Qantas

Clear
3.8Work–Life Balance
3.9Pay & Benefits

relaxed work environment

Had no experience in the aviation industry but the training program at the beginning was really helpful. worked with a great team. good experience. Salary was not the greatest but did have some staff travel discount for myself and the family

Low crew morale, poor management, good benefits

The crew culture is very underwhelming...everyone hates the company and management. Morale is very very low. Very long hours and tiring work. Layovers are getting shorter and homerest is insufficient. Poor work like balance. Good benefits like staff travel.

Pros

Staff travel, see the world

Cons

Long hours, crew culture, short rest periods

Fun

Was a great work environment and loved it as this has been my dream job since I was younger. Travel benefits are great and it’s a lifestyle more than a job

Professional, informative, standard airline recruitiment procedure

It was consistent with all airline recruitment procedures . Possibly a little more comfortable and relaxed . The interviewers were very good , professional and concise and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable.

Pros

Airfare staff benefits

Cons

Fly out of BNE airport only not Sunshine Coast

Better jobs out there

Not treated good here, you name it. I’ve never seen anything as bad as this company. The good workers get picked on, leading hands are bullies. They have people working there with no experience and no training. And the pay is low. You will get much better pay somewhere else. Average pay is like 22 dollars an hour. You get injured your treated like it’s your fault.

Pros

Cons

To many to put down

Challenging times

Working for the iconic brand does not compensate for the uncertainty of not knowing when the next employee cut will come (very often). Salaries are below market rate.It is not a place to challenge the status quo, just do what you are told and it will be fine.Good performance is not always recognised and efforts do not often reflect what you receive.They want flexibility but there is no clear direction; it is lost somewhere in middle levels of management (who does not communicate well, it is under pressure, often not skilled for management roles and relying on trendy talk but poor delivery).Most employees are excellent colleagues, good mates, really good spirited people who wants to try their best in difficult circumstances. Career promotions are not necessarily based on merit or skills but mostly who you know, how much money you saved short term and if you are willing to work more for less.

Pros

Travel benefits

Cons

Workplace climate

Productive place to work, had some great people

It was a really good place to work, most people were really easy to get along with and never really had any issues with managers. Had a lot of extra hours and overtime if you were willing to do it, could actually make good money there, then we had our job outsourced.

Pros

Discount travel

Cons

Job being outsourced

A cabin crew member is not a job , its a lifestyle

Becoming a flight attendant is a whole new world as everything during the initial 8 weeks training is intense, demanding & nothing like you have ever done before as mostly all you experience is so foreign & only relevent to the role. You have to pass exams twice a year & there is a very small window to get answers wrong & is not looked upon lightly by your manager if you have a major fail, you get stood down until you resit & pass a one on one training day to be able to return to work. This is also governed by CASA . You spend a lot of time away after a few years approx 200+ hours a mnth, friends stop calling to ask you to any event as you are always away, & when your home you are busy doing playing catch up before you are off again. Most family events, B'days, chrissy etc you won't be home for. In return you get to travel the world while being paid very well, benefits, staff travel , holidays are generous & most colleagues are accepting, helpful as they were once in your shoes when starting out. Its a fast paced workplace, customers can be demanding, hotels noisy so you need to manage all this. Your managers on the ground have a 3 year life span before getting replaced as they are only ticking boxes to meet their KPI's & the company could save alot of $ if they concentrated on front line staff for ideas in service, dealings with customers, must i go on as front line staff solve all complaints, problems , delays daily & deal face to face with customers & hear & deal with all the issues they experience & know how to recover most situations immediately & effectively.

Pros

Staff travel, travel while being paid, generous annual leave, ongoing training, meeting new people & going to new places, colleagues, excelkent superannuation, uniforms provided, going up to the cockpit - take-off, landing

Cons

Long hours, going to work back of the clock with time differences, missing family events, maintaining personal friendships/ relationships out of work, health, diet

Used to be good

Loved working as International crew when I first started in 1992. The calibre of staff and management changes dramatically since then, particularly with Joyce cost cutting everything. It is more like a budget airline now with less committed staff. The work is exhausting as you would expect but well compensated if you love travel.

Pros

Free food, travel, uniform

Cons

Jetlag, Management

Great workplace and colleagues

Qantas are a good company to work for with regards to pay and conditions. The best part of the job is the amazing staff who make the airline what it is. You need to be prepared to work at any hour of the day with changes to your roster 7 days out and also the need to do overtime on the day if the operation requires. This is voluntary but kind of expected if there is nobody else to do it.

Pros

Free uniform, dry cleaning, travel benefits

Cons

Shift work, hard with work / life balance

It was fair when I was there ..so much has changed

When i first joined Qantas I took up a casual position and worked long hours. In a few years they made me permanent. The Money was excellent, loved my Job and did heaps of overtime. I worked in various departments. My favourite was preparing Special Meals for International flights. Later I became Crew Leader. Very competitive. I worked with 60 different Nationalities. I treated it like my second home and made every minute enjoyable. I took a voluntary redundancy package in July 2016 To help care for my grand daughter.

Pros

Free meals in their canteen

great people and environment

Well paid, responsible job, good career prospects pre COVID of course. The people you work with make the job. You are given and expect to give support to others, a selfish person wouldn't last in this career. The hours of work can be demanding especially nightshift which is now proven to reduce life expectancy.

Pros

responsibly

Cons

hours

N/a

Great company. Excellent job, great conditions and benefits. Interview process can take a very long time be prepared to wait and the be called to start work ASAP

Workplace culture

Great place to make longterm friends and a good vibe, would highly recommend this company to anyone, need to be a hard worker but the benefits are so worth it

Pros

Staff travel

Qantas Airlines

Great company to work for Shift work can be hard to balance with family Travel benefits are great! It’s a great Airline! I believe the greatest!

Pros

Great Airline to represent

Cons

Shift work

Outstanding place to work!

Qantas is one of the best places I’ve ever worked. It’s collaborative, consultative, effective, professional and fun. The team I worked with were fabulous! I loved every minute of working at Qantas. The only reason I left was because it was a really long commute for me. Benefits by the bucket load and lots a great career opportunity too.

Great staff travel benefits in a diverse workplace.

Great staff travel benefits. Diverse working culture but still needs some improvement with just reporting processes. Good remuneration but with too much disparity in wages among staff in frontline roles which can cause some contention. Flexible working arrangements for some staff on the original Flight Attendant award. There has been some improvement in support for mental health issues among staff. There is excellent service and safety training which ensures quality of services delivered to our customers.

My dream job for last 32 years

I have loved my time with qantas , working in a Dynamic and diverse team every time I sign on for duty ensures flexibility and cooperation in the work place to achieve your goals

Pros

Travel and benefits

Cons

Jet lag

multi cultural

I worked for a company that prided itself in its multi culturalism. I have learned much awareness and highly recommend working with them. Very high training in most aspects.

Pros

great travel benefits

Cons

jet lag

Qantas

Completing multiple tasks and schedules for managers and EM. Dealing with questions from over 200 staff in the people group team Completing requests on order of priority/urgency Dealing with all level of management, staff and skill levels Hardest part of the job is saying no to items that I know will stop me from completing & focus on manger work working with a great boss/team and company!

Pros

Travel benefits

Cons

na

A fast paced, challenging and rewarding role.

I manage a large team of Flight Attendants and the Inflight Customer Experience. No two days in my role are the same. Every flight brings a new challenge, whether it be Operational, Customer or Crew related. I enjoy constantly being challenged and collaboratively working with my team members to come up with a solution that ultimately benefits the customer!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qantas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Qantas with