Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

Avoid Avoid and Avoid
PCA (Former Employee) –  Outer East melbourne10 June 2019
Terrible company to work for . Horrible work culture, where bullying by both mangement and staff is rampant.

They do not follow policies and procedures and they promise the residents the earth and they dont deliver.

Avoid , Avoid , Avoid.
Pros
Some Good Staff.
Cons
Poor Work environment
Awful company to work for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 May 2019
Apply elsewhere-I wish i did!. This is a company that puts profit over people at all costs! Opal premium is a disgrace..and does not align with my values and ethics. You also have to wonder about a company that provides incentives (bonus 's) to their staff if they refer someone to work for Opal and they stay longer than 6 months. High turn over of staff and substandard care due to not enough staff coverage. Work culture poor with expectations to work double shifts all too common and not paid accordingly or correctly. There are great jobs out there in Aged care keep looking... as you will not find job satisfaction with this company.
Cons
No salary packaging as it is a company / business for profit
It was a good workplace at Opal Paynesville.. fun to work with the team.
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Paynesville VIC25 March 2019
They are understanding with the shift / days than you are able to work especially if you have kids. As myself have a kid i was only able to work AM shift as part time permanent.
Worst work place
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW2 March 2019
No respect for staffs.
Too much workload.
Poor and arrogant management team.
Always short staff and long hours. Don’t like working here and Biasness towards staff.
Pros
Friendly staffs and resident
Cons
Everything except staff and resident
Most rewarding feel like you make a difference
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW27 February 2019
I worked in this place for the past seven years. support from management good. Team members don't appreciate each other job, lack of respect for each other
Pros
Making difference in people lives
Cons
Team members need to appreciate/respect each other
Working on new Opal age care (bankstown) is a very hectic experience.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW26 January 2019
No respect for staffs.
Harsh communication of management.
Always short of staffs. Policy is not to replace for sick calls. Not providing enough equipments.even no trolleys for room service. If staffs want to talk about any issues, they are given warnings. Too much profit oriented . Don't have any feelings for staffs. Residents are also compromising because of less staffs and not enough equipments.
Pros
Cons
Not good for long term work.
A likeable working environment
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Burpengary QLD17 December 2018
A likeable working environment that needs a lot of improvement. I have mastered the skill of providing holistic care to residents. The management has the residents at heart. The workplace culture is really good, a lot of teamwork and cooperation. The hardest part of the job is when a resident passes away. The most enjoyable part is when residents smile and show appreciation for what you do for them.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Staffing ratios
Very stressed place to work for
Ain (Former Employee) –  Springwood NSW13 December 2018
I worked for Opal for 8 years.. The first 5 years were fantastic, but the last 3 years were not so.... Opal needs to look at the management that run the facilities There has been a number of staff leave because of management, but no one listens... I only hope the residents future comes out best because of it. Time will tell
Pros
Lovely residents, nice staff
Cons
Long hours, under staffed, Bad management
Fast pased
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Armadale WA14 November 2018
- Used oral communication to maintain positive and respectful relationships
- Provided support to two different people living with dementia
- Followed individualized support plans by bed bathing; dressing, undressing and grooming; eating and drinking using appropriate feeding techniques; oral hygiene; shaving, showering, toileting and use of continence aids as well as using aids and equipment, including devices used by the person
- Transferring a person between bed and chair, transferring a person in and out of car
- Recognize and respect the needs of people from diverse social and cultural backgrounds

Friendly residents and staff that are will help you when you don't understand how to go about a task or require help.
management is not good
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Orange NSW11 November 2018
cant have annual leave no sick days allowed have to go to work sick and always short not a good place to work .. residents are lovely so are staff …. management is un approachable
Pros
residents and staff
Cons
short staffed and management
Good pay, Flexible hours
Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Ringwood VIC11 October 2018
I work casually as I am studying full time. Work isn't as demanding. Management provides regular mandatory training to all employees and continuously provides further education to all staff. Occasionally when there are no shows, staff have increased workload since management is hesitant to call in staff from agency. Some coworkers are hard to deal with but most are a pleasure. Shift jobs mean flexible hours, which are perfect for students working part time.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short-staffed shifts are the worst
Family residential workplace, children playground for grandkids visiting
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW26 September 2018
This company is the best to work for. Your job is secure and your wellbeing is their priority. They treat their residents with dignity care and respect.Residents and their families are given opportunities to provide input or have a say on issues impacting on their wellbeing without fear.
Fun loving place with lots of activities to be performed with the client and with equall participation from client in them.
Health Care Assistant Trainee (Current Employee) –  Bossley Park NSW19 September 2018
I have completed my workplacement from opal age care they treat student as an staff member and invite student to attend there staff meetings.There staff is excellent in telling things how a particular things is to be done. very friendly way in teaching about how to operate a equipments and stuff.
I personally like this place for working .
Pros
free eating staff like coffee tea etc.
productive
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD6 August 2018
detailed handovers, lots of shifts, long shifts, high staff turn over, friendly and helpful staff, nice staff room, large dinning room for residents entertainment
Pros
lots of shifts
Cons
high staff turn over
TOO Much work for Understaff
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Mount Hutton NSW18 June 2018
Management only see their point of view, disregarding staff about the tons of work and always understaff. It is hard work for staff and unfair for the residents
Pros
good staff
Cons
terrible work loads and stress
my desire work place.
Cleaner and Laundry Person (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 June 2018
I enjoyed working with friendly staffs and multidisciplinary team.
It has provided me an opportunity to develop my skills to support elderly people. If I get an opportunity to work in the aged care industry in Toowoomba I would definitely take it.
Not a pleasant environment
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashfield31 May 2018
Management are bullies, they don’t care about the workers.
There is no support from management, they expect staff to do tons of work, there’re is no staff appreciation especially from management, they only see staff’s faults but not their contribution to the company, they forget that they can not stand alone without the staff.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not a healthy environment
Top Quality Care for the Aged
Student (Former Employee) –  Ashmore QLD23 April 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff and residents at Opal Ashmore. Staff were professional, friendly, helpful and wonderful to the residents. It was a great first impression for myself as a student.
Difficult and stressful place to work
Registered Nurse...ppt (Current Employee) –  Raymond Terrace NSW4 April 2018
typical shift at work is computer based clerical type work, helping nurses with hands on care of up to 80 residents. Usually I learn nothing new at work. Have little to do directly with management as I work night shift.
Hardest part of job is actually getting there to a job that I do not enjoy and being continually tired. The best thing about my current workplace by far is the night team I work with.
We actively support each other and enjoy each others company
Pros
relatively close to home
Cons
limited staff - difficult to care for residents. Sub standard computer system.
Management with no care for staff and residents.
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Sydney South West NSW30 March 2018
No student support, unsafe work practices from some staff, students work tirelessly with no appreciation. Lack of empathy, compassion and people skills from management. Staff bullied and intimidated many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up. Couldn't wait to finish my placement here, never again!! Feelings of isolation and anxiety gone.
Pros
Absolutely Zero
Cons
Management and work practices

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opal Aged Care. Our community is ready to answer.