Qantas

Qantas Employee Reviews

Australia364 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Fast paced but very helpful environment

Very few chances for promotion, hard fast paced environment. 15 min break means 15,not one second on top. Flight passenger counting always changes. Alcohol or drug test is done on sight randomly.

Toxic

You will need steel plated shirts to work in this company. Too many back stabbers, who just want to try and climb a ladder that leads nowhere.It used to be a great work place, when everyone cared. Now, nobody gives a hoot.

Pros

Working with great mates

Cons

Corporate

Fun

Was a great work environment and loved it as this has been my dream job since I was younger. Travel benefits are great and it’s a lifestyle more than a job

Unexpected good experience , I felt part of the team Qantas

Very professional and friendly staff .I miss my Qantas life really I can say Qantas was part of my life .I enjoy every day working for QANTAS not because I tell you this just because was a real opportunity for everyone who work there .

No life balance

No job security pay is minimal below average Management have know idea who to treat staffNepotism goes along way is this company you never get rewarded for going above and beyond.

Professional, informative, standard airline recruitiment procedure

It was consistent with all airline recruitment procedures . Possibly a little more comfortable and relaxed . The interviewers were very good , professional and concise and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable.

Pros

Airfare staff benefits

Cons

Fly out of BNE airport only not Sunshine Coast

Not what it used to be

You will make great friends but have no support from management. You will not be a valued employee. Staff travel is more stressful than it’s worth . Your life work balance will be shot. Rosters aren’t given with enough notice

Great Company to work for

Staff are incredibly professional and fun to work with. Shift roster can be quite a challenge but you'll get the hang of it. Staff travel benefit is definitely one to look for.

Better jobs out there

Not treated good here, you name it. I’ve never seen anything as bad as this company. The good workers get picked on, leading hands are bullies. They have people working there with no experience and no training. And the pay is low. You will get much better pay somewhere else. Average pay is like 22 dollars an hour. You get injured your treated like it’s your fault.

Pros

Cons

To many to put down

Management could not care less about your health or safety.

Horrible company to work for. It's such a big company you are just considered a number to them. Management have no idea what is really going on at all and don't seem to care. Management probably is the biggest problem in this company espically if you need help or have a report they don't fix anything at all. No chance at all of becoming full time because they only hire contractors. Your safety is not a priority at all to the company it's all about timing and money for them unfortunately.

Pros

Good pay only because your on a casual rate.

Cons

Bad management, don't care about your safety. No chance of full time for anyone, they have casuals who have been there for over 10 years.

Proud to wear the company uniform. FANTASTIC place to work

I loved the opportunity to work in several cities and quite a few Airports. Was assisted in relocating to Cairns. I was glad to put on the uniform and get to my shift early.

Pros

Staff travel, interesting work

Cons

Covid redundancy

Ghastly company to work for!

Managers climbing the ladder, worried only about their own personal KPI and bonuses. Toxic workplace culture of backstabbing and dobbing in order to get promotion. Management harassing over sick leave, The board completely detached from its workforce.

Pros

For the most part, great work mates.

Cons

Toxic work culture.

Very stressful and under staffed

Very stressful job, no time for lunch most days, always staying back to get work finished, need more employees but not in the budget.Management is always changing and coming in with new ideas and processes that never work as we've been down these paths before but they need to come up with something to earn their bonus and then move on to another department leaving the employees to manage everything.

Pros

Iconic company

Cons

Almost impossible to get on a flight on standby, Management is always changing, Management works on a yearly bonus so will screw the department to make the bonus

I am very impressed with their handling of the pandemic in their support for crew and customers

I have had the best experience working for Qantas. I am very loyal and do my best at my job always.I respect the decisions Qantas makes and followpolicies set down by the company.Qantas works in a safe manner at all times

Pros

Discounted Airfares - Shift work

Cons

You can become fatigued, however Qantas does manage Fatigue seriously.

