Opal Aged Care
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

Good job relocated from Melbourne but ended being too far from family stressful job but very rewarding lots of off site traveling back to ringwood for group trainings
From the get go the interview was strange, and mostly unnecessary for the role. I applied for a General Services role, which was cleaning and kitchen duties. In the interview I was told that it was unlikely I would be hired because I did not have any qualifications (in cleaning??) I did have a lot of experience. The residents really made the workplace bearable, it was extremely understaffed, with no attempt to rectify it and training was poor.I fell pregnant and applied for maternity leave (unpaid leave, casual employee) to hold my position for me when I returned, it was approved. Upon returning after around a year, I was told by management that I would have to completely re-apply and re-interview for a job there, and that they weren't hiring at the time so chances were no job for me. So I'm not sure what the point of filling in the forms and getting it all approved was for, if not to have a job to come back to.
Pros
The residents, large company
Cons
Management, understaffed
Best and wonderful services, amazing staff and management team. beautiful and big place to work at, with amazing opportunity to sharpen your skills and gradually upgrade your career!!
Poor, poor management. They talk at you not to you. Hypercritical with no appreciation of hard working staff. Staff do provide the best care to the residents with the resources that they have, which at times is abysmal- no gloves, continence pads or wipes, dressing packs, wound dressings, even hot water some days. Very unorganised roster. Chaotic and stressful. Broken/not appropriate equipment. Constantly short staffed. Reprimanded for taking allocated (union supported!) work breaks.
Pros
Hard working kitchen laundry care and nursing staff
Cons
Bad management
Opal is very good place to work as employees and supervisor are very supportive, management is always concern about the betterment of employees and personal and workplace balance.
Management is very bad. Unrealistic work load and nurses under stress. Communication from management team to care team is very bad. Bullying happens. Try to save money for every single material. Short of staffs at all times.
Seeking position as support worker with core senior care and utilizing skills and assist the residents with daily living activities such as bathing, eating, playing games, washing and mobility management.
Bullying culture no care for the residents. Failled accrediation on a number of ocassions. Staff disrespect other staff members. Policies and procedures arent followed
Pros
Lovely residents
Cons
Bullying of staff members
I find most staff deeply care for their residents and go above and beyond for them. We work together to complete tasks. Overall I enjoy my shifts and would recommend working at Opal based on my facility.
Management never listen to staff or even try to understand what actually goes on. Communication is appalling on every level. We should know what level resident's diet modification etc are and at least a meeting specific to kitchen staff. Bits of information are written on paper towel and left for staff to find. There is absolutely no handover done. You walk into each shift blindly. There are 2 cleaners on and they have to distribute clothes, pick up cups twice a day and set up dining rooms. There is never time to do everything outlined in shift description. Management never want to invest in quality staff and generally look down on GSO's.
staff are amazing and great to work with. It can be stressful as there at times that we are shorthanded . Its a go go environment from the time you start work till end of the day.
overall a great company to work. top management is really supportive. Management in individual care homes has a well-structured organisation. overall a great place to work.
I worked at Opal a few years ago and I done a stupid thing and resigned due to personal reasons. I have sent in an application as you normally do when you apply for a position. I have not yet heard any news good or bad as to this day. It's so frustrating waiting for a reply. Whether it be good or bad I would like to know. Otherwise the facility I worked for was great the people were friendly.
Worked over a few facilities, definitely would not recommend springwood!!!!! As a new care member, I felt bullied, and isolated. Two paeticular team members out of very small amount, dictate who stays and who goes, hence bullying, when it came to going to management for a concern, regarding a leadership team member the whole meeting was spent with the manager defending the RN... This manager appears to care more on her image in the roll she has rather than the team Another facility has great management team, can't fault them as of yet, however when working on the floor, the RNs fail when it comes to leadership as many care member speak their own language and refuse to abuse by Opal policy of english only in the work place, I am am one of 3 people, who work separate shifts who only speak english... This has been raised many times, yet no action. Other than the approach of the language use, this facility is top notch!
I love my job and the residence and staff i work with. Like any job it has its stresses and it's ups and downs and sometimes i feel like im being personally saute out like they were trying to get rid of me but everyone has a job to do and when certain things happen it must be investigated. Im a good worker and i work hard. I love my job and I hope it continues.
Went for an interview at North Lakes site, unprofessionally interviewed, the people who interviewed me looked like they had been pulled off the floor to interview me, very pretentious in their mannerisms, don’t know why I even bothered applying here, even after reading and warned about this place, never got back to me. Word of advice to management, apply some courtesy and let people know if they were successful or not, reflects rather poorly on yourselves. know if they
The management is the main problem. Management lies. There are a lot of bullying happening with some staff & from management. Opal Warrnambool is not a good place to work at.
iam very much satisfied to work with opal aged care , its great place where nice staff coperative ,the management is helpful , they always recognise your hardwork and award with employ of the month...
Pros
free lunch on occasions
The workload and stress put on AIN's is beyond what we are paid for, the management is the worst and we are not treated well in my eyes. The workplace between staff is a great environment and we enjoy coming to work to see each other, aged care is a challenging job but working for opal was the worst experience I've ever had.
I love my job but want to get back into the administration work. The company provides ongoing education on a regular basis and there are general staff meetings all the time giving staff the opportunity to give positive or negative feedback so as to help improve the quality of service we give.
Went for an interview, the manager was so cold, no warmth, no nothing, like a cold robot, no humanity there. I was asked how would I feel about working long hours without a break! never got back to me either whether I had the job or not.
  1. Employee Reviews