PETstock

PETstock Employee Reviews

Australia52 reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Fun workplace but sadly upper management sucks

Petstock would be a fantastic place to work if upper management actually listened to the people that keep their dollars flowing… the floor staff. The sad reality about this company is that there is no chance of getting anywhere career wise. Broken promises, and going round in circles trying to upskill are a waste of time here. You give it your all, but receive nothing. Great casual job but don’t expect to get anywhere. Definitely not the family company they say they are.

Poor work environment, poor management and lack of staff appreciation.

After the initial interview I was over the moon and extremely excited about beginning work with PETstock, with them guaranteeing training opportunities, a good amount of shifts (as a causal), and a supportive team with a good amount of staff appreciation.The first 1-3 months of work were good, with good communication through the team, a few small training opportunities and a good feeling of team support and teamwork, after that a new 'Management' team was hired. It feels as though the upper management did not do research or correct interviewing for the management team and made some big mistakes. The staff are underappreciated, whether they go above and beyond with their work or just do the bare minimum there is no level of appreciation or communication, the level of "Bi***ing" or spiteful/narky things being said by management to other retail staff is absolutely appalling. Not to mention the dismissive attitude of the management when attempting to discuss concerns with them. The unfair/unequal shift distribution between casual staff is something that has never been great with PETstock and it does not seem to be changing, even with lots of communication from staff about the concerns.Very disappointing out-come of what was initially an exciting job opportunity.

Pros

Staff discount, food at monthly staff meetings.

Cons

Minimal shift opportunities, lack of staff appreciation, appalling amount of "bi***ing" between staff and management, lack of training opportunities and lack of management involvement with staff.

PETstock insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility

Poor Management and poor team environment

Don’t give you any proper training, expect you to know things you’ve never been told. Management never actually listen, upper management don’t care about clients/patients. Only listen to one side when issues are brought up, never look at the bigger picture even when animals lives are at risk. Horrible team environment, allows some staff to break and bend rules but very strict on others. Drug and alcohol testing should be required for all vet staff.

Pros

Good store discount

Cons

Everything else

Work placement

I am doing work placement. I been having health issues while doing placement and they have been understanding and have help me make work placement possible for me

Good place most of the time, upper management kinda sucks though

Coworkers and store managers were (mostly) pretty nice, but upper management sucked at dealing with bullying and conflict. Highlight was definitely working with the animals

Pros

freebies, animals

Cons

terrible communication

Hard work goes unnoticed.

Petstock only care about management and upper management. Minimum wage for very hard work. Turn away employees that injure themselves at work. Overlook hard workers that have been there for years.

Culture from senior management is a real issue in this company

Staff turnover is huge, they can't keep employee's anywhere. Stores are extremely short staffed, but no effort made to change the rotting culture. It all comes from Head Office, they continue to put more and more work load on staff with no reward or increase in store wages. They took away bonuses while covid was on as stores were 30% up in sales. The Support Team are a joke! They are not there to support the stores, they are just there to tick boxes. All negative feedback gets pushed back onto store managers even if it's directed at senior management.

Memorable first employment

Working at this company for my first job has left a taste for more, I often think of those days. From the friendly and cheerful staff to the happy customers. The duties are great n the job doesn’t feel like chore!

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Not to many job openings

Love the people they were wonderful staff to work for. So happy to have been with them

I gained so much experience from working with them. The staff were great and not long afterwards I got to be promoted to train others. Great communication skills and filling out customers orders through out Australia.

Pros

The pros are I was one of the 1st people there to help get the business getting established

Cons

9 hour shift

Worked there for 4 years and it was the best 4 years of my life. Everyone was a family and it made working there effortless. I recommend working at petstock for sure 😁

Fun group of team members but sometimes understaffed and low pay

Not a job that you’d like to be at for longer than a year. Not many opportunities. Low pay & not appreciated for your hard work. Good place to make new friends, somewhat easy going with time off. If the store has doggy daycare you can bring your dog to work. Managers are pretty unprofessional and head office is so slow at getting back to you.

Pros

- Nice group of coworkers - Discount/Freebies - Can bring dog to work if you have doggy daycare

Cons

- Low pay - Overwhelming amount of hours or not enough, no in between - A lot of gossiping & favourites

Worked here for a while and regret leaving

This was without a doubt my favourite job, every single member of staff was beyond nice and would teach you everything you needed to know. I never felt stressed out, I guess being around animals all day does that. The pay was fair and you never really deal with bad customers because they are all pet lovers.

Pros

Job security, good management, brand reps come to teach you hands on.

Great, fun workplace.

Its a great workplace but some higher-up managers are difficult to deal with. Store-level staff and managers are easy to get along with, and the environment is generally really supportive and fun. Obviously the biggest benefit is the animals!