Great airline with dedicated staff

Fantastic airline to work for. I was there for almost 25yrs and during that time faced many challenges (effects of 9/11, Ansett collapse, airline shutdown, QF32 engine failure, volcanic disruptions etc) but everyone always pulled together to get through the difficult times.

Pros

There was a LOT of experience in the team. Even in the most extremely stressful situations, you knew it was going to be ok.

Cons

Stressful and fast paced. Lots of regulatory and award restrictions to deal with.

Nil work life balance

A typical week of work would involve many different start times normally starting on an early morning shift and finishing on a late afternoon shift with a 6 day on 2 day off roster.Nil recovery time between shifts

Pros

Staff travel

Cons

Long hours for minimum recovery

Challenging times

Working for the iconic brand does not compensate for the uncertainty of not knowing when the next employee cut will come (very often). Salaries are below market rate.It is not a place to challenge the status quo, just do what you are told and it will be fine.Good performance is not always recognised and efforts do not often reflect what you receive.They want flexibility but there is no clear direction; it is lost somewhere in middle levels of management (who does not communicate well, it is under pressure, often not skilled for management roles and relying on trendy talk but poor delivery).Most employees are excellent colleagues, good mates, really good spirited people who wants to try their best in difficult circumstances. Career promotions are not necessarily based on merit or skills but mostly who you know, how much money you saved short term and if you are willing to work more for less.

Pros

Travel benefits

Cons

Workplace climate

Productive place to work, had some great people

It was a really good place to work, most people were really easy to get along with and never really had any issues with managers. Had a lot of extra hours and overtime if you were willing to do it, could actually make good money there, then we had our job outsourced.

Pros

Discount travel

Cons

Job being outsourced

Management only work for the CEO not there workers

Counters removed for Premium customers standing all shift running from front line to Marshall and sometimes in the rain with no wet weather protection and they expect you to come back the the front line looking immaculate

Pros

No pros

Cons

No room for improvement standards of work environment unhealthy

Excellent Company to work for

I worked at Qantas for over 30 years, and I would definitely Italy recommend them as a employer.Pay and conditions were good, but getting harder to maintain due to corporate greed, thus the need for good Union Membership to keep the balance.The employees are fantastic and it has a great culture and workplace enjoyment.

Pros

Great Aussie Company of the highest quaity brand

Cons

Long hours work/life balance difficult.

A cabin crew member is not a job , its a lifestyle

Becoming a flight attendant is a whole new world as everything during the initial 8 weeks training is intense, demanding & nothing like you have ever done before as mostly all you experience is so foreign & only relevent to the role. You have to pass exams twice a year & there is a very small window to get answers wrong & is not looked upon lightly by your manager if you have a major fail, you get stood down until you resit & pass a one on one training day to be able to return to work. This is also governed by CASA . You spend a lot of time away after a few years approx 200+ hours a mnth, friends stop calling to ask you to any event as you are always away, & when your home you are busy doing playing catch up before you are off again. Most family events, B'days, chrissy etc you won't be home for. In return you get to travel the world while being paid very well, benefits, staff travel , holidays are generous & most colleagues are accepting, helpful as they were once in your shoes when starting out. Its a fast paced workplace, customers can be demanding, hotels noisy so you need to manage all this. Your managers on the ground have a 3 year life span before getting replaced as they are only ticking boxes to meet their KPI's & the company could save alot of $ if they concentrated on front line staff for ideas in service, dealings with customers, must i go on as front line staff solve all complaints, problems , delays daily & deal face to face with customers & hear & deal with all the issues they experience & know how to recover most situations immediately & effectively.

Pros

Staff travel, travel while being paid, generous annual leave, ongoing training, meeting new people & going to new places, colleagues, excelkent superannuation, uniforms provided, going up to the cockpit - take-off, landing

Cons

Long hours, going to work back of the clock with time differences, missing family events, maintaining personal friendships/ relationships out of work, health, diet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qantas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Qantas with