Queensland Health

Queensland Health Employee Reviews

Australia271 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Ever changing, good development

Good promotion options, training provided, good career development. Varied work experience, great working in the medical field as support staff, highly recommended

Terrible place to work

Undervalued, unappreciated and underpaid. Bullying management and impossible to get annual leave. Do not recommend this place to anyone. It is soul destroying and will overtake your life, shift work is relentless and day after day is a cycle of stress out on staff my managers. Patient acuity is getting worse and worse while more and more is expected by nurses.

Queensland Health insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Challenging, Learn Lots

Despite challenge of working with mentally unwell clients, it's a great opportunity to develop excellent interpersonal skills and meet people from all walks of life, hearing thier story

Pros

Interesting Consumers

Cons

Aggression, Violence, Verbal Abuse

QLD Health provides so many options for MH nursing

Great management has been so bombed with stress from COVID … and we have all struggled with working such extensive hours. Positively supporting permanent nursing staff has continued regardless of managements own struggles .. such as retirements & skill mix.

Pros

Extensive nursing career options

Cons

IT options & selective training times for new graduates

qld health employee

I love working for Qld Health. Great benefits, packages and environment. I have made good friends at Qld Health. Great Super packages available. Loads of opportunities to qork within other areas available.

Queensland childrens hospital- stable position but typical competitive nurses

Queensland Health is a massive organisation so obviously I can only speak for the department I worked in. To begin with I was an in home support worker and I also worked in the operating theatre setting up for operations. I didn't have too much interaction with the staff as I wasn't a registered nurse. The people I did talk to at Queensland Children's Hospital were really friendly but you soon got to know the less friendly areas... (namely the ER).

Pros

Good pay- job stability

Cons

Sick children

Disappointing let down.

The actual work itself was fine, it's what I expected. However nepotism in my particular area's management made it clear I was not advancing beyond my actual role. Applied for other positions that I was more than qualified for only to be overlooked by management in favour of their friends and family members. Payroll is convoluted, too many cogs in the system. Didn't get paid for nearly six weeks and was taxed at a higher percentage as payroll couldn't get their act together and lodge my paperwork that I gave them on my first day. Overall, a disappointing experience.

Lovely medical imaging department

No stress, most Drs are respectful and the workload isn’t too bad. Theatre is a reasonably good environment. Equipment mostly works, lots of CPD training available too

Pros

RDO accumulation m 12.75% super

Cons

On call

Very clean environment.

Workplace culture is toxic and Nurses are overworked with long shifts. HR play games with your contract and you don't know from month to month if you are still employed with Queensland Health.

Pros

Clean and safe place to work

Cons

All jobs are contracts with no permanent positions available to long serving staff

Great place to work. Friendly staff

I left because of retirement and the fact that I downsized and moved house.They offered me part time but distance was a problem. So I had to leave the perfect job

Pros

Salary sacrifice

Cons

Hard to gain promotion

Terrible culture of bullying

It's like tall poppy syndrome became a standard operating policy. The second you start your job at QLD health you'd better be ready to be completely on your own surrounded by miserable patients and staff that will do anything they can to ruin your career in healthcare. You might last a while if you keep to yourself and just try do your job but even that won't protect you for long.

Pros

Some positive experiences

Cons

Long hours. Bullying. Toxic workplace. No permanant position. Bad management.

Competitive

I have been seeking permanency for 5 years with no luck. I find that the high ups make reckless decisions for clinics and wards with regard to process and staff changes but have no idea what happens on the ground. I have also seen many line managers let go for backing themselves and team in their role, mostly replaced with a close contact of the in charge who follow orders and don’t question changes. Over all a nepotistic and (due to the rarely available permanent jobs) catty, competative work environment.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Instability

Loved working with mental health clients and staff. Management is not good. Doesn't back their staff, conditions are not good. Too many patients p

Loved working for Queensland health, with mental health client, nurses, drs, psychiatrists, social workers, admin. Executive and higher management have no idea the pressure all staff are under. Nos of clients allocated to workers is way too many. Workers request more help and management don't care. Suicide amongst workers happens too often, not coping with stressors. Never enough admin either, given more and more responsibility, no more money or staff.

