Platypus Shoes Employee Reviews

Very unwelcoming and not a fun place to work
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watergardens VIC4 April 2019
Very disappointed to see the disgustingly poor management skills in store. I have found this company to be very dog eat dog, not caring about staff and even stealing sales to boost their own stats. Since the management are tight knit amongst themselves, there is an obvious favouritism, causing a clear divide between managers and casuals. This reduces team cohesion and as a result I do not feel like I belong in the team. Very clear that the managers are out for themselves and don’t care about who gets stepped on along the way
Pros
No pros
Cons
No sense of belonging, no team work
Platypus
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW3 April 2019
Platypus is a wonderful workplace when all factors are taken in. All staff are amazing as well as the team that work together to encourage and motivate each other. Platypus is a great place to work to build new relationships, be more confident, and gain new skills. Talking to customers has become one of my favourite things to do at work as well as making sure they leave the store with a smile.
Pros
team and management is great, motivation, vibe, teamwork
Cons
can be stressful at times
Terrible Management.
Full Time Sales Assistant / Acting 2IC (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW26 February 2019
I absolutely loved working at Platypus and the culture they were founded on, unfortunately career advancement and management make your life ridiculously miserable. A lot of bias and personal relations that hinder working effectively.
Fun place to work, good team culture
Store Manager - Full Time & sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 February 2019
My experience at Platypus shoes over all was generally always fun,l great team vibes and culture, always having great music playing to keep your energy levels up. Can be a little, favorable to certain employees in regards to head office management.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
high KPIs
Bad place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC22 January 2019
Management is horrible, shifts are allocated based on sales made, bosses provide shifts to employees they like rather then those who met KPIS. would not recommend working here.
Pros
discounted shoes
Cons
bad management, very pushy for sales
Productive workplace with likeminded staff
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Chadstone + Southland13 September 2018
Great team communications within store and productive workplace with likeminded staff. Flexible with casual hours. Loved working with the Chadstone and Southland team !
Always received positive feedback from all customers with my customer service skills and communication.
Productive team, with fast paced sales environment and willingness to learn new techniques
Store Manager (2IC), Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW11 September 2018
I've gained sales techniques that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

State and regional management were regularly onsite, providing us with constructive criticism.

This was always a new lesson in itself, and allowed me to try new management techniques that allowed my team members to learn and share their opinions.

Loud music created a fun environment, that allowed us to have fun whilst working towards KPI's and targets.
Pros
Staff discounts and consistent product knowledge
Cons
Overtime
Productive and fun environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  NT31 July 2018
Management was not the best but the vibe and meeting unique people every shift was definitely a highlight. More shifts would have been better and less pressure to sell a certain amount of shoes during non-busy days.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
management
Good service and amazing vibe in store
salesperson (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC5 July 2018
we are pressured to do sales and hit targets, management is bad and they don't care about us and you can never move up the ladder with the company but they will do anything to keep you there even by lies. You could be the best salesperson but they would overlook your hard-work and leave you standing alone. The company over works managers. Managers have favorites in store and if you are not a favorite, you barely get shifts other than that we still have fun on the floor and sell.
Pros
commission and good discounts
Cons
you cannot step up to a new position quick enough
Good experience
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW1 April 2018
Platypus shoes has a good job culture and is overall a good experience for a first job or management position. It was easy to balance life and work as they were very considerate.
Pros
working with shoes
Cons
on your feet all day
Good vibe, Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eastland Shopping Centre VIC14 March 2018
All in all, it's an awesome place to work and lots of fun, but having gone through a few managers, it's a common theme that staff and non-sales type tasks go unnoticed and unappreciated
Great Workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chadstone VIC28 January 2018
Platypus shoes is a great workplace, it is engaging and sociable. The team you work with are highly supporting and respectful and portrays a sense of community.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Average Pay
Fun environment, great product
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne & Gold Coast23 January 2018
Working for platypus helped me learn a lot like upskilling my customer service, learnt ways to work faster in a busy foot traffic environment, met alot of great employees along the way and had the opportunity to help set up pop up stores and brand new stores the company had spent millions of dollars on. i just wish their incentives for their staff were better.
Best team environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW25 April 2017
I loved working at Platypus. Getting to engage with customers on a daily basis and working with people who had the same values as you was super incredible! I was taught many new skills and constantly pushed to reach daily targets
Pros
great environment, great discounts off sneakers
Cons
short shifts
productive and fun working environment
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston VIC18 April 2017
Platypus is a fun and professional organisation that looks out for their team members and ensures that it is a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable working environment.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
sometimes not enough hours
Great interim job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth, UK2 March 2017
Great company for casual - full time hours, however management doesn't get enough support and there are high expectations. Head Office never seem to know what they're doing and expect instant results. WA gets forgotten as most stores are based on the East Coast
Great for young people to start Retail
Marketing, Visual (Former Employee) –  Mt Druitt NSW14 February 2017
Had a short amount of time there but from what I seen it would be a great place for someone to start out their retail career. Plenty of growth available. Opening and closes of Platypus store. Visual Merchandising and general upkeep of store. Sales and meeting of KPI's
Pros
Discount on product.
Cons
Quite repetitive work
Fun work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 January 2017
A typical day was making sure the store was presented with fresh new stock and making sales. I learnt how to upsell. Management weren't overly supportive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with nasty customers. The mist enjoyable part was working with a great team of people.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Laid-back work with a driven team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlestown NSW16 January 2017
Was a really good job that built my social skills and taught me how to work well within a team environment. It also taught me how to react in stressful situations in regards to business, sour customers and busy times such as Christmas, Easter and the New Year.
Pros
Discounts, sociable job
Cons
Boring job, not a lot to do
Amazing Environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth Hay1 December 2016
Absolutely love it! Can't wait to have more shifts! Love meeting new people and always making them leave with a smile on their faces :) Love getting a big sale, makes me and the customer feel great!
Pros
meeting new people!