Petbarn Employee Reviews

Overall not worth it :/
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northern Territory2 November 2018
It is not very good pay, other than sundays and public holidays. They limit your shifts ALOT. Very busy and then incredibly boring for hours. Management is easy to negotiate with, but needs to hire more staff.

The teams are amazing, good people.

Rude customers.
Pros
30min lunches
Cons
long boring hours.
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queensland4 November 2017
Management expects a lot of overtime and meetings outside work hours to be taken up without pay or they threaten to cut hours ) fire you. Highly incompetent management in general to the point that they are either conveniently "sick" every weekend with no repurcussions or elsewise simply leave early when they feel like it, leaving junior staff to open, close and operate the store without management - which infuriates customers (and staff) to no end.

Anyone that isn't management will be treated like dirt by the head office and managers. Be expected to pull not only your own weight but that of the lazy managers as well. Pay is as low as you would expect from a retail chain.

The Petbarn group as a whole needs to reassess their company culture and their approach to stock management, customer management, and treatment of staff.

Would absolutely not recommended.
Pros
People sometimes bring in cute animals
Cons
The animals will make a mess on everything and you have to clean it. Also, everything else ranging from management culture to treatment of staff.
Dont stay there for long.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 July 2018
A typical day includes a lot of face to face customer service and sales, cleaning up the store after customers, merching in new products and replenishing stock, maintaining aquariums, scooping out dead fish from the aquariums, chatting to people with varying levels of animal care knowledge about their pets, meeting customers dogs (or sometimes cat or bunny or rat!), doing water tests and convincing customers that they should wait for the toxic water levels to subside before introducing fish into their new aquarium while their 4 year old is screaming about how they were promised a fish right now.

There seem to be two different store manager styles at Petbarn. The manager that is on the floor working with their team for the majority of the day and the other which is your office manager who stays in the office for 80 per cent of the day and comes out an hour before closing or leaves early claiming to be sick every other week.

I have nothing to say about upper management or the team at head office that hasn't already been written about. Its mostly negative.

The hardest part of the job is when you get stuck with a store manager that doesn't care about their staff members at all and it shows. Dealing with customers who have no interest in learning about fish keeping but want fish anyway.

The most enjoyable part is developing relationships with local and loyal customers and their pets.

Un paid team meetings and training nights. Casuals get their hours cut on a whim. If they end up not liking you they will force you out by cutting your hours down and telling other
  more... mangers not to give you shifts at other stores, watched it happen many times.  less
Pros
meeting people and their dogs that come into the store.
Cons
I couldn't fit them all here, thats why I left.
Great if you like corporate
Sales Assistant/Storeman (Former Employee) –  Nerang QLD24 October 2018
Very slow paced days and because of this, there is only 2-3 staff on sometimes.

Overpriced goods, backstabbing staff are most likely around every corner.
Learnt so much at petbarn, meeting new animals and people everyday, it was a fun place.
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD17 February 2018
Petbarn had some fantastic customers and was a great place to work, there was a a lot of different areas and you were always on the go which kept you busy in between customers, there was always something to do.
I loved the modules we had to complete as they taught you a lot about the products you were selling, having product knowledge and the basics for animals helped.
Pros
discount as i have lots of guinea pigs
IT was a good job taking care of the animals at all times
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD27 December 2017
My job was to look after and clean the cages and tanks . Also to manage the packaging and sorting . And to take personal care of the animals in need .
Pros
free lunches
Worked as a casual for 3 1/2 years
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW North Coast NSW13 June 2017
The part that keep me there was meeting the customers and their animals
Plus the lack of job opportunities in a regional town.
Higher level management treat you as just a number and not valued employees
Way too top heavy with all the people they have in management and they don't invest in the people that actually keep the customers coming back. Staff discounts are poor
Perbarn have just become like Woolworths andbthe other big band retailers
It's all about the $ and nothing else
There stock system is the biggest joke
The amount of excess stock they have sitting out in their store rooms is ridiculous
Pros
Meeting animals and helping peoole
Cons
As below
Terrible work life balance
Casual position - Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Casula NSW15 April 2017
Long hours, little benefits and opportunity to step up the ladder, no work life balance, little flexibility. However great team and good training preparation.
Pros
good team, work with animals
Cons
long hours, no work life balance, and everything else
Productive and happy place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Noarlunga Centre SA18 January 2018
Group of great people who are selfless and do anything to help and leave the customer happy! Work great as a team and very happy and go lucky! Very educated about their jobs and willing to help or give anything a crack!
Pros
Awesome team
Interesting and fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Nerang, QLD22 November 2014
- A typical day at work would include; cleaning out bird cages, cleaning out puppy cages, cleaning fish tanks, cleaning hermit crab tanks, serving customers and stocking shelves.
- I learned how to properly clean fish tanks and bird cages, how to work with animals and serve customers.
- The management as good and they were very well organised.
- My co-workers were lovely and were very helpful when I needed assistance.
- Cleaning everything, all of the shelves, bird cages, hermit crab tanks, fish tanks and puppy cages.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was working with animals as I love them.
Pros
Working with animals
Like working with your family
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds, VIC17 January 2016
Depending on what area I worked in,

