Queensland Police Service
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Police Service Management reviews

Whilst there are many issues in the workplace, when you are held to a higher standard and in charge or justiceThe internal workings are still old dinosaurs that can't move forward and If you speak up,might as well paint a target on your back as wellPeople with a voice need not apply, all those who are eager to say yes, you'll be rewarded
Pros
Secure job with decent renumeration
Cons
Middle management still in 1960s
Typical day at work can be characterized as fast paced, time critical decisions to be made, variety of personalities calling for assistance, at times stressful in meeting demands and multitasking, and very rewarding and satisfying. I learned much about the Law, Policing, how to speak to and elicit critical information out of very distressed callers, and much much more.Management in my experience were professional, and ethically addressed issues as they arose. I have fond memories of meeting and working with many great people. The hardest part of the job was night shifts. Leading to the most enjoyable part of the job, the satisfaction of knowing that what I did during my shift, made positive impact on outcomes, I was there for people facing some of the most traumatic situations in their lives.
Pros
Great workplace
The job and salary are fine but once you get injured the 3 personnel on Sick NBank committee have the power to NOT support you as they did with me - after 8 injures on the job and multiple operations the last op required a neck fusion from an injury on the job - they decided not to support me ie. NOT pay me any wages for 6 months then offered me medical retirement which I took. No other choice. Shame on you so go get independent Income insurance if you can get it very difficult. If you are a cop and working in an office job no contact with the public you can get income insurance privately. Also as soon as you are sworn in get the maximum coverage of super life insurance use to be 32 units.
Pros
Good job really if you like dealing with criminals and putting them away
Cons
Some bad management but that is everywhere - income insurance is the issue
A great place to work with access to resources. The amount of resourcing given to frontline staff is vastly different compared to the minimal resourcing given to New Zealand Policing front line staff.
Challenging, job security was high, wry good salary, considerate. Good benefits. Data Entry with a Target limit of 100 x150 a day of traffic offences and offenders. Telephone inquires from officers, the public, probation and parole boards, courts and watch houses are also my duties daily
Pros
Job security, considerate, good salary, good benefits
Cons
Not a good management by superiors
Due to being an older female there is a severe lack of opportunities, there is still a culture of male dominance from many years. After being sent to the country there were very few opportunities to follow a career path I was wishing to follow.
Loved it No complaints Only disliked the lack of amount of permanent positions The lack of job development and advancement was also a negative Cant fault the people
Pros
Best people to work with
Cons
not many permanent positions mostly temporary
A lot of unreported bullying takes place and is not handled well by senior staff when it is reported. Cronyisum is rife and you are not entitled to have an opinion without repercussions. Discipline system needs an overhaul. Minot indiscretions are too heavily penalised which affects a members ongoing work ethic.
Pros
Four days on- 4 days off.
Cons
Often recalled to duty to work on rostered day off.
The QPS is very poorly managed and lengthy paperwork and mismanagement can make working there a drag. The shift work can be a real killer on the work/life balance. The job is secure and the pay satisfactory after being there 5 years.
Pros
secure job
Cons
shift work and negativity at every level
Zero work/life balance - No room for advancement unless someone dies, mgt do not address concerns or complaints for admin officers job culture is a joke
shift work obviously makes it hard to have social life, the pay can be good after a while, depends what region you work in as to how the management is,
Used to be a secure and respectable occupation, now run like a business, cares more about public perception than looking after employees
You're just a number. Your career, family and personal aspirations mean nothing to upper management.
There is no such thing as a typical day. Each day is full on, time critical and can be extremely stressful depending on the job at hand. Some jobs are life and death and can be very over whelming. The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency of management decisions, and dealing with every life and death situations. The enjoyable part of the day is when people actually acknowledge the hard work done by the staff and our police.
Pros
Great police officers that we work with.
Cons
Long hours, Extremely stressful and life decisions made on the spot
Fantastic co-workers, knowledgeable and helpful management who are always willing to give advice and guidance where needed.
Pros
Great colleagues and staff
Cons
Rigid and very structured, but this is often required for the type of work.
In my role I found great job satisfaction and work flexibility. My main skill sets lie with project management, policy development and security/investigations. Well remunerated. Most interesting part of the job is that some of the projects given to me, I had never done before and I had to identifiy the emerging issues before I could examine any remedy. For example, I managed a project to put 117 state police at airports as AFP officers.
Pros
Work flexibility
Cons
None really