OPSM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

OPSM Employee Reviews

Productive workplace fun environment. A typical day at work would be serving customer and providing help. fixing frames and adjusting frames prior and after sales. organising stock including contact lenses, frames, lenses and other items. Working as an optical dispenser is fun as you always get to learn new things from the optometrist, they have qualified optoms that can provide you with new material to learn which is always interesting. The most enjoyable part of working as an optical dispenser is to learn and after apply your learning and educate customer about their eyes vision, and also how to take care of their own eye health. the outcomes from working as an optical dispenser is what you will really enjoy.
Pros
You get to learn from optometrist.
Cons
Breaks are not paid and not long enough.
OPSM is owned by Luxottica and I can tell you they don't give hoot about you. Expect to get your pay cut and JobKeeper illegally deducted (yes, they will tax you twice as much so they can keep the money to themself! you need up receiving $1144 while the rest of the world receiving $1308). HR& head office wont even be bothered to reply your email once and Payroll is based overseas and refuse to do anything despite the fact they are well aware of the situation. Thousands of OPSM workers been affected, people's live are depending on those yet no one at the company gives a F. Avoid OPSM, Avoid Luxottica AT ALL COST.
Pros
work environment
Cons
Luxottica ripping you off
Bullying culture,if you go out for drinks you get ahead otherwise you get transferred. I was advised to take them to court . Very unhappy toxic non professional managers who bully optometrists to do it all ,senior dispensers who gossip all day and report back to the bully manager
Typical day was very busy. merchandising and assisting with every customer that came through the door. Environment was made fun by great relationship with management and fellow colleagues.
Working at OPSM was pleasant, it was a shared zone with helpful people, I have enjoyed every moment of the time I have worked at OPSM. I will go back again if I get a chance to work at OPSM
I loved working for OPSM. Lovely people, and great job. Good opportunities within the company . Love the people and interactions each day. The job involves more technical training too which is great
Very poor management. No concern for students working with us to get through Uni. As Manager I was asked to work every Sunday to save on loading for Part Time workers, A Uni student was removed. Targets were unachievable
Always something new to learn with new products getting released. Room to grow and advance within the company. Great bonuses are rewarded. Great products to work with.
Pros
Reimbersment on purchased goods
Cons
Short breaks
Luxottica is the worst company I have ever been in business with, from the executive team in head office, who are transient, apathetic corporate climbers with no knowledge of the industry, right down to the pathetic puppet retail staff and sell out managers who have been morally and ethically brainwashed to "milking" customers for every last penny with the guise of "better health care" and "professional obligation".
Pros
nil
Cons
Conflicting nature of healthcare and retail. Overweight financial motives of corporate executives
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at OPSM?
I was dropped in the deep end when I started at the store. I learnt a lot and really loved the job I just felt that the way they handled some of the situations wasn't the best.
Cons
not a lot of training
A huge amount of training offered to get certificates in place for u too do your job too the best ability, there was a change of area managers that made my decision to leave.
Pros
Training
I love fiting glasses for people, I love fixing glasses, putting a screw in or soldering an arm back on. although you need to complete the optical dispenser course which is really hard from what I remember. most of the optometrists are full time at the company but sometimes some stores only get locums which makes it quite boring if you don't have an optometrist for 5 weeks. it is easy to learn and getting to know the regular customers are good. being a supervisor or manager is hard work and you have to do conference calls each weeks with the other local stores and head office. i have always loved working in optometry, although its not for everyone. although i wouldn't go back to OPSM.
Pros
meet lots of people
Cons
doing displays
OPSM is part of a large group of companies, so you get lost in the big picture. Its difficult when trying to access the corporate side of the business. At a store level, great place to work. Good brands with a diverse product offering. Great learning experience working with optometrists and performing (eye scans) UWDRS on patients.
A typical day involves customer interaction, staff training, banking, profit reports, stock ordering, campaign execution, repairing specs, and office tasks. What I have learned in my time at OPSM is leadership skills, different management styles, customer service, mathematics equations, technical skills involving polishing, hand edging, soldering and all areas of optical skills. My co-workers were a mix of ages, ethnicity and skill sets. They ranged from a more experienced sales person looking to retire soon, to a new starter in the optical sector. My colleges across the other shops in the region which I have daily interaction in are all a different mix again. Hardest part of my job is waiting. A lot of the jobs are manufactured off site where I have little influence or control. . The customer is trusting me to take responsibility for the speedy delivery of their order. I enjoyed the team worked with at OPSM!
Pros
The staff and management was amazing, very supportive!
Cons
Can become stressful.
Don't expect much, training is lacking and no real recognition of staff who go above and beyond expectations. But a safe job if you like dealing with puclic
I loved working with OPSM , it felt very much like a family practice We had a great team , and at no point did I not want to go to work in the morning.
Great place to learn and grow. Lots to take in lots of new things to learn everyday. Never have the same patient issues or queries everyday. Put in what you want out of
Working at OPSM is not for the faint-hearted, however despite its challenges it is rewarding. A typical day consists of a mixture of sales/admin and medical knowledge, as you must be aware of certain eye conditions. Management is very enjoyable, particularly at Forest Hill, where the Manager always is on the lookout for her staff. The hardest part is remaking spectacles, especially if the customer is a bit peculiar. The most enjoyable part is the work culture.
The last 15 years were spent as Store Manager. Now I have stepped down from that role and pressure and would now like to go back to the dispensing/retail area which is what I am most passionate about. I enjoy following the journey of the customer from their appointment right through to them leaving the store with their new purchase of spectacles
Pros
Meet lots of interesting peope
Cons
lack of flexability for time off
There are many intricate details in the optics business, from learning how to interpret spectacle prescriptions, to assisting customers find the perfect frame for them
Optical dispensing has been a very challenging but rewarding job. Being able to obtain the knowledge needed to work with optometrists and give people a better quality of life through their eyes is the highlight of working for OPSM. I wouldn't consider the part-time award rates to be anything special, though the casual rates are quite competitive (about $6 or so difference between the two at least). I do find OPSM very KPI and sales driven, which to me takes away from the idea of providing the customer exactly what they need under their budget. I am not a believer of $$$ as the focal goal and shudder when a manager says to "show them the money". The technologies used are phenomenal and beneficial. The management at OPSM has been very hit and miss and I don't feel like the staff get a lot of say or leverage in much at all. If you have a manager that nurtures their team and works alongside you as an equal, the job can be one of the best around. If your manager isn't very present in the day-to-day work and prefers to be 'the boss', the team culture is very lacking and the positivity will wain. I have had managers on both ends of the spectrum and can say that when there is a good manager, this job has been by far my favourite. When I have a not so good manager, I am on Indeed everyday.
Pros
Optical staff benefits, team environment, ability to learn new skills
Cons
Management, not great pay, can become stressful