OPSM Employee Reviews

Training
Optical Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Launceston TAS27 January 2018
A huge amount of training offered to get certificates in place for u too do your job too the best ability, there was a change of area managers that made my decision to leave.
Pros
Training
nice workplace
Sales Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kings Meadows TAS4 January 2018
I love fiting glasses for people, I love fixing glasses, putting a screw in or soldering an arm back on.
although you need to complete the optical dispenser course which is really hard from what I remember.
most of the optometrists are full time at the company but sometimes some stores only get locums which makes it quite boring if you don't have an optometrist for 5 weeks.
it is easy to learn and getting to know the regular customers are good.
being a supervisor or manager is hard work and you have to do conference calls each weeks with the other local stores and head office.
i have always loved working in optometry, although its not for everyone. although i wouldn't go back to OPSM.
Pros
meet lots of people
Cons
doing displays
A great company in the medical/ retail industry
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stafford City20 November 2017
OPSM is part of a large group of companies, so you get lost in the big picture. Its difficult when trying to access the corporate side of the business.

At a store level, great place to work. Good brands with a diverse product offering. Great learning experience working with optometrists and performing (eye scans) UWDRS on patients.
Fun workplace with great values.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD20 September 2017
A typical day involves customer interaction, staff training, banking, profit reports, stock ordering, campaign execution, repairing specs, and office tasks.
What I have learned in my time at OPSM is leadership skills, different management styles, customer service, mathematics equations, technical skills involving polishing, hand edging, soldering and all areas of optical skills.
My co-workers were a mix of ages, ethnicity and skill sets. They ranged from a more experienced sales person looking to retire soon, to a new starter in the optical sector. My colleges across the other shops in the region which I have daily interaction in are all a different mix again.
Hardest part of my job is waiting. A lot of the jobs are manufactured off site where I have little influence or control. . The customer is trusting me to take responsibility for the speedy delivery of their order.

I enjoyed the team worked with at OPSM!
Pros
The staff and management was amazing, very supportive!
Cons
Can become stressful.
Ok
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC13 February 2017
Don't expect much, training is lacking and no real recognition of staff who go above and beyond expectations. But a safe job if you like dealing with puclic
great team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Frenchs Forest NSW6 February 2017
I loved working with OPSM , it felt very much like a family practice
We had a great team , and at no point did I not want to go to work in the morning.
Good
Optical Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD28 December 2016
Great place to learn and grow. Lots to take in lots of new things to learn everyday. Never have the same patient issues or queries everyday. Put in what you want out of
Excellent Place to Work
Full time Optical Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Forest Hill VIC1 December 2016
Working at OPSM is not for the faint-hearted, however despite its challenges it is rewarding.
A typical day consists of a mixture of sales/admin and medical knowledge, as you must be aware of certain eye conditions.
Management is very enjoyable, particularly at Forest Hill, where the Manager always is on the lookout for her staff.
The hardest part is remaking spectacles, especially if the customer is a bit peculiar.
The most enjoyable part is the work culture.
Depending on your upline Manager the experience is very rewarding.
Optical Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA18 July 2016
The last 15 years were spent as Store Manager. Now I have stepped down from that role and pressure and would now like to go back to the dispensing/retail area which is what I am most passionate about. I enjoy following the journey of the customer from their appointment right through to them leaving the store with their new purchase of spectacles
Pros
Meet lots of interesting peope
Cons
lack of flexability for time off
Informative and challenging workplace
Trainee Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Fremantle16 April 2016
There are many intricate details in the optics business, from learning how to interpret spectacle prescriptions, to assisting customers find the perfect frame for them

Want to know more about OPSM?

Ask a question
The Job itself is rewarding and interesting
Optical Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Australia1 December 2015
Optical dispensing has been a very challenging but rewarding job. Being able to obtain the knowledge needed to work with optometrists and give people a better quality of life through their eyes is the highlight of working for OPSM. I wouldn't consider the part-time award rates to be anything special, though the casual rates are quite competitive (about $6 or so difference between the two at least). I do find OPSM very KPI and sales driven, which to me takes away from the idea of providing the customer exactly what they need under their budget. I am not a believer of $$$ as the focal goal and shudder when a manager says to "show them the money". The technologies used are phenomenal and beneficial. The management at OPSM has been very hit and miss and I don't feel like the staff get a lot of say or leverage in much at all. If you have a manager that nurtures their team and works alongside you as an equal, the job can be one of the best around. If your manager isn't very present in the day-to-day work and prefers to be 'the boss', the team culture is very lacking and the positivity will wain. I have had managers on both ends of the spectrum and can say that when there is a good manager, this job has been by far my favourite. When I have a not so good manager, I am on Indeed everyday.
Pros
Optical staff benefits, team environment, ability to learn new skills
Cons
Management, not great pay, can become stressful
OPSM Kingaroy
Optical Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Kingaroy14 September 2015
i love working for this company, for its rewards and incentives. Its a shame there isn't an OPSM closer to where i live now. The hardest part of the job is helping customers understand about the health of there vision, and also helping the accept if there is a major issue with the health of there eyes. example glaucoma, cataracts or even cancerous tumor.
Benificial
Optical Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba, QLD8 April 2015
A typical day of work at OPSM Clifford Gardens Consisted of arriving at the shopping centre at approximately 6:00 am, opening and setting up the store, serving customers, handling cash, answering telephones with the correct manner, booking appointments for customers and maintaining the state of the store. I learnt a great deal about working in retail and how to book appointments. It gave me a great understanding of the expectations within the work force. My co-workers were very helpful with showing me how to do everything required and assisting me. the same applied with the manager. The hardest part of the job would have been when it was not very busy and there wasn't a great deal of things to do. The most enjoyable part of working there would be serving customers as I find myself to be a people person and I enjoy interacting with people.
A great place to work than is very rewarding if you are prepared to put in some hard work.
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Brookside, S27 October 2013
A typical day involves customer interaction, staff training, banking, profit reports, stock ordering, campaign execution, repairing specs, misc office tasks.
My co-workers are a mix of ages, ethnicity and skill sets. They range from a more experienced sales person looking to retire soon, to a new starter in the business who I trained from scratch. My colleges across the other shops in the region which I have daily interaction in are all a different mix again.
Hardest part of my job is waiting. A lot of the jobs are manufactured off site where I have little influence or control. I will try and manage this as best as possible by doing as much for the customer in my own shop to influence the process. The customer is trusting me to take responsibility for the speedy delivery of their order.

I enjoy the team work and success. I love seeing my team succeed in anything they choose and always try my hardest to propel them forward to reach their goals
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Staff shortages