Origin Energy Employee Reviews

smaller regional office of larger eastern states corporation
Data Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Perth WA19 March 2018
This company was one of the most challenging roles I'd ever had. All development was self development. No training on anything. I worked hard to teach myself to load seismic tape data. It was a valuable skill, however it took an extremely long time and when I was hired they knew it was not a skill I possessed, yet I was pressured to perform it in a short space of time, without training. However there were many great opportunities to learn new software and create my own systems and methods for working. I also got to help with the implementation of the very best data/information/document storage system I've seen in any corporation, before or since.
I eventually left, when corporate sloppiness (deliberate???) by HR led to me being hired (from a contract role, so still adding value and working for them really) one month after cut-off for annual bonuses. So at the end of 2 years working for them, I wasn't allowed a bonus, despite having added value for the entire previous 12 months... not even a pro-rata'd one. I spoke to HR in Brisbane, as well as my own office management and told them of my dissatisfaction. They lacked sympathy or the ability to think outside the box on corporate policy. So after giving thanks for their school of hard knocks teaching technique, I took another job.
Pros
great opportunity to learn self reliance, good small office morale
Cons
lack of support/training, poor treatment of staff by HR.
Challenging and enjoyable
Queensland Logistics Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Queensland3 March 2018
Working with vehicles no day is the same and each brings its own challenges.
Learnt further challenges between gas vehicles and fuel and preparing for repairs and servicing.
Work place culture and spotlight on safety was very professional and all personal were given ownership to this and there respective jobs.
Initially constant vehicle break downs call 24/7 but after initiating a R&M procedure this was reduce.
Most enjoyable was when drivers would thank myself and the team for the reliability and presentation of the vehicles.
productive days are challenging but not too stressful
Project Planning and Controls Engineer - LNG (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 February 2018
a typical day for me is either work-shopping with the stakeholders to plan/schedule the upcoming project or reviewing the analysis of the project performance and compiling a recovery plan for the lost progress.
Great job.
Pilot Operations (Current Employee) –  QLD darling downs10 February 2018
I love the job. In pilot operations I use a wide range of skills. The camps are good. There is a good safety culture and a good friendly culture also.
Pros
Good job and a good safety culture
Cons
I am away from home
Great company with many benifits
Bulk LPG Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver NT12 December 2017
Origin was a great company to work for at the time and with the staff being local and all admin being run locally it was a great enviroment to work...
Flexible and encouraging place to work
Project Administrator - APLNG Project (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 December 2017
• Provide secretarial support for the APLNG Project Corporate Office comprising 43 staff including managers in the Technical, Project Finance, Finance, IT, External Affairs and HSE Teams
• Monitor and update monthly / weekly reports as well as collate and distribute reports and minutes for shareholder steering committee, quarterly board and weekly project office meetings
• Assist IT team with development of on-boarding and off-boarding procedures and workflows and improvements in general service desk enquiries
• Ensure all staff have completed the necessary CORE Compliance training and various other business training requirements i.e. Code of Conduct, Trade Practices,
• Arranging various business functions, social functions and conferences for up to 200 guests
• Assist Accounts Payable duties; Process invoices and procurement for the team as required
• Act as coordinator to visiting executives
• Diary management of various members of the APLNG Leadership Team
• Assist management of contracts for Approvals and Governance
Quite good
Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA4 October 2017
Although not for me, Origin is a pleasant place to work. The pay was good for the work and although call centre work can be quite tough, the managers created incentives and made the workplace as good as it could be. The only reasons I didn't enjoy it was because of the sales incentives and the continued surveillance. There has to be a level of trust within an employer-employee agreement and I felt as though this did not occur.
Fun Environment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA10 September 2017
Was a good place to work, everyone is nice and pleasant to get along with, the hardest part was very difficult call types. I would recommend Origin to others
have fun and comfortable
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA1 July 2017
walked down on the road and goes door to each house and try to sales as much as you can. Improve my English skills and more confidence to talk in front of people, having conversation while working with your workmate to build and learn new skills between both of us.
Pros
free training
Cons
8hours per day
Great culture - great people
National Sales Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA21 June 2017
I have loved working for Origin for over 10 Years - the people are the best part. Change is constant - so you need to be able to adapt and be agile!

I would recommend anyone to work for Origin.
Pros
tim tam fridays
good mega project - APLNG
Mechanical Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 June 2017
good culture, good exposure on one of Australia's largest CSG projects in APLNG, good team work, project teams are silo'd, not the best contracting strategy implemented causing projects to cost more and schedule was delayed
Pros
good remuneration
Cons
project team does not have job security
n/a
Marketing officer, sales representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 June 2017
Good place to learn alot about marketing, Australia is best country to live and work . I learnt many good things and made lots of Australian friends while working in this company.
Full of inappropriate behaviour
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2017
This was a great company before APLNG came along. Now all the good senior management (original players) were pushed out to support incoming personnel who are supported due to their connections and being YES people. Such a shame it was a great place in the early days and there is no loyalty. If you are good at playing games, this is the place for you. HR only support management and not employees, the behaviour and cause to employee health was terrible - HR should be ashamed. So much bullying going on it's disgraceful that people are so unprofessional and not held accountable for their actions. Bullies should have no place in any organisation or management team regardless of who they know.
Pros
Pay well
Cons
Full of corporate psychopaths
Toxic company to work for
Recoveries team Leader (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC27 April 2017
This company do not look after their employees, they have no work life balance although they claim to promote this. They do not recognise hard working employees and do not take work place bullying seriously.
There is also no career progression unless you are friends with someone higher up, favoured employees tend to be direct appointed in to roles without any knowledge or experience.
Males are also favoured in career progression.
There is no support, training or coaching for management.
Pros
good salary
Supplied everything need to work and rest.
Well Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane AU24 April 2017
Safe and very good people to work with. Good hours to work never over worked. If any concerns came up they interested in how they can help to make things better.
Pros
Company supplied everything.
Cons
Non to speek of.
Great work lifestyle balance, exceptional work experience.
Senior Contracts Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 April 2017
Totally rewarding, fantastic people to work with. Many aspects of work fronts to develop challenging experiences having to overcome, often not out of the box solutions to ensure closure.
It Was the Best Experience Every
Undergraduate Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Milton QLD7 April 2017
I worked for Origin over the Summer break doing the Summer Student Vacation Program and enjoyed every single bit of it. I was placed in a team that consisted of experienced engineers from different backgrounds and they showed me how to apply my engineering knowledge to the workforce. The atmosphere was so positive and welcoming. Just overall this company has a positive work environment and would love to return one day.
Corporate level positive, department level negative
DRAWING OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia3 April 2017
Workplace culture preached positive things and tried to show it, but was not demonstrated at the department level where I worked. Manager was petty and cheap and only counting days to retirement. The office was beautiful and had lovely amenities but the cost was exorbitant--and bled the bank. When there were project losses and accidents, they cut people and production to protect profits, rather than protecting their intellectual assets.
Pros
Lovely teas and lunch rooms.
Cons
hassles and meetings
Amazing people to work with
Resolutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA3 April 2017
The people you work with make the job bearable. It's not an easy job, but if you go in, do your job and leave everything at work, you will succeed. I would recommend for thick skinned people.
Pros
Organises fun things to keep up morale.
Cons
Difficult Customers
Helpful colleagues and good management at time I worked there
Project Administrator, Energy Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW14 March 2017
Good and supportive environment to be in. Managers were encouraging and provided training. Unfortunately, restructures occurred which lost many skilled employees.
Pros
Good team environment and supportive managers
Cons
Restructures losing skilled employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Origin Energy. Our community is ready to answer.