Oscar Wylee

27: Oscar Wylee Employee Reviews

Australia27 reviews

2.8Work–Life Balance

Provide good optical experience but management can be improved

Friendly, supportive team, open to learning opportunities. Provides new members with the training of the basics in optics and customer service. Straightforward point of sales and patient managing system.The minuses were the underlying competitiveness (sales-focus), lack of communication between manager and team members, and poor rostering system.

Good place

Relaxed team culture, relaxed attire, not too much pressure to meet kpis. Management is relaxed. However, as a casual, shifts are limited and few. Perks are free glasses.

One of the best jobs i've had! So much support from your team, as well as Managers from other stores, and the area management. Very fun and friendly workplace to be a part of!Makes such a change from my previous jobs

Zero integrity of upper management

There is so much I could say, but- zero training, next minute I was dispensing multifocals alone in the store with no backup. Having to open and close and do days alone when completely inexperienced with no training or help. The promise of 30 hours a week, then regularly only getting a shift a week. Regional manager who caused a scene in front of customers and got into an argument on the shop floor with rival store personnel. Unprofessional management. Empty promises. Sweet talking. Just toxic. It might seem fun, but just don’t do it to yourself.

Often feel unacknowledged by higher management

I've been with the company since the opening of their first store, there was a lot of miscommunication and two faced, backstabbing behavior going on from head office, but it's safe to say that the management style has improved drastically since then. It’s a good company to work at casually as they offer slightly higher salaries than other places if you have some optical background. As a full time however, you might find yourself feeling expendable and easily replaced by any other person; throughout the six years I have been with the company, the price of the products has inflated 3-4 times while my salary remained the same (with the exception of promotions; but salary remained at base rate of the position even after years of experience in that role), there weren’t any regular reviews for the staff, only reviews for the store and what else the manager can do to create more profit for the company. Management can get pushy if performance stalemates and it's generally up to the manager to "be the bad guy" and cut casuals' shifts.The work experience can vary depending on which location you are stationed. My team is definitely the best thing about working in Oscar Wylee despite the fast turnover time every year. I don’t feel like the company values their staff enough and it has been very demotivating and uninspiring to work here when we are treated like machines. I feel undervalued and unmotivated most days since it doesn't matter if we meet KPI targets, higher ups will always want us to achieve bigger and higher sales with little to no incentive or praise. This job has however -

fun

i think it was really fun however the management was a bit lacklustre sometimes and some customers were extremely picky and hard to work with. might just be my area though not to sutre tbh

Retail team being like a work family but very poor head office management

I really love the team environment and just the vibes at the store in general that im experiencing at oscar wylee so much better then specsavers absolutely love the retail side but the managent from area managers and hr are super poor theres no support at all and they expect you to do everything yourself, ive noticed a few issues with stuff within the store and been told that the area manager doesnt wanna do anything about it which is ridiculous, its just all over the place and the other upsetting thing is im getting a pay rate as an assistant manager the same as a full time/part time role would get, i was earning more as a part timer in my old job…

Pros

Great team environment

Cons

Poor salary, poor management from head office

Great staff, horrible upper management

Worked with many great teams, with all great staff. Overworked and underpaid and was mistreated and ignored by upper management. Company is not good at managing staff and giving them appropriate training.

Pros

Good environment and teams

Cons

Bad upper management, lack of communication

Team culture

Store culture was positive and supportive of all team members. Enabled staff to give all customers the best experience and feel valued. Staff training ongoing and progression encouraged. Only a new company so things changing and evolving. More experienced staff being employed to provide great optical knowledge and training

Pros

Free spectacles, flexible working, training and development

Cons

New company so can have quiet periods

Great job with opportunities to progress

I have worked in retail for a long time and decided to apply for Oscar Wylee to branch away from a regular retail job. It has honestly been the best decision, as it is a stimulating, interesting yet relaxing job. There are lots of opportunities to progress within the company, and lots of training is provided to gain a further understanding of optics if you have not had that background previously. Great benefits, and great work environment.

