PETstock Employee Reviews

Great at lying about career development
Storeman (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD2 September 2018
Busted my hump for 5 years with empty promises of promotion and advancement, constantly used and abused by management. Always treated poorly and spoken down too. Yet expected to pick up everybody else's slack. Physically and verbally assaulted.
Pros
Getting fired
Cons
Not doing it sooner
somewhat supportive but very unfair
Fish Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Allenby Gardens SA31 July 2018
Being able to educate customers on the best product for their pet and the reason why was nice, The friendships made with customers and some staff was amazing. But it's hard to keep a positive outlook when favouritism plays a huge part in Petstock. Certain staff being able to do nothing and push the blame onto anyone they don't count as best friends. The poor management that doesn't help you grow in the workplace and the negative attitude whenever they approach you.
Pros
Pets coming in store, staff discount
Cons
bad management and toxic workplace.
Depressing excuse for a "family environment"
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 June 2018
Working for PETstock had to be the most miserable experience of my entire career. It started off lovely and honest but it didn't take long before the true company colours started to show. My first job working in the animal industry and has totally put me off. Staff are treated like pigs. The long working hours are pathetic. The worst part was the total neglect for employees wellbeing and mental health. Pay rate is decent but not enough for what me and coworkers put up with. Managers steal stock right in front of us. Money from the registers and safe vanish. I DO NOT recommend this job for anyone young and wanting a career. It will ruin your life. It is not worth it. Do yourself a favour and stay away.
Pros
Easy to get a job
Cons
Everthing as soon as you step in the door
productive friendly work place with fluffy animals to look after
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW4 May 2018
productive work place with a very friendly atmosphere, lots of customers and people walking everywhere in a pet friendly environment. looking after in store pets is a massive plus! there just so cute. The hardest part of the job is to be bringing in stock and packing it away and the rest is getting to know your customers and their pet families to give them more of an insight into the required food, toys and housing for each individual pet.
Pros
you get taught about your pets needs
Cons
no cons at all in Petstock
Fun and safe environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Joondalup WA20 December 2017
All employees are friendly and accepting! This crew is more like a family instead of just colleagues! Possibly the best company someone could work for.
Pros
Great management and team
Cons
Short hours
Not too bad
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albion Park NSW22 November 2017
Job was ok, however too many online tests were required and if you are at uni full time, this could be overwhelming and unrealistic. Management rarely provided constructive feedback.
Pros
See a lot of animals
Cons
Minimal benefits, poor management communication
Loving work here
lots (Current Employee) –  Virginia QLD7 September 2017
Had the best of time working here through the salary is not that good but it helps and i do not do this for money but for love of pets in need to carter for i had a great time at pet stock this past 2 years but have to look for better stander ed of live so as to take care of my beautiful girl
Pros
free tips
Cons
long hears
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lilydale VIC15 August 2017
I have learnt many things working at petstock and I do enjoy working there. If only there was more opportunities to become full time or at least part time.
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
not enough hours
Staff have no idea, no experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Adelaide SA9 January 2017
Assistant Manager was blunt and rude. Will be going elsewhere to purchase my pet products !!! Staff are treated unfairly.
Excellent staff
Trainee Vet Nurse (Former Employee) –  Altona North VIC7 December 2016
Excellent staff very fast and on point. Fresh water and food for animals Enjoyed working with them 🙂 Not to expensive.
Hardest part was watching some animals being put down 😔 But other then that it was fantastic and the manager was so kind.
Fun and friendly :)
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warners Bay NSW20 July 2016
The staff here all all very god friends, you are allowed to pat and play with as many puppies as you wish and they have a live in cat!!
Training could be a little bit more extensive and room for advancement is minimal, however, good management make the job well worth it :)
Pros
Animals to play with
Cons
having to clean up waste and also meat handling
Fun Place to work
Assaitant (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC18 March 2016
i learned how to construct dog kennels and assisted with stock
the workers were fun to work with except when the were having a bad day
good and polite workplace
customer service (Current Employee) –  Pakenham, VIC10 December 2015
a typical day at work would be cleaning around the store, a face up, puppy school, and stocking. I learned about how to maintain fish tanks and how to teach dogs basic skills
My co workers were lovely and polite.
The hardest part of the job was nothing really.
The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching and being around the dogs.
fun work place
2IC/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  albion park14 June 2015
They are a good company to work for. There staff are well trained and have very good on the job training. I worked for petstock for 10 years. I started there a a junior and worked myself into a 2ic position. They are a very switched on company and now have over 100 stores in Australia.
Petstock
Fish Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prospect, SA22 March 2015
A wonderful Aquarium setup which was great to work with but could be a bit full on at times. Lots of friendly customer came through that soon made regular trips to see me for some knowledge.
Very fun and productive
2IC Retail (Former Employee) –  Echuca, VIC9 January 2014
everyday at PETstock was fun and eventful, I would say its the best place to work.
A happy, fun environment to work in.
Manager (Current Employee) –  sydney7 July 2013
I love my job , the people I work with and the customers.
I am really looking to move to weekday work only as my work life balance is out. I have been working weekends for the past 20years now and it is quite stressful having to swap weekends all the time for family events, weddings and being with my partner.
Pros
A happy, fun loving environment
Cons
working weekends
Fun, Interested in the animal field, Get to work with animals and talk to people with an interest in animals
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoppers Crossing Melbourne28 January 2013
PETstock was by far my most favourite position of my working history, the only reason for leaving was i became a mother and wanted to stay home for a while before returning to work. I would love to work back here however i have been told that there was no real chance for progression within this store as new management was very stable.
A typical day for me would be to open the store located in Hoppers Crossing sometimes by myself, i would then get all the things ready before opening such as stocking cash registers making sure the store looked neat and tidy. I would then usually be in charge of daily store operations including rosters, ordering stock, meeting with reps, dealing with customer complaints etc.
Co-workers were great but i felt a little animosity toward me due to the fact that i jumped very quickly through the ranks and became a senior member of staff within months.
The hardest part of the job was the physical side, sometimes emptying up to 10 pellets of dog food, hay, etc which could be in excess weight of 15kg each bag..i must admit i did enjoy this part as my fitness improved dramatically.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my customers on a personal level and being able to help them with their pets health and well being.
Pros
meeting great people, being able to talk about what i love everyday, being given such great responsibility in such a short time and knowing i did a great job
Cons
sometimes long hours and long weeks with working 10 - 14 days straight on a few occasions.
Great working Enviroment
Sales Assistant/Shift Supervisor/ Day Manager (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA5 September 2012
A typical work day is usually pretty busy lots of customers heaps of stock being proccesed and displayed. I learned alot about animals and i got a great deal of knowledge on being a senior staff member. Management was good excellent co-workers great team work. Hardest part of the job was processing credit claims not joking. The most enjoyable was great co-workers excellent enviroment hard work.
Pros
great incentives