Optus

Optus Employee Reviews

Australia302 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

fun workmates, unfun customers

good workmates, heavily monitored by managersmade to feel inadequate if you had a bad daycustomers abused daily but thats what we there forlearned a lot about customer service

Pros

colleagues

Cons

shiftwork

Lack of training and communication

Promised extensive training at the interview but when I started I was just sat at a table and did countless of modules online and thrown in the deep end on my second week of work. Took two months to receive my uniform and always had login problems. The other workers weren’t aware of my role and lack of assistance or capabilities even though I was told by name who’d assist and guide me. They weren’t told or aware of it. Lack of communication between managers and workers to assist me led in multiple problems. Was always promised they’d get me the help and training to progress but never received it.

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Can’t access work account from home so training was even more pressuring and harder at work, Expected to read a module once then immediately know protocols and how to do it.

Optus insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Overall satisfaction

No movement, management poor

Only movement in position is if you were able to suck up hard core and be in the special group. If you were not in this set group of people, you didn't go anywhere or progress in your career. You could be the best person in the position, kinking it r.e kpis and customer feedback but again if you weren't an appropriate suck up, you weren't going anywhere. Little coaching, or career development.

Pros

In the middle of city, close to transport

Cons

Management, hours, no career development.

Fun place to work for your early 20’s

You need to love or at least like sales to able to survive at Optus. Overall a fun experience. The pay could’ve been better.

Pros

30% staff discount

Cons

Stressful, Management pushes you for sale targets DAILY

It was good while it lasted... too much restructuring and outsourcing since 2015

I loved working there when I stared, teamwork was awesome, everyone knew their place and responsibilities, and then everything started going downhil since the first restructure in 2015 or so, and 4-5 years later, I was no longer happy to work there. Ended my amployment there after receiving redundancy in 2020.

Very healthy and friendly atmosphere.

- Work place is great with a very nice campus with all facilities;- Very good training and collaboration programs;- Skill utilisation can be improved.

Good sales job

It is a good job if you’re wanting to jump into a customer service and sales career dealing with customers enquires concerning Optus related products and services.

It's fun if you're good at it

If you're a positive and out going person, you'll fit right in and be able to smash sales. Confidence is the key. Typical day now is coming to work early, and managing customers, and finding solutions. I've developed throughout and have become a more confident person. Difficult to handle some aggressive customers. Great team to work with.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Don't get paid for over time, So i just leave

Fun workplace if you’re younger

I loved my time at optus when I was there, however salary wise, it isn’t really enough to live off until you’re in management. Advancement can be difficult unless you’re willing to travel to head office in Macquarie Park.

Optus is a very much loved Brand and I have great respects for the brand

My experience in Optus was one of a kind, the brand speaks for itself but the management was a bit in the grey area but that is life. I will still work for Optus hands down made so many good mates there and I learned a lot about customer service which contributed to my work now. Thank you, Optus you have trained me well for the world out there. By the way, I was made redundant before I applied for this job and before that, I was working for Optus for 14 years before this interview 'Yes' for Optus

Pros

Sometimes

Cons

Long hours at times and not paid for it

Optus provides a lot of opportunity to grow and progress

Good leaders are spread throughout the business at all levels. If you are willing to learn and seek the opportunity to learn, people will go out of their way for your development. I have listed the job as stressful and that isn’t negative if that pressure is managed correctly. There is high expectations to meet KPIs and targets. That being said, support and development is provided every step of the way. You work with your team, peers and leader to achieve common goals. If collaboration and applying yourself 100% isn’t your thing, then this job isn’t for you.People with drive and development plans in place, will achieve and it is rewarding on the salary front especially for commissions.

Yeah it was good

Good place to work nice office but lots of Kpis but if you are good at sales you can make a good amount, nice commission structure when I was there….

Good workplace, room for progression. Beware of management in some stores.

A good place to work with room to progress if you want it. Job quality largely depends on if your store manager is good. If you have a good store manager, you will have a great time. If you have a micro-manager (which is a decent portion of the stores), you will struggle to hit commission and it won't be so great.Pay is quite good overall, and like I said above, if your store performs well, there are good chunks of commission that are paid monthly.Very KPI driven, can be really stressful at times. You will learn a lot, your sales technique will improve. You will get a lot of downtime during weekdays where usually you won't have too much to do but to socialise with your team, which is great. Weekends get hectic.Customers are the worst in all of retail though, so be ready.

Appearance over Results

Management is obsessed with Office attendance above productivity , well fair and employee retention. Management and HR do not live by the behaviors and culture they advertise. It is very much a cult like obsession to being visible , which does not make sense as Optus is a telco, and should be living and breathing the products we sell. If catching up with work colleges , a minimum of three days a week , slow paced and rarely hitting lofty target, sounds positive? then this is the place for you.If you care about achieving goals, career progression, work/life balance, good leadership, reward and recognition , for your own sake , save your time and look elsewhere.

Pros

Casual

Cons

No Career progression, very poor management and culture

Wonderful place to work

Great culture. Great people. Great training and support. Great opportunities to move sideways and upwards. Flexible hours. Excellent staff discounts and annual bonuses.

Great work environment

Optus was a brilliant place to work, they had excellent pay and a brilliant bonus structure, there were many prizes to be won also, things like Mobile phones, Quality Watches and much more, you were treated as a person not a number, and your team really were your family. I had some personal problems and was able too have time off with pay that didn't eat my holidays at all. I would highly recommend Optus as a work place.

Excellent I really enjoyed trAining and the team environment great store and manage her would definately work there again good pay and benefits made you feeek

System is hard to get the hang of - pay is good

Management won't treat you well if you're not hitting your targets. System is very confusing to learn and there's quite a strict outline on the conversations you need to have with customers and if you don't ask them all 283752 questions you'll get in trouble. I did end up leaving pretty early on because the stress-load for a casual job I wasn't looking for a career in wasn't really worth it.

People and Culture are good but lack of security and process failure make it hard to work efficiently.

No Job security. People often leave an nobody to take over their work. Has been on the decline for a while - a lot of internal systems and process dont work efficiently and it seems too hard to fix.

No Faults here

Super wonderful company to work for. Great team building alongside sales. Every day is new and exciting. Management is supportive and helpful. Opportunities always around to move up if you put in the hard work!

What could possibly go wrong?

Great company to work for in the beginning but as time went by too much bullying, politics, poor management no strategy too many redundancies. poorly trained managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optus. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Optus with