Pros

Progression, glasses benefits

Cons

Need time to understand optics if havent had experience before

toxic

I wouldn’t even know where to begin with this company. Condescending management teams, no work life balance, staff are constantly bullied by upper management and when it is reported, nothing is done about it. There is a huge staff turnover rate due to this, and very unhappy teams. absolutely no incentives in place for doing well and you’re lucky if you get paid correctly. This company only cares about money, and nothing else. ‘Offer genuine eye tests’ is a huge lie when there is absolutely no training included for staff who have no previous optical experience. You’re dealing with people’s eyes, yet there is NO care factor. Maybe should have just stuck to being an online business because this company working as an ‘optometrist’ genuinely sucks.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Career progression - Job security

Career progressions and company is still steadily growing be during Covid. Work hard and get promoted. Collaborative work environment, reasonable KPI compared to most practise in the industry. Hands on and approachable management.

Pros

Company value. Career progression. Work life balance.

Great team culture

So glad I made the move to OW!!! I have been in the industry for +10years and OW has welcomed me in like family, the team culture is amazing and the on going support from upper management is fantastic. Store setups are welcoming and the vibe created in store makes you want to come to work every day. Also no uncomfortable hideous uniform.

Pros

Staff discount, uniform, culture, incentives, work life balance.

Getting better with time

Worked at Oscar Wylee for three years seeing many changes over this time. People are treated fairly there’s plenty of room for opportunity and growth and things are changing rapidly.

Pros

Free glasses, work life balance

Cons

Sometimes busy, training could be better.

Worst Management I've ever encountered from top to bottom

Worked for this company for under a year and it was the worst experience I've ever had. As a store manager, my area manager was useless. expectations were completely unrealistic. very little support from upper management and company head office. They screwed me and other staff over because they were lazy to do the right thing. It is a new company with little experience and constantly changing things. The quality of their products was terrible as well, which meant we had to deal with so many complaints with very little support.

Pros

Bonuses were good, quiet enough to have a cruisy day

Cons

experience is lacking, lack of professionalism, terrible upper management

worst job ever

the manager was an absolute mess. the whole company did nothing but gossip and discriminate other workers and customers who weren't "rich". it was embarrassing to be working for them

Pros

literally nothing

Cons

everything about this brand

Toxic company with a bad ethos and culture

My time at Oscar Wylee was marred with false promises and no help from upper management. Consistently cut shifts when stores weren’t preforming. More focus on making money, rather than helping people with their eye sight. Little to no training at all, the lack of communication between management and staff was outstanding. Furthermore the lack of acceptance and accountability in regards to their “eye care for eye care program was abhorrent.Avoid at all costs, thoroughly depressing and no room for improvement.The accent group of optics.

Cons

A company thats ever evolving.

My experience with this business has been pretty good so far. It is a company that is growing and expanding, with a great vibe. Good culture and great people to work with.

Pros

Free glasses. Good pay and bonus. Not a large amount of KPI's.

Cons

Run lean with staffing. Not at the forefront of Optometry in terms of equipment.

Lifeless Retail

Staff are consistently expected to work outside of contracted hours and overtime is not on offer. These extra hours are not tracked and are never given accurately in lieu. Flexibility to hours is not on offer no matter how many of these overtime hours are worked. (unless you are the manager)This combined with already very low salaries and low staff rewards does not foster a motivated workplace. Management has little to no access to offer any incentives to drive and motivate their staff - as well as little opportunity to have positive impact on KPIs. Ideas and suggestions from management are rarely taken into consideration and head office can be extremely condescending. Never hear from state or area managers unless the store is not performing or having people issues.Absolutely no work culture, stores have no access to statistics of other stores to compare successes, and competition between stores is discouraged. No platform for feedback as it is not asked for or facilitated, there is no opportunity to express concerns. Staff are under qualified and training is brief.Management routinely checks security footage of the store during days they did not work to check on staff behaviour. On the upside there is plenty of opportunity for progression as staff turnover is high.

Pros

progression

Cons

Culture, Hours, Flexibility, Management, Pay, Feedback, Low Incentives, No Discount, Poor Communication

Manager needs to go

I worked with some nice employees through out my time at Oscar Wylee but saw employees bullied, belittled and back stabbed by the Manager of this store. Oscar Wylee need to look at their Management Staff as there are some huge issues through out staff in this area. The amount of complaints regarding the Manager was embarrassing.

Pros

Free glasses

Cons

Manager was a bully

No support and upper management had no idea...

I was bullied and be little by a store manager and NOTHING was done. It was turned around to make me feel like it was all me "being sensitive" I had the responsibility of ALL the managers tasks and to take care of the team. Everyone in upper management are backstabbing, false talk rubbish. No support and BAD culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oscar Wylee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Oscar Wylee with

Learn about Oscar Wylee in popular locations

• Oscar Wylee
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?