Only About Children Employee Reviews

Fractured philosophy
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Seaforth NSW11 August 2019
Sadly, many of the centre's and NOT all, under this company are injured in some way or another. The skills in leadership are.missing and from this the spiral descent is inevitable.
The young culture, inexperience to lead and lack of strong teaching philosophies create in OAC a breeding ground for.a ' fight to survive' mode.
Leadership team needs deep reflection.
Give a lot and receive little
Room leader (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham VIC2 August 2019
Initially oac seems like a great company to work for, the centres are beautiful and modern. Eventually you realise that the company struggles to offer planning time but expects so much work from not only room leaders but assistants as well. Assistants do as much work as room leaders, but with less pay. Management doesn’t always listen or care about feedback from staff and most staff get overwhelmed and stressed because of this. There are so many staff meetings that are compulsory, and you’re expected to attend out of work hours events (Easter and Christmas parties) without getting paid. My experience with oac saw a huge staff turnover and many visits from DET. Casuals aren’t allowed to do many tasks (eg, serve food or do nappies) according to policies, so permanent staff are expected to pull most of the weight.
Pros
Training
Supportive Workplace
Full time, Room Leader, Certified Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 July 2019
OAC is a great company that equips its educators with lots of learning materials. It has a good structure and uses a great learning guides for the children.
Supportive workplace with many opportunities
LEAD EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Highpoint Shopping Centre VIC7 July 2019
I loved working for OAC. I loved the Philosophy of education and the centres were beautiful and well cared for. The head office did their best to support staff from the ground up and I was respected as a hard worker.
Only about money.
Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC9 June 2019
This is a money making factory. Plain and simple. The children's education and welfare does not take priority above this.
The centres are aimed at being "elite" and yet do this inly in show to the parents. No art in the walls, no mess and no fun. The rooms are sterile and give the impression of a display village to make parents think this is "premium", where in reality the children are so devoid of stimulation it presents clearly in their development.
Management are worse than the run of the mill childcare management, and that's really saying something. They will not hesitate to be rude, demeaning, cut your shifts etc should you not follow every demand made by them.
Do not be fooled, there is no education happening here, just bells and whistles. Avoid like the plague.
Pros
At award rate so I guess they're not technically underpaying?
Cons
Low pay, demeaning management, treated poorly, non existent education for the children.
Unhealthy job culture
Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria NSW20 May 2019
Although it is aimed to provide best care through hiring great educators, the negative staff culture which the director unfortunately is part of, drives good educators away. Don't bother working here if you're not friends with the director. You'll need hair on your teeth working with the staff.
Good experience
CASUAL EDUCATOR (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 May 2019
I've had a good time working at OAC.
Nice director at my centre, mostly nice staff.
Downside is the hourly rate, convenient monday to friday, however quite long shifts.
Terrible company to work for
Early Childhood Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 April 2019
OAC has high staff turnover rate, increased amount of paperwork, low budget for resources and staff as well. They always think of cost cutting measures therefore they employ inexperienced staff.
Pros
Can easily get a job at OAC
Cons
A company that cares about money
An excellent and supportive workplace
Room Leader (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 July 2018
Oac is truly a fantastic workplace; I felt supported every day in my role as a Room Leader and was lucky to work with an amazing team of passionate educators.
Like a family
Childcare Educator (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia21 May 2018
I loved working here, the company is a fantastic company to work for with benefits for the staff and a holistic view of the children from the other areas of assistance they provide.
Supportive Co-educators
Permanent Full time Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  Highpoint Shopping Centre VIC24 April 2018
Supportive co-educators while working there. I enjoyed working there except for the ridiculous amount of documentations that we have to do. Great curriculum.
Pros
Lots of provided training for own professional development
Cons
Ridiculous amount of documentations expected
Permanent Part time - Childcare Educator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 November 2017
Good place to work. From my day one I have learned a lot here. Staff is also good to work with. HR and management are helpful and they understand your issues
Working at Only About Children is great.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 October 2017
Educators at Only About Children are passionate and always act as a role model for the children. The Centres are mostly new and provide everything a child might need.
mehh
EDUCATOR (Current Employee) –  Rhodes NSW26 September 2017
horrible dynamics apparently not at every campus though.

have only been emplyed for just over a year. Have had 20 people resign in this short amount of time
Good pay, and lovely consultant.
Early Childhood Teacher (Relief Staff) (Former Employee) –  Sydney Northern Suburbs NSW15 June 2017
This has been quite many years ago, so many things would have changed. I worked with them in Dec 2013 till end of the third quarter of 2014.

As I worked directly for the company, it was easier to get more work hours.

I think the hardest thing about being a relief teacher is having to meet new staff every time you go to a new centre.
Lovely workplace
Childcare Educator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 May 2017
I could put in practice all my theorical learning, being supported by the other educators which helped me learn and gain better understanding of good practices
Pros
Lovely people and environment, plenty of way to show staff recognition and appreciation
Cons
Not the best salary, unreliable shifts for casuals
Great company and provides best services
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Leichhardt NSW6 March 2017
Only About Children provided the best training when needed as well as helping employees work towards their goals. If you are looking for a great future in Early Childhood, Only About Children is the company would you love to work for.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Multitasking, supervising and paperwork
Oac
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  North Sydney, Australia16 January 2017
Assessment and management (including inclusion support) for children under 6 years, diagnosed with speech, language, voice, feeding and fluency impairment.
Great place
Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 December 2016
I started my traineeship here. I was taught by some of the best educators I know, the company provides great incentives and has a lot of room to move within the company
Productive and pleasant working environment
Spanish Teacher (Casual) (Current Employee) –  South Melbourne Vic22 February 2016
A typical day at work was always very exciting .I set daily goals for every shift ,I became more confident of my own capabilities,I learnt to apply new strategies when completing every task.

I always tried to contribute with ideas and activities for the children in care , helping my other team members to keep organised as we had a high number of children in different facilities.

The children were always adorable and keen to learn new things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Only About Children. Our community is ready to answer.