Pacific National
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Pacific National Employee Reviews

Australia39 reviews
It is overall a good company. Nice and helpful people, good culture but management is not willing to accept changes quickly although they promise to change. Things don't move quickly and you have to wait and wait to get things on the right track and that too sometimes doesn't happen.
I have not seen any good project get completed during my tenure. Management only communicates their will to implement changes but it never happens.
A really friendly and great place to work. Pay and conditions are very favorable. Management really care about the workforce and respect their workers.
Good place to work ,relaxed atmosphere,very little interference from management, good money with reasonable time off between shifts.
Typical shift 0730-1930 go out to Parkeston change crews head out to Cook (860kms away) ,on arrival refuel and change crews.
Alright if you wanna make money and not give a doody about the consequences. Unfortunately I was brought up differently.
A lot of incidences hidden not my forte after transferring here in 1970 to help create what these people are reaping the rewards of. Pretty dodgy got made redundant then massive influx of jobs created in the head office 2000km away in Sydney
Really enjoyed my time at Pacific National. Would be happy to return in similar role. Great work and culture. Lots of opportunity and challenging project work. We'll supported by management.
I would recommend people to work for this company, as management and staff are friendly and supportive to work alongside. During the short time I was there I had enjoyed the work and learned a new skill. .
Senior management are ignorant and arrogant, and have little respect or care for those they are supposed to manage. Post the changeover of much of the executive team the company has really become an unhealthy environment to work in (it was actually a lot better over 2 years ago). There is some really good people that work there, but (in Finance at least) there are several in upper management they have hired over the last 2 years (or thereabouts) who are downright disrespectful. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.
Pros
Money is good (but not worth your soul)
Cons
For the first time ever in my career I suffered anxiety and stress, no support from HR who only protected the company and the executives
Non existent onboarding process. 3-4 weeks to get access to required systems.
"Colleagues" unhelpful and unwilling to be helpful.

Toxic workplace. AVOID.
Pacific National always provided a stable, positive and just environment to work.
Given the transport operational nature of the business, it certainly provided challenges to ones ability at times, however, my overall feeling was a positive one given the way that the teams operated and behaved under considerable pressures.

The culture is more of a blue collar culture,even in a lot of the office environments and given that most employees are train crew, there is a unionised culture throughout.

The hardest part of the roles is undoubtedly having to work under pressure in times of disruption where ambiguity reigns, however this was generally the most satisfying part of the roles too once positive outcomes were achieved.

There really are some exceptional people in this business.
Pros
Excellent wages compared to other industries
Cons
Rail tends to provide levels of operational ambiguity that will challenge people
Good opportunities. My then boss was a good mentor and supportive in terms of training, inclusion etc. Interaction with Corporate was excellent. They provided training which was also really good.
High stress at times
Learned all aspects of maintenance ,loco ,wagon info

Parts ,schedules,rosters ,time management

Workplace culture was meant to be transparent but wasn't .

Unsecured work .

Most enjoyable team work mates
Pros
Large logistics company
Cons
Not secure
the grass is 100% greener on the other side....
they will chew you up and spit you out

no loyalty

no desire to help you be the best you can be

....
Good team culture but management suffers from cronyism and nepotism.
There was a general lack of training in my area(because they were relying on skills transferred from another company).
Pros
Good team morale
Cons
cronyism and nepotism
Requires better managers that know about rail industry. Runs skeleton staff and rolling stock. Locomotives breakdown and can take up to 3 days to move the train waiting on Locomotive to arrive. Staff shortage constant due to staff going of sick, late running service
Pros
Nil
Cons
Runs skeleton staff and rolling stock. Not family orientated
A busy productive work environment.
Satisfaction in moving customers Freight nationally.

A good working repore with other CSC's and transport companies with in the industry.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
none to report
Very good company, was told they would re employ me should I return, enjoyed my time there and made many friends.
Management could always improve, but are doing a fair job given they are trying to meet targets
Pros
Accomodation and food power allowsnce
Cons
Shift work
Loved working with management, my voice was heard and safety was a main priority with keeping people safe in the work place. The working environment was a great atmosphier. Working as a terminal operator was always a great position to be in.
Pros
people
Cons
People at Pacific National are great. Its the people you work with that make the company. All employees are hard working.
They could improve in the area of training as their is so much to learn in this industry and about this business.
Pros
Alot to learn in this business
In my role every day was different with ample opportunities to make a difference. Satisfaction of knowing that without my intervention, set programs would not be achieved. Each day had its challenges with the rewards of learning something new. Working in a self managed team environment fostered a can do attitude where you take ownership of a problem and fix it with collaboration of your co-workers. The most satisfying part of the job is knowing that you have contributed in the companies success because of my interpersonal and negotiation skills in achieving the targets.
Pros
24/7 operation
Cons
24/7 operation
Working was great the team was very good had the best experience
& very hard workers who were always ready to step up when needed to happen
Pros
The team & the way we worked together
Cons
Criticism when i did'nt think it was warranted
I goto work come home happy is all I have to say its a fun environment easy going and would like to continue working for the company as long as possible