Petbarn Employee Reviews

Dysfunctional grooming salon & unsupportive management
Senior Groomer (Former Employee) –  Lismore NSW30 May 2019
Booking in pets, getting owners to sign consent forms. What I learned, managers are out for themselves. Management do not understand emotional strain in running a salon on your own handling 50kg size dogs, matted dogs and trying to groom them whilst they are trying to bite you. When something goes wrong with customers due to their poor communication and disrespecting your workplace, you get a customer complaint-you are judged and told off before you have explained your side. When this happens to you you're frozen out by the other staff members. Companies with this type of culture don't care about you, they only care about the bottom line ($$$$)
With my good grooming work was able to get over 120 clients with the majority returning. I meet lovely clients that appreciated my grooms on their pets.
Pros
Cons
Don't give a hoot about the groomer just the bottom $$$
overall great company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD21 April 2019
typically a good company as any other would expect, customers are good to deal with, and HR is always there to give you a hand and help where they can.
Was only volunteer
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD1 April 2019
Can't say much as it wasn't a full job, just to get some work in, not paid or there for too long. I guess from the short time I was there, it was great.
Great customers but lousy management
Retail staff (Former Employee) –  Queensland8 March 2019
Upper level management care little for even the hardest working of employees, and nothing says that more than the amount of jobs piled on while alot of hours get cut. Employee discount is next to nothing.

A typical day includes tons of customer service, which is company policy to put first even though your manage expects you to get ten other jobs (usually away from the registers) done.

Tons of stuff to learn about customer service and animal care, except you're expected to do all your online training in your own time. There's probably around 100-150 hours of it all up.

Stock control is an absolute joke, with no flexibility to adjust amounts in orders, resulting in large excess amounts of unwanted goods and no way to order more stuff on sale until whoops the sale is over and customers missed out. Unreasonable demands such as unpaid staff meetings and working the late shifts the managers don't want to work is normal. Managers themselves all have to work 45 hour weeks with no way to take their owed time, so they're all stressed and taking it out on their team. Oh and they might loose their bonuses if they put too many staff on and go over budget, so guess how often a store is properly staffed.

Most of all it's very sad to see animal care sacrificed to try to make more time in the day. Petbarn are a typical large company who only care about profits not their team. Which is sad because there's alot of good customers, brands and services on offer, they could achieve so much more.
Pros
Great customers, interesting jobs.
Cons
Poor upper management
fun work place, and serious at the same time.
PART TIME, PET BARN (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD10 February 2019
When working at pet barn it was good space and I enjoyed every single moment working at pet barn. the customers and workers were really nice to me and I did the same back. I learned many things that can help me in the future such as keeping clean and tidy in every way and how to succeed to not be so nervous and just to be the nicest you can. the manager was very nice and determine to help me the best me I can be. it was very good working their and hardly any of the animals died because of the care I gave them. the hardest part of the job was really nothing is was all easy to me. I really enjoyed when we had fish deliveries and I could do every fish, and washing and feeding the livestock and making the place look very presentable to the customers.
Pros
the kindness of the people around and looking after the animals.
Cons
theres hardly nothing to do if you working for 9 hours a day.
Fast paced and Fun
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Wendouree VIC3 February 2019
Did placement experience here. Loved it. All the staff were friendly and happy to teach me all that was needed. They did all they could to make the customers needs and wants fulfilled
Positive and Fun Place to Work!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 January 2019
Hard work and a lot to know about the job and products but very friendly staff and customers, welcoming atmosphere. Great team-work mentality everyone helps out each other.
Pros
Pet orientated, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
Short lunch breaks, poor pay.
Good ware house experience good people
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW9 January 2019
Worked as a forklift operator to load/unload trucks also put aways and stacking pallets. Very repetitive work.Always saftey first while working always being aware of what's going on around me.
pleasent environment to work in, friendly staff
Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD7 January 2019
when working at petbarn, i was doing work experience. it was a nice environment, everyone was nice and gets along with each other. i was put to work on cleaning and stock replenishment and greeting customers.
Pros
got to check out products i would buy for my own pets
Cons
very hard work lifting the bags of dog buiscuts onto the shelves
Great Work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Capalaba QLD19 December 2018
Great work environment. Easy people to get along with. You get taught so much about all the products and the computer systems. you get to meet so many amazing people through customer service and of course their pets!!
Overall not worth it :/
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northern Territory2 November 2018
It is not very good pay, other than sundays and public holidays. They limit your shifts ALOT. Very busy and then incredibly boring for hours. Management is easy to negotiate with, but needs to hire more staff.

