Queensland Police Service
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Police Service Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
Work–Life Balance
Job Security & Advancement

Good job

Fantastic and exciting job and I would highly recommend the role to any member if the public. Every day is different and there are numerous opportunities to progress

33 years later

After a downturn in cattle prices and drought I decided to apply for the Queensland Police Force, later the Queensland Police Service. Every day a different day .....lots of help and encouragement and solid learning and with the finest dedicated people in Queensland. Some tough days but lots of satisfying days and great community satisfaction. Lots of interesting internal pathways ....over 400 different fields after initial training and 2 years of front line street basics.

Pros

Good money, good learning, good recreational leave periods awarded.

Cons

Shift work, seeing things no person should ever see.

Challenging work environment, data entry of traffic offences and phone dealing with government departments proved very inspiring.

Challenging, job security was high, wry good salary, considerate. Good benefits. Data Entry with a Target limit of 100 x150 a day of traffic offences and offenders. Telephone inquires from officers, the public, probation and parole boards, courts and watch houses are also my duties daily

Pros

Job security, considerate, good salary, good benefits

Cons

Not a good management by superiors

Interesting Place to Work

Working for the Queensland Police Service was one of my best jobs. It was interesting and so many relieving opportunities. I worked there for 5 years and only left due to redundancy.

Pros

Very Interesting

Cons

Na

Beneficial Job

The QPS provides an active career which exposes you to multiple different things and provides beneficial life skills which can be adopted across multiple different careers.

A Great place to work for a variety of responsibilities

In this position I was able to work in a variety of locations and able to work within different cultures of our community, while also working in a professional manner.

Excellent Company

I absolutely loved working in the Police Service. I had gained so much knowledge and skills. Enjoyed the perks and team are amazing to work with. It was very disappointing that my contract had come to an end with no available opportunities to apply to because I very much loved the team spirit in that office.

Pros

Great perks

Lack of opportunities

Due to being an older female there is a severe lack of opportunities, there is still a culture of male dominance from many years. After being sent to the country there were very few opportunities to follow a career path I was wishing to follow.

Secure Government Job with opportunity for advancement and variety

Every day is different in the QPS. You have many opportunities to change location and variety in your work place in the QPS. . It is a rewarding career.

Productive and a family workplace

Loved it No complaints Only disliked the lack of amount of permanent positions The lack of job development and advancement was also a negative Cant fault the people

Pros

Best people to work with

Cons

not many permanent positions mostly temporary

Jobs at Queensland Police Service

See more jobs

Strong Team work environment

The QPS academy is a welcoming, encouraging place to learn your new career, everything is provided and more than enough encouragement provided to get your through. The ability to have a job to help make a difference and keep the community you live in safe is an extraordinary experience and responsibility to be privileged be part of every day for 15 years. Attending traffic accidents assisting paramedics save lives, public safety in flood zones and incidents of devastation, being the first on a scene to prevent some one from taking their own lives then helping them back to a happier normality, keeping the public safe from intruders and untoward people, being privileged enough to work in multiple QLD Cape Indigenous communities being known as the cop who likes to have a chat, working in a country town being known and getting to know the local community. Not your ordinary job.

Pros

Part of a large team, promotion encouraged, great team mates and work environment, all equipment provided, ability to travel with in the job see and experience things general public don't.

No Good

Zero work/life balance - No room for advancement unless someone dies, mgt do not address concerns or complaints for admin officers job culture is a joke

Poor Management

Used to be a secure and respectable occupation, now run like a business, cares more about public perception than looking after employees

exciting and interesting

A typical day is partnering up collecting all of your equipment for the shift, cruising your division and attending to jobs given to you via police radio or situations you come across in your shift. I have learned the importance of being bale to confidently rely on your partner knowing they are trained up to a certain standard. Also the many surprising behaviours people can display and how to read them. The wonderful close bonds you form for a life time with your co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was being there to assist the community and keep them safe. Preforming a roll that is really necessary.

Pros

Uniforms supplied, job satisfaction, job security

Cons

stressful

N/a

Not Reviewed due to confidentiality. Provided job security and ongoing training. Considered a dangerous occupation to conflict and work place environment

productive and exciting work place

Productive and challenging work environment. All jobs attended are different and provide individual challenges that require quick and accurate thinking. Never boring to say the least. Very rewarding career.

Pros

challenging, never boring

Cons

long hours, shift work

Not very enjoyable

I was employed to fill a specific admin position, but was not given any training for that position and never ended up doing the job at all. In the 9 weeks I was there, all I did was go through archive boxes to determine the retention dates and shred any documents that didn't need to be kept. I desk-hopped nearly every day and did not feel settled at all. The admin staff were friendly enough but I didn't feel like I was part of the team and felt excluded for most of the time. All in all - the worst job I've ever had.

Pros

Close to home, free parking, part time hours

Cons

Boring job, excluded by staff.

Not a recommended employer

You're just a number. Your career, family and personal aspirations mean nothing to upper management.

variety of tasks

I enjoyed my time with QPS and the variety of work. I was able to learn a variety of skills which included large volume rosters and staff training as well as staff supervision.

Pros

Work life balance and variety

Cons

difficulty of advancement to next level

Working for the Polce

Working for the Queensland Police Service has enable me to acquire knowledge of using legislation, policy and procedures in my daily working environment. A large percentage of my daily work is to process a large volume of applications while also talking to clients on the phone about all aspects that pertain to the client needs within the Weapons Act 1990.Working in an environment like the Queensland Police Service I have to liaise with various police personnel and fellow work colleagues on a daily basis. Working closely with Authorised Officers and Team Leaders as well as members of the team. I also have to train new personnel of aspects that the job entails.The hardest part of the job is making sure that the clients understand the legislative aspects in assessing the application and why they need to give us the information that is required under the Weapons Act 1990. The best part of the job is the comradeship of my fellow workmates and the fulfillment when a client says thank you.

Pros

job security

Cons

advising clients when they don't listen