which show they really don't care. This centre doesn't stand for it's name "Only about Children". Children are not really their priority but money.
I love working with this company. We have clean and tidy environment. We are being paid fairly. We do shifts hour and our campus director let us to decide our own shift. We eat with the children. We also have 20 days of annual leave. As a trainee, my study day was included in my working hours.
However, sometimes the manager may deal with cases differently. She was targeting at me. One day me and the other staff were doing something wrong together but the manager only pick on me. It ended up with me calling the Fairwork Australia and hired a lawyer.

The organization itself is good, but you better be careful of the management team.
Wonderful ,positive atmosphere ,for children parents and staff! Typical day doing a brief on play experiences and meals and nap times and difficult children for the day or sick children. I learn a lot in my day with them. The children are very dynamic and different and I always learn alot from them and write down what i learn each day! I enjoy teaching them to do finger painting and all the arts and crafts the most and yoga and reading books are my second favourtie. I love this age group 0-4 more then any other age group. I enjoy working with other staff and the parents and i enjoy the childrens company and enthusiasm to learn the most!
Sadly, many of the centre's and NOT all, under this company are injured in some way or another. The skills in leadership are.missing and from this the spiral descent is inevitable.
The young culture, inexperience to lead and lack of strong teaching philosophies create in OAC a breeding ground for.a ' fight to survive' mode.

Leadership team needs deep reflection.
Nice comany to work for, each campus is different. Nice benefits and wages. Not a fan of the philosophies at some campuses. But overall a good place to work.
Initially oac seems like a great company to work for, the centres are beautiful and modern. Eventually you realise that the company struggles to offer planning time but expects so much work from not only room leaders but assistants as well. Assistants do as much work as room leaders, but with less pay. Management doesn’t always listen or care about feedback from staff and most staff get overwhelmed and stressed because of this. There are so many staff meetings that are compulsory, and you’re expected to attend out of work hours events (Easter and Christmas parties) without getting paid. My experience with oac saw a huge staff turnover and many visits from DET. Casuals aren’t allowed to do many tasks (eg, serve food or do nappies) according to policies, so permanent staff are expected to pull most of the weight.
Pros
Training
Cons
OAC is a great company that equips its educators with lots of learning materials. It has a good structure and uses a great learning guides for the children.
I loved working for OAC. I loved the Philosophy of education and the centres were beautiful and well cared for. The head office did their best to support staff from the ground up and I was respected as a hard worker.
This is a money making factory. Plain and simple. The children's education and welfare does not take priority above this.
The centres are aimed at being "elite" and yet do this inly in show to the parents. No art in the walls, no mess and no fun. The rooms are sterile and give the impression of a display village to make parents think this is "premium", where in reality the children are so devoid of stimulation it presents clearly in their development.

Management are worse than the run of the mill childcare management, and that's really saying something. They will not hesitate to be rude, demeaning, cut your shifts etc should you not follow every demand made by them.

Do not be fooled, there is no education happening here, just bells and whistles. Avoid like the plague.
Pros
At award rate so I guess they're not technically underpaying?
Cons
Low pay, demeaning management, treated poorly, non existent education for the children.
Although it is aimed to provide best care through hiring great educators, the negative staff culture which the director unfortunately is part of, drives good educators away. Don't bother working here if you're not friends with the director. You'll need hair on your teeth working with the staff.