Pros

The animals

Cons

Managers move around a lot

Great experience

Customers and pets/dogs come first! Highly encouraged to go out of your way to help customers which is great. Management very understanding of busy periods and that some tasks have to wait. Learned a lot and feel that they're good at not just hiring people who have similar experience so everyone gets a chance.

Pros

Dogs, Team work, Training nights include free food

Cons

Demanding customers, occasionally low staff

Terrible place to work

I was trained to follow people around the store and basically harass them into buying items. They treated me like a child and managers were rude and had attitude. The ‘experts’ on fish had little to none and when i called with concern about an axolotl that looked very unwell, they didn’t care too much and the poor thing died. Products are way overpriced too. Hated my time working for Petstock.

Fair work commissions delight.

This company is only interested in selling over priced merchandise to the consumer, at the expense of employees health and wellbeing. Far too many shortcuts are taken in terms of health and safety, and employees are thrown head first into work without even being given the chance to complete the required safety modules. The companies vision and values are what attracted me to apply for the job. In reality, it’s just a low paying retail job, with poor management and poor career advancement. Don’t waste your time.

Pros

Staff discount. Interaction with customers and their dogs.

Cons

Poorly managed, low pay rates, lack of any proper training, run by kids.

An absolute joke of a company

This company has been a joke from the day I started. Terrible communication from head office, they are so out of touch with how things actually work in a Vet clinic or retail store. When they do come in to visit they act like they should be treated like royalty. No recognition for any of our hard work, but complaints as soon as something went wrong. I have rarely ever sat down for my half hour lunch break for which I am unpaid for. Head office and HR pick and choose which things they’re going to take seriously. They have ignored serious complaints from myself but have but have followed up on complaints from individuals who are known trouble makers. Head office staff gossip and share personal details amongst one another. Another piece of advice would be to NEVER work for a Vet clinic which is attached to a retail store that is owned by the manager. This literally means they can do and say whatever they want including bullying and harassing their workers, but they never face consequences for their actions. For a family run business it’s a disgrace.

Pros

Some staff are great to work with

Cons

Head office, pay, rude managers

Toxic!

I would never recommend anyone to work in Petstock's head office. Rather work in their stores. Too much favouritism. Toxic environment. The management is not helpful at all.

Pros

Nothing. May be office location.

Cons

Long hours, No work life balance, Favour-ism, Toxic culture

Hurtful, Harmful, Toxic

Upper management and HR do absolutely nothing to investigate and deal with bullying, harassment and threats by store managers. In my time with PETstock a manager was allowed to defame my character, verbally abuse myself, other staff and even on instances customers, with even an instance of stock physically being thrown. The manager did everything possible to remove me from my position due to personal conflict and dislike which can be solidified by the manager saying within their first week "maybe if i make your life h*ll you'll work harder" (which professional adult says such a veiled threat??), as well as being threatened with warnings for speaking too long with customers or asking other staff how they've been going (because why would we treat employees as actual people and not robots that move stock?) Concerns were raised with upper management but nothing was actioned except suggesting a conversation which I tried multiple times but how can you have a conversation with someone who either screams at you or doesn't even make an attempt to communicate. Unfortunately after having my reputation damaged, being screamed at, told I cannot do my job, having my manager duties removed so I was nothing but a casual being paid $6 less, being berated and threatened with being fired I was forced to quit to protect my own health, which HR were aware about as I detailed all of it to them. Ironically, the job ad promotes taking care of staff’s mental health and yet nothing was done to protect mine from abusive and manipulative behaviour The company as a whole is awesome, their vision -

Pros

Easy system. simple back office. get to bring pets to work

Cons

Horrible management who does not care about staff

Terrible company

Please dont work here, i worked at a couple of their stores to fill for people and most of them are all the same. 10hr+ shifts with only 30min break, and shorter shifts dont have breaks at all. Management was terrible and knew that they weren’t giving staff breaks even when they were tired from stocking bags of dog food and vary other stock. KPIs were very important to them, so even when days were dead they would still push you to make sales.

Worked with this company twice, both times were a major disappointment.

I worked with this company 2 times, the first time as a full-time sales associate who after working with them for a few months realized the work culture is actually very snide and exclusive. Favorite co workers were given lighter tasks, better rosters and better treatment. A lot of favoritism going on from a place that has "high values". The second time, I was a casual for a different store, thinking maybe this would be different but it was more or less the same experience, many years later! The manager was two faced, gave her preferred friends (employees) shifts over the co workers who are more knowledgeable and skilled in the pet care field. The support team is also rude, passive aggressive and not in any way in keeping with the values they like to pretend they have for public face. Do not work here unless you wanted to be treated unfairly, undervalued and unappreciated. There are much better pet stores to work at - without the B.S

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PETstock. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare PETstock with

Learn about PETstock in popular locations

• PETstock