Pros

Loved Working with drs and staff, learnt a lot about mental health issues. Able to work 4 days a week.

Cons

Very often couldn't get breaks, too busy. Not enough staff. Executive and bosses not approachable. Staff greatly stressed.

Toxic Bullying Culture - unfairly dismissed at Qld Chidren's Hospital

I was unfairly dismissed at the Queensland Children's Hospital. We were given 3 days to learn many programs (several of the steps were skipped and not taught to us at all..including Prep charts training). I got stressed & cried during training on the 3rd day as the trainer spoke a million miles an hour and barely gave us time to catch up (even the other new workers were stressed, and one stayed back her ENTIRE lunch hour trying to figure out the new programs). When I went into Outpatients I enjoyed my role and worked as hard as I could. I was finally understanding it (as learning 'on the job' is where they say most of our training is, and how I learn best).On the 3rd week I was put in switchboard with a trainer that disliked me (and had no idea I was turning up for training to start with!!..management issue there!!). I was given a folder and told I didn't need to write things down (this concerned me as THIS IS HOW I LEARN).She insisted on putting me straight on the phones on day 2 (I was supposed to be in switch for 3 weeks!!). On the first phone call, I got flustered with a tricky call and she sternly told me (with no empathy) "YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!", and swiftly took me off the phone! I was NEVER given another chance on the phone to train! I got upset again. Just told "Do you need to go for a walk?". No understanding. The following day was better and I started to understand it, and WRITE THINGS DOWN! But the next day she was sick and I was old to only come in for 4 hrs as the only trainer available (a nice guy that worked there who started at 2.30pm!) I thought this was -

Pros

nice uniform, good money, salary sacrifice

Cons

bullying, toxic work culture, managers out of touch, badly managed

Loved working with qld health.

Worked in all areas and enjoyed it all. Education was positive and a friendly place to work.I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to work at Meadowbrook again

Stressful, pressurised work environment

The Statistical analysis area of QLD health is not an area I would recommend to work in.The time I was there in a contract AO2 role ended up seeing me resign with a recurrence of health issues including anxiety. I applied for this role as a disabled applicant with them having full knowledge of my condition and being out of work for a period due to my disability.The job began well, then there was a build up of vindictiveness from the supervisor building up to comments for me to resign and pressure from a bad management.Any applicant should research the positives and liabilities of this area of QLD health before committing to a role.I would never work for some government departments again knowing the nature of the work culture.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Stressful work culture

Bullies

QLD Health has a Bullying culture. If a manager does not like you, they will gaslight, make up stories and cause you to suffer emotional distress and enjoy watching that turn to anxiety. The Minister for Health and our upper Government officials only listen to upper management the people being bullied are not even a thought to them. They protect, encourage the workplace psychopaths

Pros

wages, super holiday and benefits great

Cons

The Culture is one of bullying

Management belittle staff

Queensland Health has a big bully issue in the workplace. take it to management and management will cover other management bums in the process. they threaten you and torment you until you quit. toxic work environment to work in

Great if you tow the line

Great place to work, just don't speak up or display any kind of forward thinking or you will quickly be put in your place. Perfect for those that are happy to just "go to work and do their job". Any extra effort that you put in is ignored and suggestions on improving workflow etc are not appreciated unless they come from a supervisor. Be a trained monkey and they will be happy. Don't bank on job security. Permanent positions are definitely offered on a "who you know", not "what you know" basis.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No job security, Total apathy by supervisors, Impossible to be "heard" unless you're friends with somebody at the top of the food chain.

enjoyed working with QLD Health

I work at the QEII hospital Emergency Department as an Admin Officer. It is a very busy environment but I very much enjoy the fast paces nature of the department. I have the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary team. The hardest part of the job is doing the shift work but this again at times works a benefit for me. I really the company of my colleagues. The job requires being active and up to date.

Pros

Closer to home and free parking

Productive with some work culture issues

Working @ QLD health can be challenging as some staff are passively prejudice towards other cultures. there is also a work culture issue within most areas.

Pros

Good pay rate, mostly friendly staff. Staff willing to assist students

Cons

Work culture issue, some staff do not assist students, management in some areas assist friends before other collegues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Queensland Health with