Queensland Corrective Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Corrective Services Employee Reviews

Too much jobs for the boys and constant bullying. No opportunity for progression. 87 percent of workforce is female. Not a productive workplace for males.
Working at QCS eventually wears you down. It is a stressful environment and it takes a toll on your personality. The days are long and the workplace culture is foul.
I was involved in a major incident here and have been off work without pay for 6 months due to the incident. Not once have I received an email to see if im okay or any help with my condition. Diagnosed with PTSD and employer aware I didn’t even receive a response, due to it being ptsd doctor refused to conclude it could be related to the incident at work so therefore declined me workcover. Dangerous environment, no backing from management and poor wages. Really not worth the risk.
Pros
Some officers care
Cons
Dangerous and lacks support
Great work life balance, you can work additional shifts if you want. Management support is excellent from the General Manager down to the supervisors. There are various positions, if you put the time and effort into your work. Training is excellent (12 weeks). Part on the job.
Pros
all uniforms provided, meals served while on duty.
Cons
12 hour shifts.
Have been the system for 18 years and have been a trainer in all aspects of the job. i have trained a majority of the supervisors, to be supervisors. Sick of clique groups promoting themselves instead on capabilities and ability.
There would not be a "typical" day in a Correctional Centre, as a result you are required to think on your feet every day and throughout the day. It is very important to have a good rapport with your work colleagues in this environment. I find the hardest part of the job would be having to deal with some of the emotional stresses that we see, however the most enjoyable part of the job would be recognising the support of your colleagues when things do get tough.
Pros
Moral support, provision of uniforms, meals, etc
Cons
Difficult in transitioning into areas of interest on a permanent basis (ie lots of acting roles).
Unfortunately this is a culture that is not conducive to rehabilitating offenders and I find it hard the way they are treated by custodial staff. Dealing with custodial staff is difficult as there is a power and control environment with bullying and harassment from some officers towards both prisoners and staff. I enjoy working with the women running programs
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Unstable and non supportive environment
The reception Store Officer is reponsible for the induction of new prisoners coming from the watch house into prison. This is a long process & can be quite challenging at times. The reception Store team also deals with discharging prisoners, the transfer of prisoners to another facility. I work with a team of 6 on a 6 week shift work roster (weekends & 12 hour shifts). I work closely with my supervisors & managers coming up with new ways to deal with the challenging issues that come up daily. I find the hardest part of my job is dealing with conflict resolutions but with years of experience & training i find that my communications skills have enhanced. The parts of my job i enjoy are having to multi-task, prioritise, interaction with a diverse range of people from the community. This job has taught me alot such as good communications skills, conflict resolution, managing many tasks at once.
Pros
a diverse working place, the management of security (dynamic & static)
Cons
great work & personal life balance
Generally a hard working group of staff with a focus on community safety and in providing prisoners with skills, knowledge and work attributes to assist them in gaining meaning work after release from prison.My day, drive into my secure carpark or catch the bus. Typical day is 0700 to 0715hrs with a finish around 1700hrs. Each morning I field questions from Prison Industries staff across the State. My HQ staff arrive around 0800 to 0900hrs, 5 minute meeting on priorities for the day. Attack and regroup when needed. My role is more trouble shooting and fixing issues. If necessary i will fix and escalate to the Correctional Centre's General Manager (my equivalent rank) if there's the possibility that there may be a recurrence or potential fall-out. I ensure that procedures and systems are corrected to mitigate a repeat.Hardest part of the job is finding projects that don't infringe the competitive neutrality provisions of National Competition Policy. Best is the interaction with staff (and prisoners at times) and contract negotiations.
Pros
i enjoy work, so work is great. well predominantly
Cons
whingers who complain without substance