Petbarn
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Petbarn Employee Reviews

Australia57 reviews
Worked at petbarn for 15 months. At first it was great, we were tight knit & I was progressing well until a change of management. The whole culture changed, management was not managing, claiming they didnt get "paid enough" to teach new skills and it became a toxic environment. Dogs were stressed, so SO much yelling and harsh handling of dogs. Didn't progress at all in the 5 months of new "management" coming in and I'd come home so unhappy and stressed (not me at all) I left, found a better job and am doing so much better! Actually progressing and fast
Hi there never got paid had work experience there and would love to work in there again with pay this time. I had such a great time there and would like to have another chance to work
Supportive workplace and lovely team. I enjoyed my time working at the company. They also have a lot of mental health and workplace support for their employees, also a lot of resources made available for learning about products.
The hardest part of the job would have to be getting all the stock out on time and the cleaning. I learned how you sort the products through the bar codes.
The team at Oxenford are beyond any team of people I've worked with before. Self motivators, genuine people. They made work more enjoyable. The Dynamics were excellent, Lots of learning information on specific areas which have to be completed online and updated regularly.
I really enjoyed working at Petbarn when I first started because of the team at my store. They were all young and hard-working animal lovers like me, including the manager. Once the manager left however Petbarn hired externally. Countless managers and ASMs left quickly often saying the store had more problems they were led to believe. There is zero care or support from upper management. Serious suggestions or concerns were only listened to if they were from my male colleagues. Everyone in my store operated a forklift for a long time without a licence because they didn't want to pay to train anyone. Shifts were constantly cut yet we were expected to do more work.

The pay is not too bad especially on Sundays and public holidays. It is ok on the floor when you are just serving and running stock. If you want to work there I would suggest only working as a retail assistant because it is not worth it if you have any responsibility. They usually hire good staff to provide good customer service and run most of the store. Managers and ASMs tend to delegate jobs rather than do them.
Petbarn was a great work experience and I would recommend it to my friends and family. The employees at Petbarn are very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my work there.
Fun to play with animals
The animals are cute and adorable

You can wash, care, feed, sleep routine

The management is good

the most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the animals
A very great place to work you get on the job ongoing training both theory and practical , team members are very supportive of each other and theres always work..
Pros
Having a training portal yo learn about products and animals
Cons
Hard to climb the career ladder
I've learn lots of things in Petbarn, I met lots of different people and dealing with different type of pet food. I love to work with Petbarn as I love animals a lot
Booking in pets, getting owners to sign consent forms. What I learned, managers are out for themselves. Management do not understand emotional strain in running a salon on your own handling 50kg size dogs, matted dogs and trying to groom them whilst they are trying to bite you. When something goes wrong with customers due to their poor communication and disrespecting your workplace, you get a customer complaint-you are judged and told off before you have explained your side. When this happens to you you're frozen out by the other staff members. Companies with this type of culture don't care about you, they only care about the bottom line ($$$$)
With my good grooming work was able to get over 120 clients with the majority returning. I meet lovely clients that appreciated my grooms on their pets.
Pros
Cons
Don't give a hoot about the groomer just the bottom $$$
typically a good company as any other would expect, customers are good to deal with, and HR is always there to give you a hand and help where they can.
Working with my salon manager at Petbarn was great! We worked really well as a team and helped each other grow as groomers. She made it really great to come into work!

As far as the company goes their employee discount is hardly worth working there for as most customers get coupons equal or greater to our discount. Because I was a casual employee I only got superannuation and discounts as benefits. As far as wage goes, they didn't pay groomers as "groomers" but rather "retail staff" so I don't feel I was compensated for my education and experience. There's also no motivation to "move up" to salon manager as the pay is not worth all the work that the promotion entails.

I also feel that the company as a whole has an unrealistic expectation of the groomers. The communication with the company about our concerns never were addressed .

Grooming in general is a pretty full on job. Seeing people who neglect their pets is always hard. Then on the other hand it's hard to deal with people who are so picky about their dogs! It's a very hard job but can be rewarding for the right person.
Pros
Working with animals.
Cons
Very corporate nature, didn't feel like they cared much for anything but money.
Can't say much as it wasn't a full job, just to get some work in, not paid or there for too long. I guess from the short time I was there, it was great.
Upper level management care little for even the hardest working of employees, and nothing says that more than the amount of jobs piled on while alot of hours get cut. Employee discount is next to nothing.

A typical day includes tons of customer service, which is company policy to put first even though your manage expects you to get ten other jobs (usually away from the registers) done.

Tons of stuff to learn about customer service and animal care, except you're expected to do all your online training in your own time. There's probably around 100-150 hours of it all up.

Stock control is an absolute joke, with no flexibility to adjust amounts in orders, resulting in large excess amounts of unwanted goods and no way to order more stuff on sale until whoops the sale is over and customers missed out. Unreasonable demands such as unpaid staff meetings and working the late shifts the managers don't want to work is normal. Managers themselves all have to work 45 hour weeks with no way to take their owed time, so they're all stressed and taking it out on their team. Oh and they might loose their bonuses if they put too many staff on and go over budget, so guess how often a store is properly staffed.

Most of all it's very sad to see animal care sacrificed to try to make more time in the day. Petbarn are a typical large company who only care about profits not their team. Which is sad because there's alot of good customers, brands and services on offer, they could achieve so much more.
Pros
Great customers, interesting jobs.
Cons
Poor upper management
When working at pet barn it was good space and I enjoyed every single moment working at pet barn. the customers and workers were really nice to me and I did the same back. I learned many things that can help me in the future such as keeping clean and tidy in every way and how to succeed to not be so nervous and just to be the nicest you can. the manager was very nice and determine to help me the best me I can be. it was very good working their and hardly any of the animals died because of the care I gave them. the hardest part of the job was really nothing is was all easy to me. I really enjoyed when we had fish deliveries and I could do every fish, and washing and feeding the livestock and making the place look very presentable to the customers.
Pros
the kindness of the people around and looking after the animals.
Cons
theres hardly nothing to do if you working for 9 hours a day.
Did placement experience here. Loved it. All the staff were friendly and happy to teach me all that was needed. They did all they could to make the customers needs and wants fulfilled
Hard work and a lot to know about the job and products but very friendly staff and customers, welcoming atmosphere. Great team-work mentality everyone helps out each other.
Pros
Pet orientated, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
Short lunch breaks, poor pay.
Worked as a forklift operator to load/unload trucks also put aways and stacking pallets. Very repetitive work.Always saftey first while working always being aware of what's going on around me.
when working at petbarn, i was doing work experience. it was a nice environment, everyone was nice and gets along with each other. i was put to work on cleaning and stock replenishment and greeting customers.
Pros
got to check out products i would buy for my own pets
Cons
very hard work lifting the bags of dog buiscuts onto the shelves
Great work environment. Easy people to get along with. You get taught so much about all the products and the computer systems. you get to meet so many amazing people through customer service and of course their pets!!