Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre: 21 Employee Reviews

Australia21 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Fun place to work with a great team of people

Merging of duplicates records for patients. Investigating anomolies. I have learned more computer (in-house) skills since being there Management is considerate and caring towards all staff Hardest part of the job is not being able to verify information to correct an error Best part of the job is getting the answers you need to complete a task and correct the error

Pros

Social events with the team

Good culture

Management a little old fashioned but great facility, great resources and excellent colleagues filled with passion. Wages are standard, good PTO and benefits. Getting things dne can be slowed as issues always seem dogged by slow management who are slow to make decisions or change.

Pros

benefits and schemes and PTO

Cons

Slow managemnt

Fun worl place

Staff very friendly easy going ave to work beautifull h7ge building I cleaned wards offices theatre who ever I worked being a casual I find permanent staff we t e a always very helpfull if I was unsure I alwsusxliked to ask questions and learn staff always happy to help

Pros

I was casual

Cons

I was cadual

Came back for more

I left the pharmacy department at Peter Mac to pursue career opportunities at another victorian public hospital. It wasn't until I left that I realised how good I had at PM, they supported my growth and development and provided research training. I was well supported in new roles. A far cry from the sink or swim attitude I found myselg in at the new hospital. I ended up back at PM :)

Pros

Good culture, collegial staff, supportive managers

Cons

Competitive, limited senior positions

My mental health couldn’t take working here any longer

Whilst working in pharmacy is typically a thankless, stressful job this place takes the cake. Do not apply unless you never want to take any breaks, you’re okay with multiple breaches in the EBA (currently chasing up a significant sum in back pay with the union) and you can make your peace with relentless bullying that management/HR completely ignore. If you’re looking to join a supportive culture where management actually care about their staff/their safety and are invested in training them AVOID THIS PLACE. However, if you want to be stressed out and overworked until you finally burn yourself out - hope you don’t have any plans for weekends/public holidays/Xmas or Easter EVER - this is the place for you! ...and don’t even get me started on the hot mess that is payroll. Peter Mac can’t even get paying their staff right.

Pros

Pay is better than some public hospitals but good luck getting them to pay you as a grade 3 tech!

Cons

Workaholic culture, bullying, lack of training and support from management.

Loved the patients staff treated poorly

Loved working with patients they were amazing. Staff turn over is very high and staff are overworked, underpaid, and treated poorly by management because of budget cuts.

Loved working on the wards chatting with the patients bringing a mile to there face

Awesome place to work loved the old and new place very freindly staff and management I worked in all aspects from cleaning to doing my psa course through petermac to follow as a psa to the new building at parkville

worst work culture and very toxic place to work!

Worst hospital I ever worked! Lot of inexperienced workers are there joined the instituition from all over the world and trying to dominate as very well experienced employees.

Read the other nursing reviews - Strongly advise to avoid, particularity Day Therapy

Heavy work load. Miserable work place. Charge nurse is an unpleasant individual who does not care for her staff, just her targets and company image. Having managers in senior positions who were e.g bankers and not experienced nurses shows the kind of organisation this this, You have inexperienced nurses in charge telling nurses with 20+ years of experience how to do their job and not listening to clinical concerns about patient safety or satisfaction. Most senior staff who join from other hospitals quickly leave as they know their registration is at risk and they won't be listened to. CEO and Chief nurse just as bad. A disaster waiting to happen. Get new nurse managers!

Staff Member for 6 years

The staff at Peter MacCallum are those of people who really care about their jobs and show it daily in their roles in many different ways. It could be as simple as a smile or as complex as arranging an ambulance for an urgent transfer. During my time at Peter Mac I found everyone to be on the same page and thats why I never considered it to be work, it was just a wonderful place to be on a day to day basis. Having the ability to assist the many patients that entered the clinic on a daily basis gave me insight to so many different people and what they had to endure in their life. The staff at Peter Mac always did their very best for any of the patients that came in to the clinic, no matter how simple the appointment may have been or how very scary, the staff were always showing kindness and compassion. I would walk back in to Peter MacCallum any day of the week.

Family job

Peter Mac hires people who are related to each other, or who are husbands or wives or otherwise have a connection, which means that when you work there it feels like you are a part of an extended family. This is great in terms of getting along well with everyone but if you do find yourself on the outer then the bullying can be severe. Imagine working as a team of 15 with 14 of them being married couples and you are the only one who isn't, and then you get some level of understanding of the bullying. Nonetheless, for the most part there isn't much bullying - only for those pushed on the outside. There are also a few here who engage in very corrupt activities, but they are in the minority. You feel like you are doing a good thing here.

Pros

Family environment

Cons

When bullying happens, it is horrendous

Bad culture beautiful building

Bad workplace culture with bullying going unrecognised and unreported. Management claim to be supportive but are actully dismissive and in denial. Would not reccomened.

Pros

Beautiful building to work in

exciting yet always understaffed

exciting yet always understaffed, a challenge that will enthral some and scare others yet the patient are who we care about it is sometimes difficult when you have to care for someone long term and then loose them.

Pros

excellent location

Cons

reliant on P.T.

Leading cancer research hospital with good pay and benefits

A great institute to work for, however, like most big institutions, a lot of time can be lost to administrative issues. For the most part, the staff are great and the pay is higher than what is offered at other institutions, however, they preference offering contracts rather than permanent employment.

Pros

Salary packaging

Cons

Long hours, slow administrative processes

Clinical and research staff do an amazing job

Since commencing in 1988 I have seen amazing advances in the treatment of cancer patients and the advances in research which has places Peter Mac at the forefront of oncology treatment in the world. No two days were the same in my role as Manager Security and General Services. The culture amongst clinical staff is one of caring and empathy towards the patients and their relatives. The hardest part of the job was to see children struck down with cancer. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with people, staff, patients and visitors. I was able to suggest and make improvements in the field of security, cleaning and patient accommodation.

Pros

Autonomy

Cons

government red tape

Attitude

Great place to work and really friendly environment. Fantastic learning environment and very helpful in terms of personal growth.

once in a lifetime opportunity

multidisciplinary approach in the management of complex cutaneous malignancies dedicated team of dermatologists rendering the best care to complex dermatology cases as a tertiary referral center delivering world class service to patients from all social stratas

Fun and engaging work experience

Fun work place with supportive management. My role was very diverse, so I had a lot of experience working in different field and working with a range of different people.

Great place to work with may learning opportunities

A day at Petermac for me consists of dealing with many costumer issues over a broad range of IT systems. Management are able to leave me and my co-workers to our day to day duties with confidence. The work environment and co-workers I find to be busy, but relaxed which I believe helps with productivity. The most difficult part of my job is the lack of staff, but I enjoy coming to work, because of the good work culture and environment.

Pros

Opportunity to learn a many IT systems

Cons

Understaffed and low pay.

Productive and enjoyable place to work

I have gained many skills over the years and have always been provided with support and further opportunities,

A great place to work at,culturally diverse ,ecellence valued

Receive handover,check the charts to see if previous nurse has completed everything, receive bedside handover including the patient.Observe patient and work area. I learnt ecellence in nursing care, respect for the patient

Pros

5 week holiday /year

Cons

heavy work at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre Reviews by Location

• Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?