Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

Good pay, Flexible hours
Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Ringwood VIC11 October 2018
I work casually as I am studying full time. Work isn't as demanding. Management provides regular mandatory training to all employees and continuously provides further education to all staff. Occasionally when there are no shows, staff have increased workload since management is hesitant to call in staff from agency. Some coworkers are hard to deal with but most are a pleasure. Shift jobs mean flexible hours, which are perfect for students working part time.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short-staffed shifts are the worst
Family residential workplace, children playground for grandkids visiting
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW26 September 2018
This company is the best to work for. Your job is secure and your wellbeing is their priority. They treat their residents with dignity care and respect.Residents and their families are given opportunities to provide input or have a say on issues impacting on their wellbeing without fear.
Fun loving place with lots of activities to be performed with the client and with equall participation from client in them.
Health Care Assistant Trainee (Current Employee) –  Bossley Park NSW19 September 2018
I have completed my workplacement from opal age care they treat student as an staff member and invite student to attend there staff meetings.There staff is excellent in telling things how a particular things is to be done. very friendly way in teaching about how to operate a equipments and stuff.
I personally like this place for working .
Pros
free eating staff like coffee tea etc.
TOO Much work for Understaff
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Mount Hutton NSW18 June 2018
Management only see their point of view, disregarding staff about the tons of work and always understaff. It is hard work for staff and unfair for the residents
Pros
good staff
Cons
terrible work loads and stress
my desire work place.
Cleaner and Laundry Person (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 June 2018
I enjoyed working with friendly staffs and multidisciplinary team.
It has provided me an opportunity to develop my skills to support elderly people. If I get an opportunity to work in the aged care industry in Toowoomba I would definitely take it.
Not a pleasant environment
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashfield31 May 2018
Management are bullies, they don’t care about the workers.
There is no support from management, they expect staff to do tons of work, there’re is no staff appreciation especially from management, they only see staff’s faults but not their contribution to the company, they forget that they can not stand alone without the staff.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not a healthy environment
Top Quality Care for the Aged
Student (Former Employee) –  Ashmore QLD23 April 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff and residents at Opal Ashmore. Staff were professional, friendly, helpful and wonderful to the residents. It was a great first impression for myself as a student.
Difficult and stressful place to work
Registered Nurse...ppt (Current Employee) –  Raymond Terrace NSW4 April 2018
typical shift at work is computer based clerical type work, helping nurses with hands on care of up to 80 residents. Usually I learn nothing new at work. Have little to do directly with management as I work night shift.
Hardest part of job is actually getting there to a job that I do not enjoy and being continually tired. The best thing about my current workplace by far is the night team I work with.
We actively support each other and enjoy each others company
Pros
relatively close to home
Cons
limited staff - difficult to care for residents. Sub standard computer system.
Management with no care for staff and residents.
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Sydney South West NSW30 March 2018
No student support, unsafe work practices from some staff, students work tirelessly with no appreciation. Lack of empathy, compassion and people skills from management. Staff bullied and intimidated many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up. Couldn't wait to finish my placement here, never again!! Feelings of isolation and anxiety gone.
Pros
Absolutely Zero
Cons
Management and work practices
rewarding job
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD25 January 2018
love working here staff are great, residents are lovely, its a very rewarding job as for management I have never ha any trouble with them they are approachable and friendly
I am very Patient and dedicated with every job that i do
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 January 2018
I am looking for a partime or full time job as an AIN Assistant in Nursing.I have always worked with aged people in dementia unit
I have a certificate 3 in Aged Care both home and commuty care.
I am looking for a job where I can grow to become a better worker not just to myself but to the people that I am working with and also to those that I am looking after the older people.
i am hoping to work with u as i am very caring and loving to all my residents.
A work place which has it's challenges, but with the great team of AIN's I work with, all challenges are faced and defeated.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Calamvale QLD2 January 2018
There is no such thing as a perfect aged care facility, yet the staff at Opal endeavour to strive to make residents happy and keep them healthy, and endeavour to accommodate staff in all matters.
Unfortunately, due to tight time management, staff are not able to spend more time interacting with residents which is sometimes sad, as they often just want someone to talk to when their family are far away or do not often visit. But with cares being done, and buzzers being attended to most of the time, it is difficult for AIN's to spend quality time with any individual resident, however we do try to do this over a nail cutting session or while doing cares. Some may however argue that "socializing" is not our jobs, but we do care and they do get lonely.
Pros
A roster that accomodates my life style
Cons
Better hourly rates, run out of materials to do proper cares, flat hoist batteries causing disruption in cares.
Productive and fulfilling
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) student (Former Employee) –  Burpengary QLD5 December 2017
As a student I loved being a part of the team at opal I learned a lot and loved the job. The residents were very accommodating as well as the staff. I would recommend doing your placement here and being part of the opal team
Fun place to work
General Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Mona Vale NSW20 November 2017
Employers are good, people who work there are nice and I enjoy my days working with the staff who are all lovely people. I have been given many opportunities for proessional development.
Excellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Quakers Hill NSW 276313 November 2017
I have any issues with my jobs but I want to expand myself in organizations where i can explore my study as where I a working i got less opportunity to use my skills as there are fixed things to do
Work Environment
AIN Assistant In Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chiswick NSW7 November 2017
Taking care of residents was a challenging but crucial part of the job, well it was the job. I do not regret working there at all. Attending to not only the living needs, I had the deep honour and pleasure of sharing in the laughs, humour from the residents and staff, there is nothing like it.

The hardest part of the job, there are many, however the most hardest was trying to execute my duties to the allocated residents while having one staff member down, this was rather frequent(more than a year), the attitude from management didn't help either, but we stuck to our 'guns' and went to ground to finish the job.
The level of communication was good but not good enough, was an ongoing problem through out my employment, however we made it through with what we had, even without the help of management at times.

In the end I do not regret ever working there, most of the experiences I will treasure forever. I do miss working there with my former co-workers and with the residents, I must move onto other ventures.
Pros
Excellent work ambience with fellow staff members and residents.
Cons
Lack of tact and professionalism from management.
Amazing Workplace
Individual Support worker (Former Employee) –  Lakemba NSW26 October 2017
Its a home away from home........... The management is fantastic, friendly and charming. The residents are just amazing to interact with. Staff are just ready to let you learn.
Culture of bullying and intimidation by management
RN (Former Employee) –  Regional Vic22 October 2017
Mostly hard working and compassionate staff providing direct care to residents.
Facility Manager lacked people skills, empathy and compassion. Staff were bullied and felt intimidated. Many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up.
Support from management zero.
Bottom line-managing the budget.
Supplies of continence aids restricted, dressing products in short supply. equipment old and in need of upgrading.
I would not recommend working for this employer.
Pros
Mostly great care staff, working with older people who still have so much to offer.
Cons
Management culture, basic supplies restricted.
Improvements needed
Assistant In Nursing (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 October 2017
Every change of management brings more displeasure - not a happy place to work at or I imagine to live in. It really needs a complete look at how things are done and how they are handled. It is one thing to say they care but it's another to actually care.
Overworked and under appreciated
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA29 September 2017
The Workers often overwhelmed with work load. Unsafe staffing numbers. No support from senior staff or management. It appears money is more important than the residents.
Pros
The Residents/families
Cons
No support