Peabody Energy
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Peabody Energy Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
Good company environment with a good team and safety culture
Good opportunities for upskilling

Good leadership team with very up to date resources

Advanced technology systems and equipment a major priority
When a site is run by a GM who is only interested in appearing to corporate to do the right thing and then failing to follow up with the 'doing' at a site level -what hope does the site culture have.

Never been made to feel more demoralised for putting in 110% effort at any workplace before.

Absolutely no chance of advancement and no work life balance.

Avoid this place at all costs. The BIGGEST boys club culture ever seen after working 15 years in the mining industry across QLD, NSW and WA. If you ain't part of the club, you are looking in the window from 2km away after being locked in the shed.

Good luck to those who do not head this advice.
Pros
Not sure there was any
Cons
Gm, Senior Leaders Team members
Long 12.5 hour shifts. Training was very good. Management was always the problem no thanks for the effort put in and the moral is very low due to this.
Pros
going home
Cons
Managment
i loved working for Peabody Energy and would do almost anything to get a start back in the mines with them great company and great culture
pay rate was great and camp environment was like a resort
Pros
salary/friendships
Cons
away from family
False promises, over worked, lack of pay, mean and nasty environment, say one thing, do another.

Management was a mix, some exceptional and then of course the handful of know it all, nasty, and then also lazy managers

Culture on site is of course what you make it, when there are good people around you can ignore the bad, but if you ever want to go anywhere, this is not the company.
Pros
great camp, some good people
Cons
long hours, no room for growth, no pay rises
What an unpleasant place to work. Money was average for mining. There are no opportunities made available to staff unless you are part of the 'corrupt elite' and the Senior Leadership team was terrible. Some of the managers had no integrity and they were viewed as a complete joke. I would not recommend working here unless things have changed completely.
Pros
Long hours normalised.
Cons
Terrible management
Has been a good place to work but unfortunately it is ending 31st October 2017 - have been rewarded for my hard work and dedication to my roles and flexibility has been good
Great place to work with great work colleagues. Great environment with everyone helping each other out when needed. With my position as a dozer and grader operator I get to see what difference i make during the day and how i can improve for the next day. Management team is always there to support you when needed.
Pros
Happy Place to work at, accomodation and food.
Cons
Long days but rewarding to get through the daily workload
Has lots of great trades willing to help out and a great knowledge

Hardest part of the job is continuing via phone at home after hours

Most enjoyable part is seeing projects come to fruition
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Constant change and short term focus as the business attempts to maintain viability, and this is distracting the frontline from what they are there to do. Tough environment to maintain motivation in the team. Good place to improve people management skills.
Pros
FIFO equal time roster
Cons
Uncertainity, constant change with short term focus
busy times were start of shift - ensure crews had information to perform their roles, end of shift gather reports / gas logs / submit reports to head office plus shift crews. constant monitoring of process conditions / gas environment / belt status / ventilation appliances. ensure all calls from underground handled as if an emergency call even to not answering calls from managers / CEO.
Peabody Energy Has been a great place to work for the past 3 or so years.
During the time I have been with Peabody my knowledge base has increased due to the training that has been given to me.

I first started as a Store Person where I was part of the team that made the change from Ellipsis to S.A.P spending about 2 years in this role.

Then due to restructure made by Peabody I was then given the opportunity with a new role as the Purchasing Clerk for Coppabella mine. Approximately 1 year later I move to Millennium Mine as the Purchasing Clerk.

Since I have been at Millennium I have received training in the Purchasing Officer Role.
Pros
The people i work with are great
Cons
Long Hours
I would attend the pre-shift meeting with management from the mine that would pass on information to all persons and inform persons of any incidents. I was shift boss this means I would speak to the undermanager who would give me a job sheet for the shift. Then I would have a meeting with my crew explaining what work would be carried out that day. I would deploy men to the appropriate work site ensuring that they understand what is expected of them. I would ensure that all ppe is worn during the shift. My work meant I would work with the crews ensuring all standards are met to mine site requirements. The hardest part of the job was the dusty hot conditions that we worked in. Most enjoyable was the trust that built up with the men and working to a high standard and having a safe productive shift.
Pros
camp accomadation
Cons
12 hour shifts
There were many days of complete chaos where mine planning didn't exist and adlibbing was the norm.
Good lessons learnt were patience,crystal balling,double checking all directives,don't take anything for granted.

Management weren't always right'

There were good and not so good in co-workers but experiance helped deal with it all.

Waking up at 3am on a cold morning and driving to work.

Watching a set task unfold and being completed within required time safely.

Utilising many years of experience to plan and implement jobs and having the satisfaction of seeing them done.

Motivating a willing crew was always good.

Observing the training of raw recruits and seeing them meet their goals along with company expectations.
Pros
Home every night, good crew
Cons
As a production operator it was my requirement to meet a min of 10000 BCM a day, which on most days was achievable depending on trucks, single bench, double bench.
Being part of D Crew which was established in March of 2011 and came to an end as of 2013 sad to say. However the time that was spent with this bunch of miss fits was rewarding to say the least.
Pros
Training
Cons
Closing the mined