Opal Aged Care
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Ain

this is a lovely place to work and the staff are very friendly, also management will listen to both staff and residents. you have a work-life balance.

Terrible place to work or advance your career

Team culture is non existent. Fast paced environment where care comes second place to making a profit. Management lack empathy people skills and emotions. In fact management here are behind the times and inadequate of dealing with issues they would rather hide and bury things to make themselves look capable and competent. Things would be a lot more professionally run if the right candidate was in place.

Pros

Residents and family members

Cons

Staff turnover unbelievable. Rudeness from management.Unclean furniture and dirty premises.

Not a Good Place to Work

When working as an AIN, the job is intensive. The residents are lovely, but the management is terrible. It is like a dictatorship. No staff recognition, and fellow AINs running things. Not enough RNs and the good ones are few and far between. Some AINs are no concerned with patient welfare. I would not send my relatives here.

Cons

Management; short staffed

Manager is not professional and doesn’t deal with problems in the facility. Poorly run and door always shut and not available when you need to raise concerns. Everyone is unhappy and leaving the place. I wouldn’t recommend at all unless under a new manager . Jensen why they have a lot of staff come and go. And unappreciated and under valued.

Bullies!

Management are all bullies, Had to fight for shifts and was scared of supervisors and management. Money driven, management get bonuses to stay under budget each quarter therefore they cut corners everywhere to the residents demise. Residents suffer the consequences. They turn staff against each other and have absolutely NO staff appreciation! Overworked Underpaid and all you do is run your butt off to try and help the residents and families. WOULD NEVER WORK THERE AGAIN! Had to quit as I had a nervous breakdown due to the stressful aggressive work environment!

Pros

Only good part of the jobs were the residents

Very rushed and stressful environment. Poor work culture, where you are made to feel guilty if you call in sick or can't cover a shift. Management are very happy to leave the floor short staffed and have staff miss breaks. No appreciation given to staffA lot of staff hired with no respect for residents or other team members, with no support given to staff feel they made need extra training.Treated more like business, rather than a home where over a hundred people live.

Pros

Lovely Residents and staff

Cons

High pressure, stressful, constantly short staffed

Glad I left.

We ended up always having to come in early and leave late. There was just too much work to be done in our own hours. We never got paid overtime and management never listened to our concerns. It was highly stressful and a heavy strain on anyone's mental health. A lot was expected but in a very unrealistic way and we were always understaffed. At times, I came across a resident that was either choking or had fell, and there is no nurse in sight. The residents are the only good thing about that place.

Pros

Great residents

Cons

Management doesn't care about their employees, VERY understaffed.

Management from facility to HR to CEO are buĺlies

Bullying from management and lots of competition within all fields. Plenty of shifts available if you would like to pick up extra but still be prepared to work short.

Pros

Lots of vacant shifts to pick up

Cons

Bullying

Rewarding interactions with residents, management not so much.

From the get go the interview was strange, and mostly unnecessary for the role. I applied for a General Services role, which was cleaning and kitchen duties. In the interview I was told that it was unlikely I would be hired because I did not have any qualifications (in cleaning??) I did have a lot of experience. The residents really made the workplace bearable, it was extremely understaffed, with no attempt to rectify it and training was poor.I fell pregnant and applied for maternity leave (unpaid leave, casual employee) to hold my position for me when I returned, it was approved. Upon returning after around a year, I was told by management that I would have to completely re-apply and re-interview for a job there, and that they weren't hiring at the time so chances were no job for me. So I'm not sure what the point of filling in the forms and getting it all approved was for, if not to have a job to come back to.

Pros

The residents, large company

Cons

Management, understaffed

Best place to work at.

Best and wonderful services, amazing staff and management team. beautiful and big place to work at, with amazing opportunity to sharpen your skills and gradually upgrade your career!!

Not good at all.

Poor, poor management. They talk at you not to you. Hypercritical with no appreciation of hard working staff. Staff do provide the best care to the residents with the resources that they have, which at times is abysmal- no gloves, continence pads or wipes, dressing packs, wound dressings, even hot water some days. Very unorganised roster. Chaotic and stressful. Broken/not appropriate equipment. Constantly short staffed. Reprimanded for taking allocated (union supported!) work breaks.

Pros

Hard working kitchen laundry care and nursing staff

Cons

Bad management

experience cleaner

Opal is very good place to work as employees and supervisor are very supportive, management is always concern about the betterment of employees and personal and workplace balance.

Good

Good job relocated from Melbourne but ended being too far from family stressful job but very rewarding lots of off site traveling back to ringwood for group trainings

not a good place to work

Management is very bad. Unrealistic work load and nurses under stress. Communication from management team to care team is very bad. Bullying happens. Try to save money for every single material. Short of staffs at all times.

productive and collaborative workplace

Seeking position as support worker with core senior care and utilizing skills and assist the residents with daily living activities such as bathing, eating, playing games, washing and mobility management.

Terrible place to work at

Bullying culture no care for the residents. Failled accrediation on a number of ocassions. Staff disrespect other staff members. Policies and procedures arent followed

Pros

Lovely residents

Cons

Bullying of staff members

I enjoy working within this company.

I find most staff deeply care for their residents and go above and beyond for them. We work together to complete tasks. Overall I enjoy my shifts and would recommend working at Opal based on my facility.

Management out of touch with the reality of our jobs. Never enough time. Usually work at least half an hour before and after each shift unpaid.

Management never listen to staff or even try to understand what actually goes on. Communication is appalling on every level. We should know what level resident's diet modification etc are and at least a meeting specific to kitchen staff. Bits of information are written on paper towel and left for staff to find. There is absolutely no handover done. You walk into each shift blindly. There are 2 cleaners on and they have to distribute clothes, pick up cups twice a day and set up dining rooms. There is never time to do everything outlined in shift description. Management never want to invest in quality staff and generally look down on GSO's.

Great colleague

staff are amazing and great to work with. It can be stressful as there at times that we are shorthanded . Its a go go environment from the time you start work till end of the day.

excellent place to work

overall a great company to work. top management is really supportive. Management in individual care homes has a well-structured organisation. overall a great place to work.

Loved working at Opal want to return

I worked at Opal a few years ago and I done a stupid thing and resigned due to personal reasons. I have sent in an application as you normally do when you apply for a position. I have not yet heard any news good or bad as to this day. It's so frustrating waiting for a reply. Whether it be good or bad I would like to know. Otherwise the facility I worked for was great the people were friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opal Aged Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Opal Aged Care