PETstock
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

PETstock Employee Reviews

Australia35 reviews
Great work environment. I worked with an awesome team who made me feel part of a group and helped me when ever needed. I learnt so much about fish, dogs and cats, birds and many more. I was given a great amount of hours which I appreciated. A typical day was serving customers, learning different products, restocking shelves and feeding animals and cleaning their cages and tanks.
To begin with I did find lifting heavy dog food bags challenging and tiring, but the more I did it the easier it became.
Pros
Cheaper or Free animals products
I would never recommend anyone to work in Petstock's head office. Rather work in their stores.
Too much favouritism. Toxic environment.

The management is not helpful at all.
Pros
Nothing. May be office location.
Cons
Long hours, No work life balance, Favour-ism, Toxic culture
Upper management and HR do absolutely nothing to investigate and deal with bullying, harassment and threats by store managers. In my time with PETstock a manager was allowed to defame my character, verbally abuse myself, other staff and even on instances customers, with even an instance of stock physically being thrown. The manager did everything possible to remove me from my position due to personal conflict and dislike which can be solidified by the manager saying within their first week "maybe if i make your life h*ll you'll work harder" (which professional adult says such a veiled threat??), as well as being threatened with warnings for speaking too long with customers or asking other staff how they've been going (because why would we treat employees as actual people and not robots that move stock?)

Concerns were raised with upper management but nothing was actioned except suggesting a conversation which I tried multiple times but how can you have a conversation with someone who either screams at you or doesn't even make an attempt to communicate. Unfortunately after having my reputation damaged, being screamed at, told I cannot do my job, having my manager duties removed so I was nothing but a casual being paid $6 less, being berated and threatened with being fired I was forced to quit to protect my own health, which HR were aware about as I detailed all of it to them. Ironically, the job ad promotes taking care of staff’s mental health and yet nothing was done to protect mine from abusive and manipulative behaviour

The company as a whole is awesome, their vision
 - more...
Pros
Easy system. simple back office. get to bring pets to work
Cons
Horrible management who does not care about staff
Please dont work here, i worked at a couple of their stores to fill for people and most of them are all the same. 10hr+ shifts with only 30min break, and shorter shifts dont have breaks at all. Management was terrible and knew that they weren’t giving staff breaks even when they were tired from stocking bags of dog food and vary other stock. KPIs were very important to them, so even when days were dead they would still push you to make sales.
I worked with this company 2 times, the first time as a full-time sales associate who after working with them for a few months realized the work culture is actually very snide and exclusive. Favorite co workers were given lighter tasks, better rosters and better treatment. A lot of favoritism going on from a place that has "high values".

The second time, I was a casual for a different store, thinking maybe this would be different but it was more or less the same experience, many years later! The manager was two faced, gave her preferred friends (employees) shifts over the co workers who are more knowledgeable and skilled in the pet care field. The support team is also rude, passive aggressive and not in any way in keeping with the values they like to pretend they have for public face. Do not work here unless you wanted to be treated unfairly, undervalued and unappreciated. There are much better pet stores to work at - without the B.S
Such an amazing company to work for, great environment, potential to grow.
It is by far the funnest job I have ever had. You are always supported by your team and customers are usually fantastic
Such an amazing place to work
I always felt apart of the family and made some amazing friendships

Always explaining of knowledge and all staff members are willing to help each other

