Optus logo
Optus
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Optus Culture reviews

Clear
Work–Life Balance

Very professional

Intense with kpi's but not a bad place to work, pretty good culture, excellent managers. Great for improving phone skills, as well as problem solving skills.

always at the edge with constant restructuring

Constant restructuring doesn't help in providing job security, loyalty and aiming for long term roles. Management is generallly secretive on announcing job cuts and thus there's a lack of trust built in the culture.

If you want a fun, empowering work environment with great work life balance this is the place to be

Optus is has a great work culture. Poor top management though had made the place toxic for some people but most managers are great and supportive and encouraging

Great Job and Great Company

Optus is an awesome place to work for, the teams you come into are nice and helpful. managers are very supportive and will always have your back, pay is great especially when the stores hit their targets. you can earn so much extra $$$$ when hitting KPIs which isnt hard at all! highly recommend it to everyone

Great Benefits and Culture, Opportunity for Advancement, rate of pay not competitive

I enjoyed my time with Optus and was able to gain a great deal of experience and build on my skills. I was fortunate to work with some fantastic people and my managers were wonderful and very mindful of work/life balance. As such, I was more than happy to put in the extra hours required to get the job done as there was a strong culture of 'give and take'. Whilst there were many great staff benefits and a beautiful campus, unfortunately, the salary offered was not competitive. There was also the ongoing and very real threat of possible retrenchment - which became a reality for me in June 2018 (along with over 400 other employees at that time).

Pros

Great Staff benefits, Excellent Campus facilities

Cons

Threat of retrenchment, salary not competitive

Overall fun place to work

No day was ever the same but if you have the right team then you can achieve anything. My role required that I multi task and wear many hats, the hardest part of the role is not enough hours in a day; the most enjoyable was the team I worked alongside.

Best job I have ever had

OPTUS takes great care of its staff. Great perks, great team, great management . There is a lot of opportunity for advancement within this company.

Great work environment

Optus in Sydney is one of the best workplace campuses to work in with restaurants, gym, doctor's surgery and many other employee amenities. There is a strong work culture with opportunities to learn new skills and obtain management training. The company has a challenger mentality and is constantly looking to improve bot results and processes. It is a competitive work environment but ultimately a positive place to work.

Pros

Great onsite amenities

Cons

Long Hours

Good Company

Good Company , nice benefits. Nice Off CBD location Flexible working environment. Nice transport facilities for commute from various parts of Sydney CBD

Day to day work is enjoyable

Day to day work is enjoyable however the company sometimes forgets about the people within the business and also about the goals they are trying to achieve - profit over customer service.

Pros

Employee Discounts

Jobs at Optus

See more jobs

great telco to work for

they have a great team and good culture. They have on site gym and other entertainment dos on the campus all year around sych as music, gaming, yoga, fitness etc whatever you are into. very diverse culture and people there are genuinely nice

Pros

great campus and working culture

Cons

hard to commute

Sad that they offshored employees

This was a great technical support role, and now all off shored. It was a great job while it lasted. So sad. If this job came back onshore I would do it again.

Pros

Helping people was easy and being appreciated

Cons

Terrible management

Challenger Brand

Optus is well-known for its challenger spirit and innovation. Their Macquarie Park campus beings unity and synergy across different functions. People are generally very friendly at Optus, and we worked as a team!

Good Opportunities

Good opportunities available for personal development. But will not give opportunities for promotions. Company culture is changing and becoming harder to work.

Pros

Good opportunities for personal development

Cons

Poor management

A terrific Australian telco to work for

A terrific Australian telco to work for. Great brand, great product range for Small and Medium Business. Culture was always great Plenty of time invested on developing employees.

Don't even try

Typical day serving old people that need help using their phone. Learn't a lot about selling different categories. Management is useless, no one in the company has a plan b when systems and promotions get stuffed up. Basically told we have to fight for sales to get the hours we wan't. Everyone hates each other, workplace culture is bad and I would not recommend working for Optus. The enjoyable part was finding solutions for customers and making sure they left the store happy.

Pros

Cons

No work balance, Fighting for hours & stuff up systems

I have been with Optus for over 13 years and have enjoyed working here. The people and culture is great. I have had many memorable moments and have achieved my fullest potential. Management are fair and allow you to freely develop your maximum. The hardest part of the job is the current retrenching of staff. Many of my friends and colleagues have left. The most enjoyable part is being no.1 and the positive challenges we faced.

Pros

Recognition

Cons

Low moral at the moment

Highly agile, innovative company

Progressive than other telco brands; competitive company with an start up mentality. Culture used to be great however the pressure of cost cutting year on year and questionable leadership that highly influence culture can impact it. Also highly political.

Pros

Culture, competitive spirit, great brand, dynamic, great campus, makes an effort to engage employees.

Cons

Politics; lack of consistency of processes, some lazy people, building capability in marketing, some leaders

The office was always a fun place to be part of.

My typical role was collecting statistical information in regard to telephone exchanges under my control and then analyzing the results for fault restoration purposes. I then issued work to my staff to transact. Telstra culture was an enjoyable experience with management working and socializing well together.

Pros

Remuneration and promotion were always good

Optus on a slippery slope to outsource oblivion

I did enjoy the working with the people at Optus, always helpful and friendly. Good campus facilities, starting to show it's age now though. The promoted outward facing culture is for "well being" and "moving forward", the actual culture from management is maximise ARPU and outsource jobs, or in other words, profits. Redundancies happen every 6 months without fail. No career progression really, more than once the manager's mate get the position over better qualified people. Executives are Singapore placements, seems they're well in over their heads, floundering. Outages and churn higher than expected. The competition have it all over them. . When the execs get up and talk about their grandiose plans, spending billions on this and billions on that we all nod our heads in in front of them, but shake our heads behind them. The profits are a result of reduced head count, not increased business. The culture is outsource-centric, absolutely no consideration to saving Australian jobs and all about shifting millions to SingTel so they can fund their Asian market development. For these reasons I'd be glad to see Optus fold. I expect Singtel will sell the Optus cash cow once 5G is embedded and the profits and operations stripped clean, say in 4 years. Almost all intellectual property is outsourced and outages abound...I would walk around and see entire floors of food starved 457 contractors (the ones replacing Aussie jobs) and see them swaying in their chairs by mid afternoon, that's when the major outages occurred. Would I work there again? not -

Pros

friendly staff, good facilities, telecommute

Cons

incompetent execs, redundancies abound

Work Life Balance

OW culture is good as people are hard working and they respect each other. Optus provided the required flexibility for working hrs and Working from home facility.

Pros

Freedom, Work life balance, Good team

Cons

Lack of guidance/ support
  • Optus