Opal Aged Care Employee Reviews

Volunteer experience
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 September 2016
I enjoy helping out the hairdresser and interacting with the elderly residents. it is a great company to allow student to do their placement there to gain experience in the industry and to teach us how to communicate with strangers.
Pros
Something to assist with communication with others
Cons
it is where my mum works
Good
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Mount Hutton NSW6 September 2016
It is good. I have been working there for 3 years. I work day shifts because it suits my lifestyle especially now my children all go to school.
Very bad management
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Springwood NSW26 July 2016
The maingement only like those people who butter them ...
And this company is all about money always short staff...
Managers only like the persons who are in management....they are bad in problem resolving
They never appriciate for ur contibution
They only appreciate the people who are in administration. ..thats why all reviews from administration position are nice....
They dont care for their employees....
Worst place to fill short staff shifts....
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
not good
AIN (Current Employee) –  Western sydney21 July 2016
where i work some carers shouldnt be working in this industry, i think management are to busy trying to make a profit and not care about the residents care. they have cut a lot of stuff for us to use when attending to the residents. i wouldnt recomend working for opal, it's frustrating and sad. we are always short staffed and dont get replaced. It is a nursing home shouldnt be worried about making a profit and cutting care to these residents.
Pros
some staff great to work with
Cons
need to care more
working in aged care
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverloch VIC30 June 2016
I enjoy working at Opal specialist aged care, their has been a lot of changes in the years i have been employed their, All for the good.
Everyday their is always something new and I learn and pick up things very easily and quickly.
We have had a lot of change over of management, this is due to being a very large business and so much responsibility. But every manager we have are very lovely and do their job well.
I love working as part of a team environment, i build such a strong rapport with my residents, family members of those residents and as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is losing people so close to me.
My job is very physical but it so rewarding, I really enjoy being part of Opal.
Worst place I have ever worked
Lifestyle Support Worker (Former Employee) –  NSW central west7 June 2016
I would not recommend this facility...worst place I have ever worked! No support from management, made all the promises in the world, but never deliver! Uncaring staff that should never be in the aged care industry
Pros
Lovely residents and families I met throughout my employment
Cons
Bad management and uncaring staff
Company good to work for
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Caloundra QLD1 June 2016
I have worked all shifts so each shift is different i am mainly rostered on for night shift, i have to help get residents into bed and changed and do their rotations through out the night we have very minimal staff on of a night time so i are always very busy attending to residents who need my assistance.
great place with excellent team work and wonderful management
nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD26 May 2016
everyday was great to work as a PCA as we worked well together and there was always great team work, management was always approachable
Pros
close to home
Cons
could never be late for work...
Way too much work load, zero support from management
Ain (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD20 May 2016
Zero support from management, staff who been with opal from years thinks they owe the place and treat new staff really bad. Too much chit- chat around the place. Not a very good money for the work staff does. No appreciation opal is all about money .
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company
Enjoy working with the elderly
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Ashmore QLD15 May 2016
I have the pleasure of going to work and caring for my residents. I have the upmost respect for the elderly. I am very involved with their lives and families and love doing my job.
Pros
Enjoy the company of my residents and helping them
Cons
hours change from week to week
my opinion about my work place.
General Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC10 May 2016
My co- workers they are very friendly and helping me a lot when i have just start my job. I learned how's to manage time, team work.i am enjoying it.
Amount of work not commensurate to the benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quakers Hill NSW1 May 2016
Very busy. In addition to medication administration for 30+ residents, RNs are responsible for doing dressings that are due, case conferences, follow up of issues, etc.
Management was supportive.
Co-workers do not their part most of the time so other shifts have to cop with what's left.
Most enjoyable part was interacting with the residents.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Discrepancy with pay from time to time, delayed pay - only happened once but pay was delayed for 1 month, heavy workload, no salary packaging
Homely place to work
Personal carer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 April 2016
Nice place to work,love meeting and caring for the elderly,having a close friendship,hardest part about the job is loosing my clients,passing away..
Pros
positive out come, helping people
Excellent place to work
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Stanmore NSW8 March 2016
Check client needs with Registered Nurse or other senior person to ensure coverage of care tasks.
Priorities are identified and followed through and outcomes are reported.
Provide physical care to clients, according to routines and assessed needs (eg toileting, showering, dressing).
Provide care to individual residents according to care plan.
Follow facility routines and required practices at all times.
Facilitate and ensure client access to personal care activities provided by others.
Ensure client information remains confidential and secure at all times.
Monitor client condition and report uncharacteristic conditions or observations:
Report uncharacteristic conditions or behaviours to the Registered Nurse or other appropriate senior person.
Share observations with relevant others.
Support and assist clients (e.g. walking, transfers, wheel chair, personal needs and requests):
Ensure client is assisted according to need.
Comfort of client is assured at all times.
Safe practices are observed at all times to ensure client and staff safety.
Maintain client’s environment (as per duties list):
Not enough hours provided to support every day living. rostering is erratic and inconsistant.
Assistant in Nursing (Current Employee) –  Nambour QLD2 March 2016
Facility unable to provide sufficiant shifts to maintain a regular income. No set shifts provided. Rostering inconsistant and erratic, Unable to organise appointments or family time in advance, because you never know what your next roster will consist of.
Pros
very few
Cons
rostering very erratic.
Opal Raymond Terrace Gardens
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Raymond Terrace NSW23 February 2016
You hit the ground running from start to finish of the shift, it is imperative that you can work as part of the team so that you can work towards common goals.
good job
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Quakers Hill NSW19 February 2016
great people

good management and good place to work at

should never left

learnt a lot

lve the patients

new management now since the fire

brand new place
Excellent Management and Facility
Cleaner/ Food Services (Former Employee) –  Tweed Heads, NSW1 February 2016
When cleaning (which I was rostered to do 4 days a week with a six hour shift). Commence work at 7am proceed to clean toilets in staff rooms and Visitors area then go up to the level I was allocated which catered for 30 residents. Clean their rooms which all had an ensuite attached, then vaccum and mop the corridors dining room, lounge area, nurses station,and all other areas required. Clean all glass windows, polish sideboards and all furniture. When doing Food Services (which I was rostered to do 2 days a week with a 4 hour shift) I would commence work at 3pm prepare and serve afternoon tea, clean up proceed to the main kitchen collect the meals for dinner, transfer into the bain marie record and document temperatures to ensure compliance check the matrix for any dietary changes. Serve the meals. clean the kitchen area all utensils crockery & cutlery mop floors clean down benches and counter tops change linen in the dining rooom set tables for breakfast service.
I didn't find my job hard I did however enjoy the interaction with the residents and staff.
Pros
Goood working environment
Cons
Opal are a very formidable company who are one of the market leaders
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Murwillumbah, NSW20 January 2016
Opal have a very good quality program with support from state and national managers. There aim is to provide quality care with respect and dignity.
I was working minimum of 50 hours a week, oncall 24/7 and my family and I found it was too demanding for me.
I enjoyed my time at Murwillumbah, and learned a lot.
Pros
great staff and great residents
Cons
hours too long
Professional attitudes, lovely office
Temp Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW12 January 2016
This was a fantastic office to work in, very modern and comfortable with friendly and polite staff.

I would monitor and respond to emails on the company inbox, search for new applicants for positions using their on-line recruitment software, liaise with candidates and managers, answer all incoming calls on the admissions enquiry line, assist with administration and assist the marketing department with any Ad Hoc tasks.

The highlight of this role for me was the team, I felt fully supported at all times.