Queensland Rail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

Your average hard yaka job with cons and pro's to keep you interested and working for a government job was a form of job security as I was doing a set contract so I met a lot of people
Pros
Four day week with Friday's off because we worked an extra 2 hours a day to make up for Friday's
Cons
Very extreme weather wich we worked through
Bullying is rampant ! Fraud is rampant! Time sheet does not reflect work load! Management are f**kheads!(The FAT Controller) Union Thugs ! The waste of money on projects is phenomenal!
Pros
Meeting a few good people
Cons
If you don’t have knee pads and bow to the union your bullied!
QR has so many different career options and working for them gives good job security, pay and conditions. The management is really poor but the colleagues are really good so it doesn't really impact heavily on the work environment. I'd spend the rest of my career here.
Pros
Good pay, overtime, conditions, union
Cons
I thoroughly enjoyed working in the safety department. The employees from other divisions were supportive when asked to collaborate throughout the project.
poor management because of bad attitudes in dealing with staff, sensitiveness wrongly practice to meet the needs of the job and work practice. Favoritism.
I love the job love working with the people..but when I went over to kippa ring station it was good work with good people...but after being there about 8mths after being there 15mths they let me go with no reason but I think it's because my lease was up in Feb to be resign again but I busted my but off to get my work down every day
Look, we all have our views of QR. Most of them are flavoured by the press and public opinion. However, QR can be great; if you are prepared to make it great. Here are a few things to remember. 1. Most people who work there are outstanding professionals who love what they do. 2. You can get involved in lots of cool projects. 3. If you are good you can influence your team and get great outcomes. 4. If you listen and work hard you will get better at your job and be a more accomplished professional. 5. There are some not totally committed and not so good people and managers at QR. But that is the same at every workplace. 6. It is a bit of a slow mover organisationally. Don't expect to change things overnight, but that is the negative of working for one of the most highly scrutinised government agencies in the state. 7. Say what you will about the Union movement, but if you are an award level employee your job is safe, your pay is outstanding and your conditions are attractive. (And don't give me that garbage that the Unions are responsible for QR's inefficiencies or run the place - Union membership is actually really low. It is interfering Ministers, poor managers and an insatiable media that leads to QR's bad decisions and irregular failings because (see point 1) most people who work at QR are good at their jobs). 8. Your goal each day is very clear. Help people travel to work on a train. Simple goal. Easily measured. Success can be achieved. 9. You can find a niche at QR - A team, a role, a speciality and spend the rest of your career in that place becoming awesome - more...
Pros
Good conditions. Good colleagues.
Cons
The constant barrage of negative press and Ministerial interference can take its toll.
really good pace to work in the crews are well to work with I really enjoy working with Queensland have been looking to get back. the pay is really good.
the old cultures gone your cant say anything without someone getting offended and taking you to to management over stupid, my feelings were hurt. every one stabs every ones back for promotion.
I used to be team lead, enjoyed working with my team members of Officers. Give orientation to my teammates before starting the job and at the end of the job, collect all the completed statistics reports, uniforms and submit them to my Supervisor before going home.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Queensland Rail?
The most enjoyable part of the job is I can sit inside the train and work, whenever it's possible. I also stand up when needed. Counting passenger on and off the train was also enjoyable.
Pros
free travel pass from and to work
Cons
was a temporay job only, I wish it was a permanent job
The culture is a boys club. They bully staff and treat females unfairly. Even the Union is on QR's side. They play games with the Government and have an unreliable service that they fudge the figures on so that it appears that they are doing a good job.
The boss was abusive, many times we had to take luggage of a truck weighing more the 25 kilo's.. We were treated like slaves, very rarely we sat and ate our lunch most days we never had lunch
Staff was co-operative but the management in very poor and turnover is so high because of lack of communication. Associates advancement needs to be improve and job description should be more specific.
Managers bully constantly, HR manager abuses people, they allow bullying to occur I worked there for many years and in the end, I seen too many people leave due to mental health because of the managers lack of care. It's disgraceful.
Management isn't qualified to run the company with too many managers and too few people actually doing the work. Management flying by thr seat of their pants making decisions on the fly
When I started with Qld Rail as a Telecommunications Technician Level 2, I later advanced to Telecommunications Technician Level 3. The Communications Network at Qld Rail was mostly industrial communications incorporating, 2 way UHF Radio, LAN/WAN infrastructure/DMR/Microwave & Optic Fibre. Culture varied, but was acceptable. The hardest part was the Summertime heat and sultry weather (when I was based at Emerald, Qld)
Best company to work for.. if you're here for reassurance YES you do want to work for QR, and Yes they are a great employer with many opportunities. They have great support processes, great money, 5 weeks annual leave per year, plentiful overtime. People try to get in 30+ times.. so if you get past the interview process you're doing really well. Be prepared to clean and work well as a team
Throughly enjoyed my time working with QR. Great team environment. Great training. Each day was different....different locations, new people, various roles which kept the job exciting.
The team I worked with were professional and talented . Lack of communication from HR and Management. Out of date technology, still using unreliable paper files.
Location: I worked through out the network in various positions Despite being government, this organisation is semi-autonomous, full of nepotism and very open to corruption
  1. Employee Reviews