grooming I would walk in check in all the dogs for the morning and then start washing and drying them ready to clip.

If I was on the floor, either walk in and start setting up if it was an open or come in and pick up from where some one who was leaving has left off.

My management and co workers were amazing and like my family, I regret leaving every single day.

The hardest part of my job would have to be the large dogs and the ones that walk all over you.
Pros
Like working with family
Cons
Cant be physically hard on your body
Outgoing staff, exellent to talk to and exellent range of products
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth SA1 December 2017
Petbarn is a good reliable pet shop, it provides everything you'll need for your animals, the staff are nice and able to provide information on any inquiries the customer may have.
productive work place.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Capalaba QLD27 March 2016
the people working there are easy to get along with.
the most enjoyable part it that you get to meet new people and there pets everyday.
you will learn about new products and become more familiar with information about a product.
the management is well sorted and organised.
Simple job requiring customer service skills
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Menai NSW7 September 2017
A relatively simple job, requiring good communication skills with other employees and the customers. The job consisted of a constant engagement with customers in order to make sales.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Not enough shifts due to budget cuts
good place to work
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW8 May 2016
busy but still good.have learnt a lot about the products the company sells. They have very good in house training. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers pets.
Pros
good advancement opportunities
Cons
short lunches
Wide range of pet supplies for most domestic animal types
Sales (Current Employee) –  Gladstone, QLD10 March 2015
Working for this company allows me to use my vet nursing knowledge. A typical day includes animal care (in store animals)customer service, housekeeping, computer work such as emails, scanning and data entry. The main co workers I work with on my shift make the day fun which in turn make it go faster. Its also important for workplace harmony if the co workers all get along. Hardest part of the job is the lower pay rate and not being able to work from home as my children do distance education schooling from home.
Pros
Staff discount as I have numerous animals. Have made new friends.
Cons
Low pay and not being at home with my children.
Customer Service
Ticketing, Planograms, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kangaroo Flat, VIC27 September 2015
Great environment to work in, enjoyed meeting new customers everyday, interacting with employees, hardest part of the job was the traveling as i traveled an hour one way each day and often drove home at night time.
Pros
Meeting customers
Cons
Travel was hard everyday as i lived an hour away from work.
Productive and a great learning opportunity
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cannon Hill QLD26 May 2016
I've worked here for the past 2 years and have loved learning all things needed for the pet industry, I've met some great people and to work with them. Being able to help customers with their needs for looking after the animals just brings joy to my life.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
nil
Petbarn
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frankston, VIC1 July 2015
Petbarn is a large fun company to work for.
Throughout my day I encounter many customers who entre the store, some knowing what they want, others needing help. the staff there are so friendly and cooperative and it is a perfect fun working environment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Unflexible around uni hours
Fun place to work at
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD29 January 2016
Interacting with customers and their pets on a daily basis was always fun. Great team work, fun environment to be involved with.
Cons
Always having to be made to work overtime.