Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre Employee Reviews

Staff Member for 6 years
P.A. for 7 medical oncologists (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 January 2019
The staff at Peter MacCallum are those of people who really care about their jobs and show it daily in their roles in many different ways. It could be as simple as a smile or as complex as arranging an ambulance for an urgent transfer.
During my time at Peter Mac I found everyone to be on the same page and thats why I never considered it to be work, it was just a wonderful place to be on a day to day basis.
Having the ability to assist the many patients that entered the clinic on a daily basis gave me insight to so many different people and what they had to endure in their life.
The staff at Peter Mac always did their very best for any of the patients that came in to the clinic, no matter how simple the appointment may have been or how very scary, the staff were always showing kindness and compassion.
I would walk back in to Peter MacCallum any day of the week.
Family job
Ward Secretary (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 November 2018
Peter Mac hires people who are related to each other, or who are husbands or wives or otherwise have a connection, which means that when you work there it feels like you are a part of an extended family. This is great in terms of getting along well with everyone but if you do find yourself on the outer then the bullying can be severe. Imagine working as a team of 15 with 14 of them being married couples and you are the only one who isn't, and then you get some level of understanding of the bullying. Nonetheless, for the most part there isn't much bullying - only for those pushed on the outside. There are also a few here who engage in very corrupt activities, but they are in the minority. You feel like you are doing a good thing here.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
When bullying happens, it is horrendous
Bad culture beautiful building
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 October 2018
Bad workplace culture with bullying going unrecognised and unreported. Management claim to be supportive but are actully dismissive and in denial. Would not reccomened.
Pros
Beautiful building to work in
exciting yet always understaffed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Parkville VIC2 May 2018
exciting yet always understaffed, a challenge that will enthral some and scare others yet the patient are who we care about it is sometimes difficult when you have to care for someone long term and then loose them.
Pros
excellent location
Cons
reliant on P.T.
Leading cancer research hospital with good pay and benefits
Clinical epigenetics research officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 October 2017
A great institute to work for, however, like most big institutions, a lot of time can be lost to administrative issues. For the most part, the staff are great and the pay is higher than what is offered at other institutions, however, they preference offering contracts rather than permanent employment.
Pros
Salary packaging
Cons
Long hours, slow administrative processes
Clinical and research staff do an amazing job
Manager Security (Former Employee) –  St Andrews Place East Melbourne2 March 2017
Since commencing in 1988 I have seen amazing advances in the treatment of cancer patients and the advances in research which has places Peter Mac at the forefront of oncology treatment in the world.

No two days were the same in my role as Manager Security and General Services.

The culture amongst clinical staff is one of caring and empathy towards the patients and their relatives.

The hardest part of the job was to see children struck down with cancer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with people, staff, patients and visitors. I was able to suggest and make improvements in the field of security, cleaning and patient accommodation.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
government red tape
Attitude
Nine month Pastoral care intern (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 May 2016
Great place to work and really friendly environment. Fantastic learning environment and very helpful in terms of personal growth.
once in a lifetime opportunity
Honorary Dermatologist, Division of Cancer Surgery (Former Employee) –  East Melbourne, VIC7 November 2015
multidisciplinary approach in the management of complex cutaneous malignancies
dedicated team of dermatologists rendering the best care to complex dermatology cases as a tertiary referral center delivering world class service to patients from all social stratas
Fun and engaging work experience
Bursary Student and Trainee Scientist (Former Employee) –  East Melbourne26 July 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
My role was very diverse, so I had a lot of experience working in different field and working with a range of different people.
Great place to work with may learning opportunities
Service desk analyst (Current Employee) –  East Melbourne, VIC25 January 2015
A day at Petermac for me consists of dealing with many costumer issues over a broad range of IT systems. Management are able to leave me and my co-workers to our day to day duties with confidence. The work environment and co-workers I find to be busy, but relaxed which I believe helps with productivity. The most difficult part of my job is the lack of staff, but I enjoy coming to work, because of the good work culture and environment.
Pros
Opportunity to learn a many IT systems
Cons
Understaffed and low pay.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Cell Culture Technician (Current Employee) –  Melbourne14 October 2012
I have gained many skills over the years and have always been provided with support and further opportunities,
A great place to work at,culturally diverse ,ecellence valued
Surgical nurse (Current Employee) –  East Melbourne Campus9 September 2012
Receive handover,check the charts to see if previous nurse has completed everything, receive bedside handover including the patient.Observe patient and work area. I learnt ecellence in nursing care, respect for the patient
Pros
5 week holiday /year
Cons
heavy work at times