PACCAR Inc. Employee Reviews

Company is Always going to make money
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MS7 February 2019
It will always be a company first everything else a distant second. A couple of years ago there was a sudden snow storm with 14 inches of snow that hit the ground in the matter of 2-3 hours. People left due to fear of getting kids, etc. They wrote up and/or fired a bunch of them. Absolutely insane.

They are just extremely old school and in the end its a game of favorites more than anywhere else I've ever worked. Its not the worst place in the world and yet for a salaried position, its the last place I would ever want to work again.

On the plus side, they have decent benefits but save vacation days in case they don't have enough work for you which happens frequently or you'll go unpaid. They also will layoff hourly workers in a heartbeat in order preserve their 75+ year streak of making a profit.

If you know anyone that works there, ask about the Chairman.

Everyone else works there because they are local and don't want to move and there just aren't that many good paying companies in the area.

Again, I warned you!
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Everything else
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Renton, WA27 January 2019
Rarely were there days with little to do. I learned a lot about making decisions and standing by them and being given the freedom to do my job. The hardest part was learning to work with proprietary applications in an environment where everyone is very busy. Most enjoyable for me was the challenge and strapping myself in to figure things out and master them.
Pros
Security of work
Cons
Some on the team didn't pull their weight
Great place to learn on your own but management is lacking
Maintainability/Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MS21 January 2019
From a professional perspective, Paccar is still a very young company and have not gotten their bearings yet. There are not very many driven individuals that would like to see the company grow and are currently just doing the bare minimum. As a result, teamwork and leadership are severely compromised. As far as engineering, Paccar does not encourage their engineers to come up with original thinking and most projects are greatly outsourced due to "limited time availability." Most of their engineers there are what you would call "powerpoint" engineers and spend more time in meetings and making fancy useless powerpoint slides than doing engineeering.
Paccar is however a great place if focusing on all the advanced technological equipment available, if only there were people better suited to handle such equipment, it would have made the day a little bit less frustrating. Hoping over the years that more forward thinking people are hired and spend less time re-configuring personnel around. It'ls like a game of musical chairs when it comes to job opportunities there, except the chairs never decrease.
Pros
Great place to learn and become your own person
Cons
Horrible management personnel, most coordinators have not clue the kind of work needed and are basically glorified babysitters, Lack of leadership is rusty and questionable.
Results Driven Career Progression Oriented
ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA19 January 2019
PACCAR is a great place to work if you're a go-getter and want to be able to get diversified experience in several roles. If you produce great work you are recognized and often compensated with moving up in the organization.
Good job but management needs to remove buddy system.
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MS19 January 2019
Good job. However there is a problem. There is a buddy system there that allows certain people promotions while there are others who are qualified get passed over because they are not part of the buddy system.
Productive and good place to work. They really work as a team there.
Opertational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Algona, WA10 January 2019
You are cross trained in an area so often times you are not stuck in one place. They can get busy from time to time. A person can learn a lot from there such as using technology in your workplace to achieve a goal, Team work and team building. The HR department is wonderful however the actual floor managers rarely listen to their workers. The hardest part is when a Manager decides to change something that only ends up hurting the workers there productively. Even after being explained as to why it hurts the production line. Often times the floor leads and Management team do not listen. Though the people that actually work with you are the best part, as a team we can pull each other together.
Pros
Great benefits, Good pay, great people to work with, paid holidays off and vacation.
Cons
Management team does not work with their workers, employment is based on economy
narcissistic management
DIESEL ENGINE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Renton, WA2 January 2019
I had planned time off in advance and was written up for it. I was also offered a new position after working there for eight months and was intentionally written up again to prevent me from accelling within the company.
Pros
They got a lunch room
Cons
Poor management
Great place but needs to adapt
AERODYNAMICS AND FUEL ECONOMY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WA17 December 2018
PACCAR needs to adapt to the new wave of engineers. They are losing top talent out of school for two reasons. Low pay and formal dress code. This dress code definitely hurt my performance and was rather annoying.
Pros
Pretty relaxed
Cons
Business Casual dress code daily.
good place to work
Unit Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TX10 December 2018
Only worry is layoffs, day to day is busy and satisfying but have to worry about product demand. good benefits, some perks and treated well. a lot of 30+ people work there that are staying because of health insurance reasons.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
layoffs
Open and honest communication. Great team members
Sr. SDET at Web Delivery (Former Employee) –  Renton, WA16 November 2018
Open and honest communication. ...
Cooperation, support, and empowerment.
Relaxed and productive atmosphere
Compassion, respect, and understanding
Great team work

Want to know more about PACCAR Inc.?

