Queensland Government
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Government Employee Reviews for Teacher

Teacher4 reviews
Australia4 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Wouldn’t go back.

- Colleagues that speak down about their peers and students. - transfer lies that say we can get back home within three years which isn’t the case. - negative view of colleagues and management - never ending introduction of useless diagnostics that take time away from teaching. - prescriptive tools that take our autonomy away. - dangerous students and no way to protect ourselves - desks and chairs thrown. - ever increasing class sizes - lack of non-contact - lack of inclusion - terrible staff and student wellbeing.

Pros

Pay packet Holidays

Cons

Long hours Us and them mentality

Discouraging and stressful workplace people not game to speak the truth for fear of losing position

After trying to secure a permanent position with the Department of Education I resigned from the department after 6 years . All I was ever given was one month occassionally 2 month contracts never any offer of longer term work no matter where I applied and what school I worked at. Despite working long hard hours and trying very hard to do my best with very limited support from any member of the staff, very poor induction and training in the work place and distant management with little hands on assistance. Dealing with difficult behavioural problems and learning disabilities but given very little support, no opportunity to teach all time spent on behaviour management with children that should not be in mainstream schooling. Very discouraging. I do not recommend this employer. I am glad I am no longer teaching in this toxic environment. The dedicated teachers that put up with this deserve medals.

Pros

Maybe local country work available but rarely.

Cons

Long hours unrealistic expectations

Relief work in schools

Relief teaching pays well but often there is no work available at certain times of the terms. Older children can be very hard on relief teachers so it is best to be selective to what grades and schools you wish to work at. You need to come to work in the state schools with your own coffeee as they rarely provide it. Schools all have tuck shops. If you can apply to work in the Catholic schools you will find the work easier.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Difficult students

Overworked for hours you put in., a very rewarding job

Not a great job if you also are keen to have a family life. You put in hours and hours of overtime with no pay, purely because you love the children. A most rewarding job all in all but you are confined to a tight scaffold. Can be very stressful.

Pros

Gorgeous staff and children, so many daily heartfelt rewards in seeing your class flourish

Cons

Long overtime hours, these hours affect your family life, work never ends, you are not paid for any overtime, you spend hundreds of your own money to help supplement your classes education, you are surrounded by sick children, a high stress job

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Queensland Government?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Queensland Government Reviews by Location