Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews for Assistant in Nursing

Taking care of Residents showering, dressing and feeding residents
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Former Employee) –  Orange NSW29 June 2019
Opal Aged Care Orange has a Facility Manager who does not care who she employees as long as the work gets done. You can't complain about being bullied or if you see a resident gets mistreated because they don't look into complaints if it against their friends and then they will complain about you and get you in trouble as pay back, I think it looks bad when employees get paid from recommending someone to work there.
Pros
Cons
Most staff from management down don't care about how they treat Residents
It was a good workplace at Opal Paynesville.. fun to work with the team.
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Paynesville VIC25 March 2019
They are understanding with the shift / days than you are able to work especially if you have kids. As myself have a kid i was only able to work AM shift as part time permanent.
Worst work place
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW2 March 2019
No respect for staffs.
Too much workload.
Poor and arrogant management team.
Always short staff and long hours. Don’t like working here and Biasness towards staff.
Pros
Friendly staffs and resident
Cons
Everything except staff and resident
Most rewarding feel like you make a difference
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW27 February 2019
I worked in this place for the past seven years. support from management good. Team members don't appreciate each other job, lack of respect for each other
Pros
Making difference in people lives
Cons
Team members need to appreciate/respect each other
Working on new Opal age care (bankstown) is a very hectic experience.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW26 January 2019
No respect for staffs.
Harsh communication of management.
Always short of staffs. Policy is not to replace for sick calls. Not providing enough equipments.even no trolleys for room service. If staffs want to talk about any issues, they are given warnings. Too much profit oriented . Don't have any feelings for staffs. Residents are also compromising because of less staffs and not enough equipments.
Pros
Cons
Not good for long term work.
A likeable working environment
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Burpengary QLD17 December 2018
A likeable working environment that needs a lot of improvement. I have mastered the skill of providing holistic care to residents. The management has the residents at heart. The workplace culture is really good, a lot of teamwork and cooperation. The hardest part of the job is when a resident passes away. The most enjoyable part is when residents smile and show appreciation for what you do for them.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Staffing ratios
Very stressed place to work for
Ain (Former Employee) –  Springwood NSW13 December 2018
I worked for Opal for 8 years.. The first 5 years were fantastic, but the last 3 years were not so.... Opal needs to look at the management that run the facilities There has been a number of staff leave because of management, but no one listens... I only hope the residents future comes out best because of it. Time will tell
Pros
Lovely residents, nice staff
Cons
Long hours, under staffed, Bad management
management is not good
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Orange NSW11 November 2018
cant have annual leave no sick days allowed have to go to work sick and always short not a good place to work .. residents are lovely so are staff …. management is un approachable
Pros
residents and staff
Cons
short staffed and management
Family residential workplace, children playground for grandkids visiting
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW26 September 2018
This company is the best to work for. Your job is secure and your wellbeing is their priority. They treat their residents with dignity care and respect.Residents and their families are given opportunities to provide input or have a say on issues impacting on their wellbeing without fear.
productive
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD6 August 2018
detailed handovers, lots of shifts, long shifts, high staff turn over, friendly and helpful staff, nice staff room, large dinning room for residents entertainment
Pros
lots of shifts
Cons
high staff turn over
TOO Much work for Understaff
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Mount Hutton NSW18 June 2018
Management only see their point of view, disregarding staff about the tons of work and always understaff. It is hard work for staff and unfair for the residents
Pros
good staff
Cons
terrible work loads and stress
rewarding job
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD25 January 2018
love working here staff are great, residents are lovely, its a very rewarding job as for management I have never ha any trouble with them they are approachable and friendly
A work place which has it's challenges, but with the great team of AIN's I work with, all challenges are faced and defeated.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Calamvale QLD2 January 2018
There is no such thing as a perfect aged care facility, yet the staff at Opal endeavour to strive to make residents happy and keep them healthy, and endeavour to accommodate staff in all matters.
Unfortunately, due to tight time management, staff are not able to spend more time interacting with residents which is sometimes sad, as they often just want someone to talk to when their family are far away or do not often visit. But with cares being done, and buzzers being attended to most of the time, it is difficult for AIN's to spend quality time with any individual resident, however we do try to do this over a nail cutting session or while doing cares. Some may however argue that "socializing" is not our jobs, but we do care and they do get lonely.
Pros
A roster that accomodates my life style
Cons
Better hourly rates, run out of materials to do proper cares, flat hoist batteries causing disruption in cares.
Work Environment
AIN Assistant In Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chiswick NSW7 November 2017
Taking care of residents was a challenging but crucial part of the job, well it was the job. I do not regret working there at all. Attending to not only the living needs, I had the deep honour and pleasure of sharing in the laughs, humour from the residents and staff, there is nothing like it.

The hardest part of the job, there are many, however the most hardest was trying to execute my duties to the allocated residents while having one staff member down, this was rather frequent(more than a year), the attitude from management didn't help either, but we stuck to our 'guns' and went to ground to finish the job.
The level of communication was good but not good enough, was an ongoing problem through out my employment, however we made it through with what we had, even without the help of management at times.

In the end I do not regret ever working there, most of the experiences I will treasure forever. I do miss working there with my former co-workers and with the residents, I must move onto other ventures.
Pros
Excellent work ambience with fellow staff members and residents.
Cons
Lack of tact and professionalism from management.
Improvements needed
Assistant In Nursing (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 October 2017
Every change of management brings more displeasure - not a happy place to work at or I imagine to live in. It really needs a complete look at how things are done and how they are handled. It is one thing to say they care but it's another to actually care.
top place to work
ain/activities officer (Former Employee) –  opal raymond terrace gardens18 July 2017
Loved working there the staff are awesome as are the residents. Hated leaving there but had to due to personal reasons. Everyone there works as a team.
Pros
great staff
Great Place to work
Assistant in Nursing (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Ashmore QLD6 June 2017
Opal is a terrific ,fun and amazing place to work . it has great staff and their values for taking care of the residents goes above and beyond with every resident receiving the best care and attention
Pros
great staff /residents benifits and career options
mis managed
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Former Employee) –  Rutherford NSW27 May 2017
management poor,always short staffed,no benefits for employes,even no meal for employe doing double shifts,rules are bent only to the requirement of manager
Fabulous work experience
Assistant in Nursing (Casual) (Current Employee) –  NSW13 March 2017
Had fun working with amazing nurses and contended residents. Management was very good and understood our problems and time management issues. The enjoyable part of working here was the fantastic staff and the management.
over worked and under paid
AIN (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 February 2017
This company has too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Staff are over worked and under paid.
management needs to listen to what there staff are saying.
Pros
None that i can think of
Cons
Long hours, no appreciation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opal Aged Care. Our community is ready to answer.