Petbarn

Petbarn Employee Reviews

Australia68 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Excellent learning opportunities with chances to progress

Have no dramas working for Petbarn. You meet great customers and have a chance to make a difference when it comes to educating new and existing pet parents.

Pros

Great learning opportunities and staff incentives

Cons

Heavy Lifting

Wonderful place to work!

I absolutely love it! Been with petbarn for 2 years now. It’s an amazing supportive caring environment. Always super flexible with rostering around my study and appointments. Even better yet- when I have more availability I’m often able to pick up extra shifts. Super respectful of boundaries and limits. I love that there is always more to learn and new ways to grow. Over all I couldn’t ask for a better job or better people to work with!!

Bad place to work

Bad place to work, you don’t get paid enough and most of the time there are no customers in the store, staff there were friendly. Always had to work weekend

Good place for learning

Great job for learning about pet health, merchandise and nutrition. Staff were generally very competitive and could be rude at times. Management was lovely but generally didn’t take on new ideas or critiques from employees

Management will not communicate anything to you, treats you like rubbish and offer no support

Save your sanity. Don't work for petbarn. Especially in grooming as the regional mangers take no time to learn anything within the grooming department and ignore your pleads for assistance. They also gossip to other stores rather than helping. I slipped into an awful mental health state due to this and they still refused to help out.

Pros

Nice co workers

Cons

Awful, terrible, selfish, irresponsible regional managers.

Lots of learning, no career progression

Poor culture and no job growth or training all self paced and time consuming online module training No support lots of tasks that are meaningless Said can bring pets along to work but discouraged All about cash and process

Pros

Pets that come into work

Cons

Long hours low pay

Amazing managers and supervisors!

It was lovely working for Petbarn. The training was thorough and the supervisors and manager were lovely to work under. There was no politics or drama and everyone got along really well. The customer interactions were generally positive conflict resolution was difficult due to much of product availability and control being with distribution centres. The website and the systems were an absolute nightmare as most things were outdated and slow. Overall a nice place to work at and very friendly and kind colleagues and management.

Pros

Staff discounts, great management, lovely colleagues

Cons

Long hours, very volatile customers, extremely slow systems and sometimes the environment can get stressful

good group of workers in salon , management etc not to great

good bunch of girls in the salon, equal workplace, everyone gets in and helps each other out when needed. can be stressful and busy at times. salon and bathing room is very outdated and needs upgrading. management slack when salon needs urgent things done. eg: shower head was cracked and dribbling, barely useable. took 2 weeks to order a new hose when we could've ducked to Bunnings and had it done in 5 mins.

Pros

good grooming team, get to work with dogs all day

Cons

pay could be better for such a physical job, salon not modern and updated like the others.

Poor workplace culture and toxic environment

The only time I have ever worked for a company which has had a toxic workplace environment. Management constantly changes and their staff retention is low (presumably due to the atmosphere in the store).

Pros

Staff discount, patting dogs

Cons

Manual labour, toxic environment, poor support from upper management

One of the Better Places I have worked

From the beginning, I have been made feel respected and like a person to the upper management of Petbarn. The hierarchy visit my store occasionally and are great with myself and my team. They treat everyone as a valued team member. My direct manager has been amazing in assisting me to continue to grow.and develop myself and my store.

Pros

There is always a wagging tail in store to make you smile

Cons

Can get demanding at times.

Do not work here ever

worked for this joke of a company for 8 years and was NEVER offered any higher position. I had to BEG for a supervisor role! I had more experience than anyone else i worked with (even management!)

Pros

Cons

everything

Ok

Hi there never got paid had work experience there and would love to work in there again with pay this time. I had such a great time there and would like to have another chance to work

Overall okay

Worked at petbarn for 15 months. At first it was great, we were tight knit & I was progressing well until a change of management. The whole culture changed, management was not managing, claiming they didnt get "paid enough" to teach new skills and it became a toxic environment. Dogs were stressed, so SO much yelling and harsh handling of dogs. Didn't progress at all in the 5 months of new "management" coming in and I'd come home so unhappy and stressed (not me at all) I left, found a better job and am doing so much better! Actually progressing and fast

Lovely Team

Supportive workplace and lovely team. I enjoyed my time working at the company. They also have a lot of mental health and workplace support for their employees, also a lot of resources made available for learning about products.

Productive and Fun

The hardest part of the job would have to be getting all the stock out on time and the cleaning. I learned how you sort the products through the bar codes.

Close team of wonderful people who share similar passion for pets

The team at Oxenford are beyond any team of people I've worked with before. Self motivators, genuine people. They made work more enjoyable. The Dynamics were excellent, Lots of learning information on specific areas which have to be completed online and updated regularly.

a terrible company, keep all the good workers at the bottom

I really enjoyed working at Petbarn when I first started because of the team at my store. They were all young and hard-working animal lovers like me, including the manager. Once the manager left however Petbarn hired externally. Countless managers and ASMs left quickly often saying the store had more problems they were led to believe. There is zero care or support from upper management. Serious suggestions or concerns were only listened to if they were from my male colleagues. Everyone in my store operated a forklift for a long time without a licence because they didn't want to pay to train anyone. Shifts were constantly cut yet we were expected to do more work. The pay is not too bad especially on Sundays and public holidays. It is ok on the floor when you are just serving and running stock. If you want to work there I would suggest only working as a retail assistant because it is not worth it if you have any responsibility. They usually hire good staff to provide good customer service and run most of the store. Managers and ASMs tend to delegate jobs rather than do them.

Great work experience

Petbarn was a great work experience and I would recommend it to my friends and family. The employees at Petbarn are very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my work there.

Fun to play with animals

Fun to play with animals The animals are cute and adorable You can wash, care, feed, sleep routine The management is good the most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the animals

Fantastic

A very great place to work you get on the job ongoing training both theory and practical , team members are very supportive of each other and theres always work..

Pros

Having a training portal yo learn about products and animals

Cons

Hard to climb the career ladder

Fun and active workplace

I've learn lots of things in Petbarn, I met lots of different people and dealing with different type of pet food. I love to work with Petbarn as I love animals a lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petbarn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Petbarn
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?