Queensland Police Service

Queensland Police Service Employee Reviews

Australia65 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Unrealistic expectations place on frontline staff

Senior management lack understanding of the difficulty in operational policing in the modern day. The QPS lacks essential equipment and training for staff who make do with the very minimum. Regional areas are not supported adequately for housing for staff and stations are generally inadequate. Officers on the frontline cover for many other government departments after hours and carry responsibility for actions with minimum assistance.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long hours, shift work, unrealistic work loads, inadequate equipment and training

Not a job I'd recommend to anyone. Very little respect on the Streets these days. Workload and paperwork is too much.

It's not a job I'd recommend to my children or friends. Policing is failing badly due to a weak Court system that releases the reoffenders back onto the Streets to cause havoc. Police are worn out and the average public wouldn't have a clue.

Pros

Cons

Treated as a criminal in the job by the Hierarchy.

enjoyed working with people and helping keep the state and community safe.

Working at this company meant working for a better and safer community. Love the culture and Enjoyed the working with community and people problem solving.

QPS Communications - top job

Typical day at work can be characterized as fast paced, time critical decisions to be made, variety of personalities calling for assistance, at times stressful in meeting demands and multitasking, and very rewarding and satisfying. I learned much about the Law, Policing, how to speak to and elicit critical information out of very distressed callers, and much much more.Management in my experience were professional, and ethically addressed issues as they arose. I have fond memories of meeting and working with many great people. The hardest part of the job was night shifts. Leading to the most enjoyable part of the job, the satisfaction of knowing that what I did during my shift, made positive impact on outcomes, I was there for people facing some of the most traumatic situations in their lives.

Pros

Great workplace

33 years later

After a downturn in cattle prices and drought I decided to apply for the Queensland Police Force, later the Queensland Police Service. Every day a different day .....lots of help and encouragement and solid learning and with the finest dedicated people in Queensland. Some tough days but lots of satisfying days and great community satisfaction. Lots of interesting internal pathways ....over 400 different fields after initial training and 2 years of front line street basics.

Pros

Good money, good learning, good recreational leave periods awarded.

Cons

Shift work, seeing things no person should ever see.

Management never progresses

Whilst there are many issues in the workplace, when you are held to a higher standard and in charge or justiceThe internal workings are still old dinosaurs that can't move forward and If you speak up,might as well paint a target on your back as wellPeople with a voice need not apply, all those who are eager to say yes, you'll be rewarded

Pros

Secure job with decent renumeration

Cons

Middle management still in 1960s

Challenging and rewarding

From the application to the job it required a lot of thinking and planning, required being very organised and professional the entire time. Very diverse work, many avenues to pursue. Knowledge of your role and responsibilities were key and excellent communication.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Shift work can sometimes interfere with family commitments

Luck of the draw

If you are lucky you will get to work in a great team and have lots of fun. If unlucky, you get the opposite. And the court system is very unsatisfactory.

The joys of policing in Queensland.

I joined the police service for a challenge. It was a shock to the system and you can burnout quickly. You have to be ready to see dead bodies and particularly dead babies. You rely on you fellow officers to help and lead when things go pair shape. You have to be tough and assertive. You need to fit and healthy. You need to listen to superior officers and not shop around to find the answer were you want. you need to be strong, tough and ready to go to any type of job. There is a lot of paperwork to do and sometimes you will need to come in early or stay late after a shift. a typical day at work can go fast if you are busy or slow if there is nothing going one. it is good when it is quiet. Never disobey what a senior tells you. You need to be neat and tidy, up to the day to day law changes.

Gd, Intelligence and Surveillance Officer

The job and salary are fine but once you get injured the 3 personnel on Sick NBank committee have the power to NOT support you as they did with me - after 8 injures on the job and multiple operations the last op required a neck fusion from an injury on the job - they decided not to support me ie. NOT pay me any wages for 6 months then offered me medical retirement which I took. No other choice. Shame on you so go get independent Income insurance if you can get it very difficult. If you are a cop and working in an office job no contact with the public you can get income insurance privately. Also as soon as you are sworn in get the maximum coverage of super life insurance use to be 32 units.

Pros

Good job really if you like dealing with criminals and putting them away

Cons

Some bad management but that is everywhere - income insurance is the issue

Never a dull moment - lots of adrenalin rushes

Very stressful, at times, a real eye-opener working with such a vast difference of people out there! Great team environment and great place to learn about yourself and others

You will work with some of the finest people you will ever meet. You will meet people at their very best to there very worst. It is never dull as there will be something new almost daily. It is indeed an adventure. It will be extremely rewarding.

Good job

Fantastic and exciting job and I would highly recommend the role to any member if the public. Every day is different and there are numerous opportunities to progress

Stressful however rewarding

There is no typical day at work in the QPS. There are many sections you may choose to work in and aspects that keep the job interesting however it can be extremely stressful.

Challenging

A great place to work with access to resources. The amount of resourcing given to frontline staff is vastly different compared to the minimal resourcing given to New Zealand Policing front line staff.

A varied and busy work environment

The Police is a fast paced and varied work place that expects a great deal from all its personnel. Great comradery but shift work is difficult and demanding

Challenging, exciting, job security, good salary, excellent benefits

A very challenging workplace, my manager was a very considerate lady and I love the morning team breakfast every 3 months. Enjoyed communicating with staff in Probation Parole Board, Police Officers, Watchhouses, and Courts. As a team member of traffic team my daily work consists of data entry of traffic offences with a quota of 100 documents. This is the part I enjoyed most as I set up my own target which exceeded the set quota. The challenge rise as I answer enquiries from other team member or from other departments and doing other duties while focusing on exceeding the required quota set up by traffic team. There IS NO BORING TIME in Queensland Police.

Challenging work environment, data entry of traffic offences and phone dealing with government departments proved very inspiring.

Challenging, job security was high, wry good salary, considerate. Good benefits. Data Entry with a Target limit of 100 x150 a day of traffic offences and offenders. Telephone inquires from officers, the public, probation and parole boards, courts and watch houses are also my duties daily

Pros

Job security, considerate, good salary, good benefits

Cons

Not a good management by superiors

Interesting Place to Work

Working for the Queensland Police Service was one of my best jobs. It was interesting and so many relieving opportunities. I worked there for 5 years and only left due to redundancy.

Pros

Very Interesting

Cons

Na

Beneficial Job

The QPS provides an active career which exposes you to multiple different things and provides beneficial life skills which can be adopted across multiple different careers.

A Great place to work for a variety of responsibilities

In this position I was able to work in a variety of locations and able to work within different cultures of our community, while also working in a professional manner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Queensland Police Service with