Monthly training modules and also every new product had training to help you with product knowledge
Was very happy working at Petstock until recently. The management is terrible. No job security or loyalty at this company. If u are older then 25yrs this company doesn't want older experienced staff as it cost to much. They prefer young staff with no idea.
Was always promised career advancement and training but it never happened. I quadrupled sales in the salon and trained staff for 3 stores for free. As soon as I injured my back at work, they cut my hours right back and basically wiped their hands of me
Pros
Mostly great team, working with animals
Cons
no career advancement, don't appreciate your efforts, low pay
Management has absolutely no care about staff's health or welfare. They put up posters about mental health awareness and organise staff meetings with speakers about mental health but when a staff member talks to management about how the way herself and other staff are being treated is effecting her mental health she is told it's just her mindset and she needs to change that. When a staff member feels they are being treated unfairly by another staff member and talks to management about it they are told to toughen up and get over it. And when a staff member has a panic attack at work because of how their manager is treating them which leaves them crying on the staff room floor the manager just goes and whines to another staff member about how they are so sick of the staffs "bad attitudes". I know of at least 5 people I have worked with who have been advised by their doctors or physiologists to leave the company because of how negatively it has effected their health, simply because the company doesn't care about their staff.
And if you think it will be a great place to work if you love animals, you'd be wrong. Myself and other staff members were told we cared too much about the animals and animal welfare!
it was good for a year i made mistakes they taught me how to fix them i did my best but budget cuts had me fired i dont blame them but that is capitalism for you.
Pros
good staff
Cons
I worked here for a week as work experience and really enjoyed it. I got to feed and play with animals and also talk and make conversation with employees and customers
I quit today after 18 months on the job. Working with children for managers and with no recognition. Ive worked retail for longer than some of these "managers" have been alive. I was used, lied to and promised advancement. At the time of leaving i was on 3 hours per week ($75 pw 39yo Homeowner). I tried to speak to management and the only option is a self entitled queen that pretends to care. Too much condescension and patronisation flying at me to keep myself composed. Rubbish.
Pros
Not permanent.
Cons
Family business non existant. animals neglected. Hard work left for casuals. Double standards.
I loved working at PETstock , the animals and the knowledge that i have come away with is amazing. If you are into learning about furry friends and also meeting alot of them while at your job then PETstock is the place for you! You also have other avenues you can go down with this company like grooming, puppy school etc LOVE IT!!!
I have only been working for PETstock for about 6 weeks as a Christmas casual and so far I am so in love with it. You get to play with pets all day long while working, my team is amazing and have been so helpful to me while I’m still learning. I am quite lucky to have got this job and I appreciate it daily. I have nothing negative so far to say about this company. 100% would recommend joining the PETstock family.
Pros
Great management, great team and fantastic job overall!
Cons
Nothing at all.
2iC is a bully and plays everyone against each other. Other staff are great customers are so nice workplace good products and good wage but the stress from the bully 2ic makes the place horrible
Pros
great customers
Cons
2ic needs a reality check
Busted my hump for 5 years with empty promises of promotion and advancement, constantly used and abused by management. Always treated poorly and spoken down too. Yet expected to pick up everybody else's slack. Physically and verbally assaulted.
Pros
Getting fired
Cons
Not doing it sooner
Being able to educate customers on the best product for their pet and the reason why was nice, The friendships made with customers and some staff was amazing. But it's hard to keep a positive outlook when favouritism plays a huge part in Petstock. Certain staff being able to do nothing and push the blame onto anyone they don't count as best friends. The poor management that doesn't help you grow in the workplace and the negative attitude whenever they approach you.
Pros
Pets coming in store, staff discount
Cons
bad management and toxic workplace.
Working for PETstock had to be the most miserable experience of my entire career. It started off lovely and honest but it didn't take long before the true company colours started to show. My first job working in the animal industry and has totally put me off. Staff are treated like pigs. The long working hours are pathetic. The worst part was the total neglect for employees wellbeing and mental health. Pay rate is decent but not enough for what me and coworkers put up with. Managers steal stock right in front of us. Money from the registers and safe vanish. I DO NOT recommend this job for anyone young and wanting a career. It will ruin your life. It is not worth it. Do yourself a favour and stay away.
Pros
Easy to get a job
Cons
Everthing as soon as you step in the door
productive work place with a very friendly atmosphere, lots of customers and people walking everywhere in a pet friendly environment. looking after in store pets is a massive plus! there just so cute. The hardest part of the job is to be bringing in stock and packing it away and the rest is getting to know your customers and their pet families to give them more of an insight into the required food, toys and housing for each individual pet.
Pros
you get taught about your pets needs
Cons
no cons at all in Petstock
All employees are friendly and accepting! This crew is more like a family instead of just colleagues! Possibly the best company someone could work for.
Pros
Great management and team
Cons
Short hours