Platypus Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Platypus Shoes Employee Reviews

Australia44 reviews
This was a place that i learnt the most in to this day. I learnt how culture can sometimes overtake work place mental health. I didn't enjoy it and found that it was more focused on being the right kind of sales vulture opposed to hard-working ethical people. This took a toll on me but i did learn a lot about inventory management which i am grateful for.
Great place to learn sale skills and how to sell a product to customers, teaches you how to fit in to its workplace and that is a great skill to take into any other business.
Worked at platypus for just over 3 years, I know so surprised I lasted that long.. the reason why I did stay that long was because of the team!

I started off as a casual and then became the full-timer.

For a casual, your job is not as stressful but being a part of the management team is absolutely ridiculous.

- The expectations they have, are shocking.

- They do not listen to you and your store's needs.

- You constantly get phone calls daily from area manager complaining because your store is not achieving and if you do hit target, you barely get praised.

- Have stupidly high UPT expectations

- If you are having a slow day and theres not much foot traffic in the shopping centre they do not care and will ask you what you're going to do differently to get people in store.. (most frustrating thing when theres nothing you can do because the centres dead )

Over all such a negative place to work. I left this job to focus on my mental health and happy to say id never to back. Two good things I have to say is the team I worked with I consider really close friends now and the discount is 40%.
Fast paced yet so fun, loved working with shoes and a good work vibe. I got to play music in store which is awesome and I learnt how to incorporate my own individuality into my work ethic
Great to experience a collaborative atmosphere, with a good competitive nature. Learning how to work amongst different personalities and also how to service those differences too.
productive workplace helps with learning customer service although the staff isn't as friendly as youd like, overall good place to work, I learned alot from platypus
Loved working there. Customers were always friendly and loved giving them my opinion if they ever asked. Staff were friendly and wonderful to work for.
a typical day at work would be arriving and jumping on the floor straight away to help customers find what they were after.
I learnt how to be a productive sales team member.
I really enjoyed working for Platyus because of the great culture between fashion and customers was amazing. The management was mostly good for the most part but could have been a little better in my opinion. The fact live DJ's played in our Pacific Fair store was amazing !
Pros
Good Staff Discounts
Cons
Some Managers
Long demanding hours however the atmosphere and likeminded team make up for this, very strict workplace despite what it seems almost makes you feel uneasy about thinking outside the box, easily the lowest paying job I’ve had to date while requiring by far the most hard work and effort, again the atmosphere makes this somewhat tolerable, I haven’t been paid correctly once in all my payslips and have been ignored when questioning this, the company tries their best to save where they can I don’t feel my long hard hours and experience is truly valued, awesome job if you’re a casual worker while doing something else on the side but management and a career path is pretty tough on the mental state, growth in the company seems quick as their turn over of positions is so frequent.
Pros
Mediocre discount, fun working environment
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, questionable work ethics
It's a very competitive environment and is highly sales focused, to a fault to be honest. But outside of its sell at all costs mentality its an enjoyable place to work the pay is standard but is boosted by commission putting it above most retail jobs. there is also a 40% discount of the rrp for staff which is a mediocre discount seeing as normal sales are frequently better than the staff discount.
Pros
above average pay (when comission is counted), ok staff discount
Cons
aggressively sales focused where it can ruin the team atmosphere
Very disappointed to see the disgustingly poor management skills in store. I have found this company to be very dog eat dog, not caring about staff and even stealing sales to boost their own stats. Since the management are tight knit amongst themselves, there is an obvious favouritism, causing a clear divide between managers and casuals. This reduces team cohesion and as a result I do not feel like I belong in the team. Very clear that the managers are out for themselves and don’t care about who gets stepped on along the way
Pros
No pros
Cons
No sense of belonging, no team work
Platypus is a wonderful workplace when all factors are taken in. All staff are amazing as well as the team that work together to encourage and motivate each other. Platypus is a great place to work to build new relationships, be more confident, and gain new skills. Talking to customers has become one of my favourite things to do at work as well as making sure they leave the store with a smile.
Pros
team and management is great, motivation, vibe, teamwork
Cons
can be stressful at times
I absolutely loved working at Platypus and the culture they were founded on, unfortunately career advancement and management make your life ridiculously miserable. A lot of bias and personal relations that hinder working effectively.
My experience at Platypus shoes over all was generally always fun,l great team vibes and culture, always having great music playing to keep your energy levels up. Can be a little, favorable to certain employees in regards to head office management.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
high KPIs
Management is horrible, shifts are allocated based on sales made, bosses provide shifts to employees they like rather then those who met KPIS. would not recommend working here.
Pros
discounted shoes
Cons
bad management, very pushy for sales
Great team communications within store and productive workplace with likeminded staff. Flexible with casual hours. Loved working with the Chadstone and Southland team !
Always received positive feedback from all customers with my customer service skills and communication.
I've gained sales techniques that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

State and regional management were regularly onsite, providing us with constructive criticism.

This was always a new lesson in itself, and allowed me to try new management techniques that allowed my team members to learn and share their opinions.

Loud music created a fun environment, that allowed us to have fun whilst working towards KPI's and targets.
Pros
Staff discounts and consistent product knowledge
Cons
Overtime
Management was not the best but the vibe and meeting unique people every shift was definitely a highlight. More shifts would have been better and less pressure to sell a certain amount of shoes during non-busy days.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
management
we are pressured to do sales and hit targets, management is bad and they don't care about us and you can never move up the ladder with the company but they will do anything to keep you there even by lies. You could be the best salesperson but they would overlook your hard-work and leave you standing alone. The company over works managers. Managers have favorites in store and if you are not a favorite, you barely get shifts other than that we still have fun on the floor and sell.
Pros
commission and good discounts
Cons
you cannot step up to a new position quick enough
Platypus shoes has a good job culture and is overall a good experience for a first job or management position. It was easy to balance life and work as they were very considerate.
Pros
working with shoes
Cons
on your feet all day