Public Outreach Australia
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Public Outreach Australia Employee Reviews

Featured review
Public Outreach Australia selected this as a representative review
I worked in the Sydney based office for 5 months and it was probably one of the best experiences of my working life. The office is full of friendly, passionate and positive people which has created such a great working environment. The management was great at supporting, teaching and encouraging us all to reach our best potential as fundraisers for some incredible charities. The use of 'energizers' after each break was one of my favorite parts of the job. They are used to get everyone to relieve stress and get people energized and focused ready for the next session of fundraising. Really has been such an incredible experience! I actually would look forward to going into work.
Working at public outreach was an amazing experience! You get to chat to people all day while making a difference to charity. In the morning and after each break you get to play energisers which is really fun and everyone that works there is lovely so you make so many friends! You have got targets to meet weekly but they are definitely achievable. Managers are team leaders are supportive and offer advice to get you there. On Fridays, there are beers in the office after work and they have pizza lunches or a BBQ often too! I can not recommend this place to work for enough!!
Very high turnover of staff, hiring around 10 people every week and losing heaps as well. Very repetitive and mentally exhausting job. Strict on taking any sick days, even had a colleague get told she shouldn't be taking days off for her mental health and quote "why can't you take anti-depressants to fix the problem?". Zero job security, I would be smashing targets all week and then have one average day and be threatened with losing my job. Also, you get paid $26.50 plus bonus, which is great but not what the ad says. The calls are very cold, only certain charities will have you calling warm calls or members. Most of my calls were from people who signed up to win a free iPhone and didn't read the terms and conditions. It's also casual loading, so you're working full-time but don't get any paid sick leave or holiday pay. They have a staff kitchen which is meant to get cleaned but hasn't since I started. Had rubbish everywhere, dirty dishes and mould in the fridge. The other employees are great, but I would only recommend this job if you want something short term.
Lots of pressure to meet targets - your job security is threatened by management every day (not just me, the entire team of 6 others we had - all of us quit within two weeks of working there!) Management blatantly lied about salary and benefits - poorly managed and pressurised job which inhibits being able to work properly and raise funds needed Very business oriented and seems like they care more about money than actually raising funds for the charity - told us to lie to the public about what they could actually donate
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Pressure, poor management, sketchy lying
Official response from Public Outreach Australia
12 August 2019
The pay structure and hourly wage is very clearly set out - may i ask what it was to do with your pay structure that you felt misled about? The fact that it is a target based role is also spoken about at length during the interview process.
Public outreach Is an awesome company to work for. You are supported 100% of the way and learn many skills that can also help you in your day to day life, whether that be keeping positive or getting outside of your comfort zone. I have been here for 5 years and I don’t plan on going anywhere. The Culture is amazing! You meet so many great people from all over the world. The fundraisers, team leaders and managers you get to work with make you feel at home, a place where you want to stay long term. The same opportunity is here for anyone who walks through the doors.
Pros
Culture, free beer and pizza
Loved working for this company and loved the people. The role was sometimes stressful but I also enjoy the fast paced nature of it. The friends I've made here are still people I keep in touch with!
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Sometimes tressful
Simply put, one of the best fundraising agencies out there. No commission, good work/life balance, amazing culture and coworkers, awesome socials, EAP, and progression opportunities. I've had the opportunity to travel around Australia and build a great career working with charities!
Pros
Company culture, employee support, supportive managers
Cons
Targets aren't everybody's cup of tea. Having said that though, they're very achievable and there are bonuses for overachievement.
Half a decade ago I was lost. I had no direction in my life, trying odd jobs here and there and constantly failing. I didn't work hard at anything because I didn't think anything was worth it. I secured an interview at Public Outreach and thought to myself, "here we go. Just another marketing agency that will use me, abuse me, and dump me." I couldn't have been more wrong. From day one I've been treated like a real human being. I have been given opportunities and a career I never thought was possible for myself, all while helping to make the world a better place through fundraising for amazing charities. This company is a family, and every single day when I wake up I'm excited to go to work and be with people who genuinely share my passion for a better world. Yes the work can be hard at times. But changing the world is never easy. Yes you can get rejected a lot as a fundraiser. But now I can face anything life throws at me with drive and positivity. Yes there are targets to meet. But they are more than achievable and they've taught my to manage my time and be resilient. I have had the absolute privilege of travelling and living all over this great country because of Public Outreach. I met the best friends I could ever ask for through working here. I even met my life partner here! If you want to become a better communicator, open amazing doors in the charity sector (and life in general), or learn how to be the best version of yourself than you can be - I strongly recommend giving this company a shot. Your future self will thank you immensely for - more...
Pros
Culture, pay, career opportunities
Cons
Working towards targets and meeting new people every day is not for everybody
Supportive and inclusive team culture. Really fun place to work whilst making a positive difference in the world!! Targets are in place to make sure we are doing the best job possible for the charities. Really great hourly wage :)
Pros
Hourly wage, amazing team culture
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Public Outreach Australia?
Complete let down with the way they run the company, this was due to the pressure they placed, despite contradictory saying that they would not place a large amount of pressure on us.
The people I worked with were lovely and friendly and made my time there great. During my time there I felt empowered that I was helping charity. being a fundraising place it was quite stressful and I didn't feel I had any job security.