Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

Top Quality Care for the Aged
Student (Former Employee) –  Ashmore QLD23 April 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff and residents at Opal Ashmore. Staff were professional, friendly, helpful and wonderful to the residents. It was a great first impression for myself as a student.
Difficult and stressful place to work
Registered Nurse...ppt (Current Employee) –  Raymond Terrace NSW4 April 2018
typical shift at work is computer based clerical type work, helping nurses with hands on care of up to 80 residents. Usually I learn nothing new at work. Have little to do directly with management as I work night shift.
Hardest part of job is actually getting there to a job that I do not enjoy and being continually tired. The best thing about my current workplace by far is the night team I work with.
We actively support each other and enjoy each others company
Pros
relatively close to home
Cons
limited staff - difficult to care for residents. Sub standard computer system.
Management with no care for staff and residents.
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Sydney South West NSW30 March 2018
No student support, unsafe work practices from some staff, students work tirelessly with no appreciation. Lack of empathy, compassion and people skills from management. Staff bullied and intimidated many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up. Couldn't wait to finish my placement here, never again!! Feelings of isolation and anxiety gone.
Pros
Absolutely Zero
Cons
Management and work practices
rewarding job
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD25 January 2018
love working here staff are great, residents are lovely, its a very rewarding job as for management I have never ha any trouble with them they are approachable and friendly
A work place which has it's challenges, but with the great team of AIN's I work with, all challenges are faced and defeated.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Calamvale QLD2 January 2018
There is no such thing as a perfect aged care facility, yet the staff at Opal endeavour to strive to make residents happy and keep them healthy, and endeavour to accommodate staff in all matters.
Unfortunately, due to tight time management, staff are not able to spend more time interacting with residents which is sometimes sad, as they often just want someone to talk to when their family are far away or do not often visit. But with cares being done, and buzzers being attended to most of the time, it is difficult for AIN's to spend quality time with any individual resident, however we do try to do this over a nail cutting session or while doing cares. Some may however argue that "socializing" is not our jobs, but we do care and they do get lonely.
Pros
A roster that accomodates my life style
Cons
Better hourly rates, run out of materials to do proper cares, flat hoist batteries causing disruption in cares.
Productive and fulfilling
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) student (Former Employee) –  Burpengary QLD5 December 2017
As a student I loved being a part of the team at opal I learned a lot and loved the job. The residents were very accommodating as well as the staff. I would recommend doing your placement here and being part of the opal team
Fun place to work
General Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Mona Vale NSW20 November 2017
Employers are good, people who work there are nice and I enjoy my days working with the staff who are all lovely people. I have been given many opportunities for proessional development.
Excellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Quakers Hill NSW 276313 November 2017
I have any issues with my jobs but I want to expand myself in organizations where i can explore my study as where I a working i got less opportunity to use my skills as there are fixed things to do
Work Environment
AIN Assistant In Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chiswick NSW7 November 2017
Taking care of residents was a challenging but crucial part of the job, well it was the job. I do not regret working there at all. Attending to not only the living needs, I had the deep honour and pleasure of sharing in the laughs, humour from the residents and staff, there is nothing like it.

The hardest part of the job, there are many, however the most hardest was trying to execute my duties to the allocated residents while having one staff member down, this was rather frequent(more than a year), the attitude from management didn't help either, but we stuck to our 'guns' and went to ground to finish the job.
The level of communication was good but not good enough, was an ongoing problem through out my employment, however we made it through with what we had, even without the help of management at times.

In the end I do not regret ever working there, most of the experiences I will treasure forever. I do miss working there with my former co-workers and with the residents, I must move onto other ventures.
Pros
Excellent work ambience with fellow staff members and residents.
Cons
Lack of tact and professionalism from management.
Amazing Workplace
Individual Support worker (Former Employee) –  Lakemba NSW26 October 2017
Its a home away from home........... The management is fantastic, friendly and charming. The residents are just amazing to interact with. Staff are just ready to let you learn.
Culture of bullying and intimidation by management
RN (Former Employee) –  Regional Vic22 October 2017
Mostly hard working and compassionate staff providing direct care to residents.
Facility Manager lacked people skills, empathy and compassion. Staff were bullied and felt intimidated. Many residents reported that they were concerned about retribution if they spoke up.
Support from management zero.
Bottom line-managing the budget.
Supplies of continence aids restricted, dressing products in short supply. equipment old and in need of upgrading.
I would not recommend working for this employer.
Pros
Mostly great care staff, working with older people who still have so much to offer.
Cons
Management culture, basic supplies restricted.
Improvements needed
Assistant In Nursing (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 October 2017
Every change of management brings more displeasure - not a happy place to work at or I imagine to live in. It really needs a complete look at how things are done and how they are handled. It is one thing to say they care but it's another to actually care.
Overworked and under appreciated
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA29 September 2017
The Workers often overwhelmed with work load. Unsafe staffing numbers. No support from senior staff or management. It appears money is more important than the residents.
Pros
The Residents/families
Cons
No support
All good need a change.i luv the residants there and fellow staff.
Hotel servisers (Current Employee) –  Murdoch WA10 September 2017
Ive been in age for 7 yrs it is time for a change.working at opal has been good and working with my work colleagues is fantastic one big happy family.
Pros
Working in age care has been great.
Cons
I need a change.
Unsupportive and demoralising
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Victoria16 August 2017
Culture of blame and finger pointing. Policies and procedures that are unworkable, mostly irrelevant and unrealistic in an aged care environment. Senior management lead with threats and intimidation. Absolutely no support. Would not recommend. No work life balance at all expected to be available 24/7
Pros
Staff onsite
Cons
Senior management and unrealistic expectations
good workplace
General Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 July 2017
excellent workplace except being as a casual and not allowed by the boss to become part time and shifts were cut back and told they dont want to put on casual workers. overall good place to work except that con
top place to work
ain/activities officer (Former Employee) –  opal raymond terrace gardens18 July 2017
Loved working there the staff are awesome as are the residents. Hated leaving there but had to due to personal reasons. Everyone there works as a team.
Pros
great staff
GSO/Kitchen Hand (Former Employee) –  Kirra Beach QLD10 July 2017
it was a great starter job for anyone at the age of 17 years of age.
Great environment for anyone and everyone the staff were loving and caring about everything and everyone.
Good people to chat with and laugh with while staying focus on the task.
Pros
Happy Enviroment
Cons
The relationships you make with the residence that pass
Good staff, wonderful residents
Counsellor completed diploma, GSO in age care (Current Employee) –  Berkeley Vale NSW25 June 2017
A day at Opal Age Care changes continuously, adaptability to change would be a must.
The residents are just wonderful and being able to learn and care for them is amazing.
Workplace culture is moving with the times and focusing with diversity well.
The day can be very fast paced and the support is not always there when needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Ongoing changes., management
great place
Breakfast Chef (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 June 2017
a typical day at work: listening to all the oldies tell there stories
what I learned never rely on anyone
management: good but could use some improvements
work place culture: mix races and friendly people
hardest part of the job: keeping everyone happy
most enjoyable part of the job: sitting down and making the residents smile
Pros
great place to work
Cons
backstabbers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opal Aged Care. Our community is ready to answer.