Optus
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Optus Employee Reviews

Intense with kpi's but not a bad place to work, pretty good culture, excellent managers. Great for improving phone skills, as well as problem solving skills.
I love working here!!! I have an amazing team & manager. The hiring process was so efficient! The training process although long & at times overwhelming, is thorough and the team is super supportive. I feel motivated to do better every day and appreciate the goal oriented & competitive sales approach as it pushes me to be my best. Optus cares about its employees and takes a detailed and dedicated approach. It also encourages and recognises talent & hard work and has an amazing structure to promotion within the company.
Pros
Employee discounts and credit, training, work culture
I loved every aspect of working at Optus. Although my work could have been more challenging considering my experience. But over all, it was a good learning experience ..
Pros
Events
Cons
Always offers a contractual job
Great team and supportive management- Interesting work and learning options. Work expectations are high but you know exactly what is expected of you. Have had 2 contract roles here and would go back anytime
Pros
Good management and culture
Cons
None really
The hardest part of the job is the work atmosphere- management are not very good and are always worried about sales figures; that the actual work atmosphere is really bad.Worst job I ever had!
Pros
some discount on products
Cons
bad management
Have found it hard to progress with internal opportunities for promotion being very competitive. Optus has aggressive sales targets with big expectation on closing deals. The people you work with are great
Pros
Discounts on Mobile and Home Internet Plans
Cons
High Targets
*Be prepared for anxiety: The job description is normal for a store manager position but they add so much extra stress that would give anyone anxiety issues *Very rough treatment: There is no respect shown whatsoever to the store managers by their area managers or the operations manager who is apparently having her nose in everybody's job including area managers. *incentives & bonuses: Nil. They talk too much about the bonus system called "Beyond Yes' but withhold all and any claimed incentives cards that your store team would have earned. Upon inquiry, they will simply tell you they know nothing about that. It was a nightmare trying to get those incentives. Took 1 long year. That too only happened after the store approached Optus directly. *work-life balance: Be prepared to bring your work stress to home and work and attend unpaid meetings/ attend unpaid workshops on your days off and after work. *Management: Terrible. There have been 6 area managers in 1 year. No area manager stays longer than a month in the company. *The only good thing about this job was the store team- that you will have anywhere else as well.
Pros
You have a job. Customers will reward you with their positive feedback.
Cons
Politics, unnecessary stress, no rewards, unpaid extra work and unpaid compulsory meetings etc.
Optus has destroyed my life on many levels they are incredibly evil.They were unfairly underpaying me the whole time I was working in Brisbane.For several years I was promised promotion which never came They constantly squeezed more and more responsibilities higher and higher work loads from me. I was a “go to person for people having technical problems needing assistance. I was constantly training peers and seniors in my team and across the company.
Pros
Unsatisfactory pay
Cons
Contemptuous treatment of employees
Amazing discounts and product acquisition opportunities. A typical day at work is longer than the standard 8hrs, can be extremely fast passed or go to real slow within a matter of minutes. Issues with systems lag in store makes the experience longer and more difficult to give a great customer experience. Targets are often unachievable, but when achieved, good commissions are paid. There is often an 'us vs them' mentality that can create a bad work culture. Often in trying to create a good culture, it becomes more toxic. There is lots of pressure on managers to succeed, but minimal support. Overall: Great benefits but terrible culture creates a potential toxic enviornment
Pros
Free Products
Cons
No work life balance
Had zero training, manager left after my first shift, worked between stores where I went 2 months without meeting the new and current managers. Wasn't given personal login details until after the first month, wasn't even able to sign in and out each day for the length of employment. Thrown straight into the deep end without supervision in a busy store, expected to know the 30odd aspects of the role immediately. only positive was the staff members of Westfield Geelong store who were very supportive.
Pros
Staff discount, penalty rates
Cons
Terrible training process
In the start I thought there might be a slight discrimination but moving forward it was all good and work was smooth and ease, timings were manageable and boss is not so bossy
great b2b and b2c exposure , the team and management is great with great resources and support and training for the employees . Great career growth options
Optus is a great place to work, fantastic Staff benefits also included. Great chance to grow some skills in the work place, and establish a Career. Yes.
Standard Australian working environment. Following standards of Australian work place . good training and support from colleagues and management. International working environment.
Moderate Work Environment. Limited Learning Opportunities. No Opportunities for Automation. Test team have very less access to the Business Stakeholders
I found the people in the marketing department at Optus fun and easy going. I enjoyed the amazing people there and the coffees around the campus. There seems to be flexible working arrangements as well.
Management and systems in place do not allow a fast transition from the original stage of order generation for a customer through design stage , build stage and final delivery due to lack of ownership by key order managers. This issue has gotten worse over the years due to outsourcing these task to companies that are complete incapable of understanding the business hence customer delivery times have blown out from 10 days to over 83 days.
Depending in which department you are working in - it can be a very high pressure environment heavily focused on results. You can go from having a good day to a bad day in a blink of an eye.
Optus's rem range is better than other places and their bonus is quite good too. There is quite a vast range of career opportunities. I would highly recommend this company.
I am a highly qualified network expert with experience across different technologies in different countries. Productive and technically driven. Love to learn new technologies and explore new domain. Looking forward to being in a multi-cultured environment.
Great culture, environment of learning - Gaining skills of an office job in a retail setting - Requires collaboration and team work to achieve store KPIs and bonuses so I would say working in a team is crucial to your own success as well as the the store you work in.
  1. Employee Reviews