Platypus Shoes

48: Platypus Shoes Employee Reviews

Australia48 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

High stress environment with hostile competitive sales techniques.

This was a place that i learnt the most in to this day. I learnt how culture can sometimes overtake work place mental health. I didn't enjoy it and found that it was more focused on being the right kind of sales vulture opposed to hard-working ethical people. This took a toll on me but i did learn a lot about inventory management which i am grateful for.

If you are willing to take on constructive criticism, and willing to learn new skills to further your retail career. This is the job for you.

I was hired as an Assistant Manager in November 2019, the first few months were full on. I came in right as it was about to hit Christmas, so it was a sink or swim situation. I had an amazing manager, amazing area manager and amazing state manager. They really pushed me to just keep improving and not settling for benchmark, and it was either going to make or break me. I’m so thankful for them pushing me, because it broke me out of a retail rut I had found myself in after 12 years being in the industry. My area and state manager taught me so many aspects of retail that I never even thought about. How to see things differently whether it be VM, staff, or sales. I always felt so supported and could pick up the phone and just chat if I needed it. Fast forward to mid/late 2021 I was promoted to store manager after my manager left. They promoted me even though I was pregnant, knowing that I wouldn’t be in the position long nor would I physically be able to do tasks as quickly as I used to. I had to start my maternity leave early due to pregnancy issues. I have felt nothing but love, support and encouragement from all of my management team and Head office services. Throughout my entire pregnancy I cannot express the gratitude and kindness I have been shown by everyone. If you are willing to put in the hard yards this company will take you far & keep your best interests at heart.

Pros

Great team discount, team work environment, organised, very structured and straight forward job.

Cons

Can be full on at times

Cool job ruined by awful management.

B*tchy immature and incompetent management ruin what would otherwise be a nice job. The environment has so much potential to be a fun workplace, but the way management carries on and treats their staff, I wouldn't bother applying if you have any self-respect.

Horrible Management

I got hired as an ASM and they literally never trained me. Decided to ask for some and they complained I didn’t pick it up quickly enough and just palmed me off to another store to train- where the manager there was the rudest bat I’ve ever met; absolutely didn’t train me at all and picked up on the SMALLEST mistakes that weren’t my fault and never gave me praise for having the highest KPIS. B*tchy upper management and area leader and it seemed like they hated all their staff.

Pros

Casuals were nice

Cons

Kpis, area managers, store managers, workplace structure

Professional and hip place to work in.

Great place to learn sale skills and how to sell a product to customers, teaches you how to fit in to its workplace and that is a great skill to take into any other business.

lol would not recommend!!!

Worked at platypus for just over 3 years, I know so surprised I lasted that long.. the reason why I did stay that long was because of the team! I started off as a casual and then became the full-timer. For a casual, your job is not as stressful but being a part of the management team is absolutely ridiculous. - The expectations they have, are shocking. - They do not listen to you and your store's needs. - You constantly get phone calls daily from area manager complaining because your store is not achieving and if you do hit target, you barely get praised. - Have stupidly high UPT expectations - If you are having a slow day and theres not much foot traffic in the shopping centre they do not care and will ask you what you're going to do differently to get people in store.. (most frustrating thing when theres nothing you can do because the centres dead ) Over all such a negative place to work. I left this job to focus on my mental health and happy to say id never to back. Two good things I have to say is the team I worked with I consider really close friends now and the discount is 40%.

Fun and upbeat

Fast paced yet so fun, loved working with shoes and a good work vibe. I got to play music in store which is awesome and I learnt how to incorporate my own individuality into my work ethic

Collaborative and Fun

Great to experience a collaborative atmosphere, with a good competitive nature. Learning how to work amongst different personalities and also how to service those differences too.

Fun and productiveplace to work at with platypus

Great product knowledge and training towards customer service, it was a fun and vibrant place to work in with great staff and management who considered employees wants and needs.

Fun and cool environment to be at.

A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with their footwear needs and helping them through the purchasing process. Through this job, I was able to develop my sales skills by following the management's instructions to upsell whenever possible. The workplace culture was friendly and encouraging to always try to achieve more. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting individuals in finding something appropriate for them and solving their footwear concerns/problems.

good place not good management

productive workplace helps with learning customer service although the staff isn't as friendly as youd like, overall good place to work, I learned alot from platypus

Friendly atmosphere and great place to work

Loved working there. Customers were always friendly and loved giving them my opinion if they ever asked. Staff were friendly and wonderful to work for.

fun workplace

a typical day at work would be arriving and jumping on the floor straight away to help customers find what they were after. I learnt how to be a productive sales team member.

Creative and fun with live DJs playing in store:

I really enjoyed working for Platyus because of the great culture between fashion and customers was amazing. The management was mostly good for the most part but could have been a little better in my opinion. The fact live DJ's played in our Pacific Fair store was amazing !

Pros

Good Staff Discounts

Cons

Some Managers

good casual job, enjoy the comission

It's a very competitive environment and is highly sales focused, to a fault to be honest. But outside of its sell at all costs mentality its an enjoyable place to work the pay is standard but is boosted by commission putting it above most retail jobs. there is also a 40% discount of the rrp for staff which is a mediocre discount seeing as normal sales are frequently better than the staff discount.

Pros

above average pay (when comission is counted), ok staff discount

Cons

aggressively sales focused where it can ruin the team atmosphere

Very unwelcoming and not a fun place to work

Very disappointed to see the disgustingly poor management skills in store. I have found this company to be very dog eat dog, not caring about staff and even stealing sales to boost their own stats. Since the management are tight knit amongst themselves, there is an obvious favouritism, causing a clear divide between managers and casuals. This reduces team cohesion and as a result I do not feel like I belong in the team. Very clear that the managers are out for themselves and don’t care about who gets stepped on along the way

Pros

No pros

Cons

No sense of belonging, no team work

Platypus

Platypus is a wonderful workplace when all factors are taken in. All staff are amazing as well as the team that work together to encourage and motivate each other. Platypus is a great place to work to build new relationships, be more confident, and gain new skills. Talking to customers has become one of my favourite things to do at work as well as making sure they leave the store with a smile.

Pros

team and management is great, motivation, vibe, teamwork

Cons

can be stressful at times

Terrible Management.

I absolutely loved working at Platypus and the culture they were founded on, unfortunately career advancement and management make your life ridiculously miserable. A lot of bias and personal relations that hinder working effectively.

Fun place to work, good team culture

My experience at Platypus shoes over all was generally always fun,l great team vibes and culture, always having great music playing to keep your energy levels up. Can be a little, favorable to certain employees in regards to head office management.

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

high KPIs

Bad place to work

Management is horrible, shifts are allocated based on sales made, bosses provide shifts to employees they like rather then those who met KPIS. would not recommend working here.

Pros

discounted shoes

Cons

bad management, very pushy for sales

Productive workplace with likeminded staff

Great team communications within store and productive workplace with likeminded staff. Flexible with casual hours. Loved working with the Chadstone and Southland team ! Always received positive feedback from all customers with my customer service skills and communication.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Platypus Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Platypus Shoes with

• Platypus Shoes
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?