Opal Aged Care
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse12 reviews
Australia12 reviews
Encouragement is given for registered nurses to develop professionally and academically if the need arises.

A typical day at work is busy with the usual tasks allocated to registered nurses; such as giving medications, doctors rounds, wound care, writing progress notes, communicating with relatives and delegating tasks to junior staff.

Workplace culture is mostly friendly and congenial yet professional. The hardest part of the job a times is not having enough help especially on the evening shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is gaining satisifaction with completion of tasks (wound dressings) and helping the residents lead a more fulfulling life style.
Management is very bad. Unrealistic work load and nurses under stress. Communication from management team to care team is very bad. Bullying happens. Try to save money for every single material. Short of staffs at all times.
Went for an interview at North Lakes site, unprofessionally interviewed, the people who interviewed me looked like they had been pulled off the floor to interview me, very pretentious in their mannerisms, don’t know why I even bothered applying here, even after reading and warned about this place, never got back to me. Word of advice to management, apply some courtesy and let people know if they were successful or not, reflects rather poorly on yourselves.

know if they
Management are the worst. They are unfair and harassing. They promise residents the earth and won’t deliver. They only use policies if it suits them. They have zero care factor. They will pay you to recommend new staff as most other staff have heard about how poor Opal are. Just don’t do it. There are other aged care providers out there.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Apply elsewhere-I wish i did!. This is a company that puts profit over people at all costs! Opal premium is a disgrace..and does not align with my values and ethics. You also have to wonder about a company that provides incentives (bonus 's) to their staff if they refer someone to work for Opal and they stay longer than 6 months. High turn over of staff and substandard care due to not enough staff coverage. Work culture poor with expectations to work double shifts all too common and not paid accordingly or correctly. There are great jobs out there in Aged care keep looking... as you will not find job satisfaction with this company.
Cons
No salary packaging as it is a company / business for profit
Management are bullies, they don’t care about the workers.
There is no support from management, they expect staff to do tons of work, there’re is no staff appreciation especially from management, they only see staff’s faults but not their contribution to the company, they forget that they can not stand alone without the staff.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not a healthy environment
typical shift at work is computer based clerical type work, helping nurses with hands on care of up to 80 residents. Usually I learn nothing new at work. Have little to do directly with management as I work night shift.
Hardest part of job is actually getting there to a job that I do not enjoy and being continually tired. The best thing about my current workplace by far is the night team I work with.

We actively support each other and enjoy each others company
Pros
relatively close to home
Cons
limited staff - difficult to care for residents. Sub standard computer system.
Mostly hard working and compassionate staff providing direct care to residents.
Facility Manager lacked people skills, empathy and compassion. Staff were bullied and felt intimidated. Many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up.

Support from management zero.

Bottom line-managing the budget.

Supplies of continence aids restricted, dressing products in short supply. equipment old and in need of upgrading.

I would not recommend working for this employer.
Pros
Mostly great care staff, working with older people who still have so much to offer.
Cons
Management culture, basic supplies restricted.
The Workers often overwhelmed with work load. Unsafe staffing numbers. No support from senior staff or management. It appears money is more important than the residents.
Pros
The Residents/families
Cons
No support
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Opal Aged Care?
Good experience to learn how the Aged Care Funding Instrument work within Australia. Aged Care in Australia is a large part of the health sector in Australia
Pros
Good team work
Cons
working night shift
Worst company I have ever worked for . So focused on profits cost cutting is scrupulous. No support for the hard working floor staff just bonuses and perks at the management level . And have i met some insane mentaly unstable unemployable managers . Seems all Opal attracts are the deros no one elso will employ all good managets wouldnt lower their standards to work for this company ....... a big top end clean out is needed your brand is mud .
Pros
Floor staff rock .all understand the rott
Cons
Bloody awfull place revolting attitude toward what they are actualy providing communities
Very busy. In addition to medication administration for 30+ residents, RNs are responsible for doing dressings that are due, case conferences, follow up of issues, etc.
Management was supportive.

Co-workers do not their part most of the time so other shifts have to cop with what's left.

Most enjoyable part was interacting with the residents.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Discrepancy with pay from time to time, delayed pay - only happened once but pay was delayed for 1 month, heavy workload, no salary packaging