Ask a question
Lots of learning opportunities
UNIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY8 November 2018
I learned/gained a whole lot of new tools at PACCAR that I will carry with me forever. They encouraged me to think outside of the box and chase my dreams. I appreciate their generosity and wish them all the best.
Pros
Gracious employees
Cons
Long hours / No OT pay
Miserable place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Mayhew,ms27 September 2018
The worst job i ever had they treat you as if you are a child or as its a priveledge to work for paccar employee's are definetly not #1 if u looking to retire in the next few years then its the place for you
Pros
Cons
Poorly operated
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Thérèse, QC28 August 2018
I was an intern for 4 months. People said that the starting salary is good but it doesn't go up as fast as other companies. I've seen some people count the number of days before their retirement. They looked bored in the offices.
A good place to start and a good place to retire
Engineer (Current Employee) –  USA23 August 2018
PACCAR is an excellent place to start working and an excellent place to retire. As a starting job, pay and benefits are amazing. The retirement plan is amazing. Not only do they have a 401(k) (with up to 5% matching) but there's also a pension plan. Not many companies have that anymore. However, for a mid-career employer, it seems lacking. The advancement potential seems low as they prefer to practice "pro-tations." This is when, instead of a promotion, they rotate you around for you to gain experience in other fields. Eventually though, you will have done everything and stay where you are. Given that that is the only negative I can think of at PACCAR, I very much do recommend it.
Challenging and Educational Experience
Sr.Lease Admin./Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA20 August 2018
My day never began as intended. Before my coat was off I would have several people asking for something. It was fast paced, stressful and demanding of perfection.

I learned how to multi-task and prioritize work tasks.

The work culture was very professional as this was a corporate office environment. I could be tasked to provide upper management to CEO and senior staff assistance as anytime.

The most difficult part of my job was a very demanding senior officer requesting assistance in simple daily operations, i.e. computer usage, email and phones. I have to say after 20 years I did a great job in training. At year 6 - I was able to eliminate the Dictaphone!

The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I met and had a professional relationship with. A great company with support and training.
Pros
A progressive compay, well rounded
Cons
Stressfull work enviroment, must be able to multi-task.
Great experience
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MS19 August 2018
No two days were the same at PEC; which was a good thing. I was fortunate to work with a close-knit team.

We worked hard and always had tons of great food. It was one of the first jobs that felt more family-oriented than anything else.

The hardest part of the job was the initial learning curve of the duties which settled after a month or two.

The most enjoyable part was getting a chance to meet the people there and help solve problems wherever possible.
Pros
Great company benefits; Competitive Pay; and internal promotion practices
Good experience but old fashioned
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA13 August 2018
I had a good experience working at PACCAR and learned a lot working in the accounting department. The company is definitely behind the times and needs to start adapting to the current job market or they won't be able to attract new talent. Overall I don't regret working at PACCAR because of how much I learned, but the company definitely needs a cultural overhaul.
Cons
Strict dress code, strict hours
Decent place to get experience
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WA13 August 2018
Decent place to work, you can get alot of experience here. The work culture is very 1970's and very old school. They need to change the culture to get the best employees pssoible
Pros
Benefits, people
Cons
management, culture
good
Full Stack Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA9 August 2018
Everyone here is really smart, and wants to succeed both personally, and as a company. People collaborate and help each other, focus on data, and truly focus on the customer
It is Fun to work at Paccar
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA8 August 2018
It nice to work at Paccar with family since their schedule is flexible and the work balance so good but i want new challenge for two reason one the commute issue and prefer to work remote

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PACCAR Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.