The teams are amazing, good people.

Rude customers.
Pros
30min lunches
Cons
long boring hours.
No career progression
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD30 October 2018
Work at pet barn if you are looking for 3 hours per week, if that and do not want career progression. Full-time and management roles are favourited by external hiring and no/limited company promotions.
Great if you like corporate
Sales Assistant/Storeman (Former Employee) –  Nerang QLD24 October 2018
Very slow paced days and because of this, there is only 2-3 staff on sometimes.

Overpriced goods, backstabbing staff are most likely around every corner.
Fun when you know what your doing
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmerston NT3 October 2018
bye this i mean when you have knowledge you can really talk and get to know customers this is especially good when they bring in puppies and you get to pet/hold while helping them
Productive workplace culture
Customer service agent (Former Employee) –  Perth WA11 September 2018
Routine day to day schedule.
Assisting customers have ongoing trading .
Hardest part death of aquarium life ,fish.
Most enjoyable meeting animals and their masters .teaching customers knowdge on care ,nutrition,health maintenance.
Pros
Fun training
Cons
Not good communication between managers and staff
Dont stay there for long.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 July 2018
A typical day includes a lot of face to face customer service and sales, cleaning up the store after customers, merching in new products and replenishing stock, maintaining aquariums, scooping out dead fish from the aquariums, chatting to people with varying levels of animal care knowledge about their pets, meeting customers dogs (or sometimes cat or bunny or rat!), doing water tests and convincing customers that they should wait for the toxic water levels to subside before introducing fish into their new aquarium while their 4 year old is screaming about how they were promised a fish right now.

There seem to be two different store manager styles at Petbarn. The manager that is on the floor working with their team for the majority of the day and the other which is your office manager who stays in the office for 80 per cent of the day and comes out an hour before closing or leaves early claiming to be sick every other week.

I have nothing to say about upper management or the team at head office that hasn't already been written about. Its mostly negative.

The hardest part of the job is when you get stuck with a store manager that doesn't care about their staff members at all and it shows. Dealing with customers who have no interest in learning about fish keeping but want fish anyway.

The most enjoyable part is developing relationships with local and loyal customers and their pets.

Un paid team meetings and training nights. Casuals get their hours cut on a whim. If they end up not liking you they will force you out by cutting your hours down and telling other
  more... mangers not to give you shifts at other stores, watched it happen many times.  less
Pros
meeting people and their dogs that come into the store.
Cons
I couldn't fit them all here, thats why I left.
Fun and engaging
Work Experience Student (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth SA19 July 2018
Fun and welcoming, friendly and bubbly staff that teach you and help you do your very best. Teach you how you can do things better and help you if you need it. Plus you get to see the dogs that come in for grooming.
Productive work place and very organised.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookvale NSW15 April 2018
I learnt how to stack the shelfs, use the cash register and eftpos and learnt a significant amount of how to show customer service.

Most enjoyable part of the job was looking at the animals entering the store.
Pros
Get to talk to the lovely customers entering the store with their pets.
Cons
Sometimes can be dirty due to the animals but overall a good environment.
Friendly place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 April 2018
Fun loving environment to work and learn about the pet industry.
With the business growing changes were put in place with a training provided to empower the team to grow with the business to give the customers excellent service and lots of love to their pets.
Learnt so much at petbarn, meeting new animals and people everyday, it was a fun place.
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD17 February 2018
Petbarn had some fantastic customers and was a great place to work, there was a a lot of different areas and you were always on the go which kept you busy in between customers, there was always something to do.
I loved the modules we had to complete as they taught you a lot about the products you were selling, having product knowledge and the basics for animals helped.
Pros
discount as i have lots of guinea pigs