Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

old boys school
track worker (Former Employee) –  QLD3 February 2019
I love the people I work with. It's very hard to progress or put your point forward. QR is set in their own way and very hard to change even when they are wrong.
Pros
hardly work if you like wasting time
Cons
bad culture allthe the way to the top . Dont upset management or your out
Flexible working working hours
Train driver (Former Employee) –  Queensland2 January 2019
Started my career with Queensland Rail and enjoyed it immensely with job variety in different depots over Queensland, which gave a great grounding in different types of trains and driving techniques.
Pros
Shift wirk that was flexible
Cons
Nil
Good organisation to work for
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 November 2018
Large organisation with large variety of offices and depots. As a relief clerk you carry around your own blank time sheets book and spend most of your time travelling to and from smaller offices to relieve. When no relief is needed, you are sent somewhere or other to learn different jobs.
Pros
free train travel
New Manager to overhaul Finance team
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 September 2018
IPO documentation - primary contracted role
Analysis of previous financial data
create template for manager to review

ad hoc reconciliation templates - BS accounts
suggested write offs
Pros
hourly rate with recruiter not directly employed by QR
Cons
Reticent finance team to assist with transition
Pathetic recruitment process
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 July 2018
I applied for a customer service role and the interview process was projected to take 2 months, from May to July. No worries, I want in a hurry.

The first interview was with a group of fellow applicants for an info session that provided me with zero information, a short math test, and a 5 minute interview that was so vague I still can't understand what the point of it was.

A month after that I was invited to attend a panel interview. This was successful and I received very positive feedback. My referees were subsequently contacted and I again received positive feedback. I was then asked to order my own police check, which was annoying as they are $50 and I didn't have the job yet.

3 weeks after that, I received an email at 9.53pm on a Sunday night advising me that I was unsuccessful. Bizarre to receive an email of that nature outside business hours after I'd been made to think I was in with a good shot at the role.

I replied to thanks them for considering me, and asked if any feedback could be provided. I have not heard back, and don't expect to.

This saga has proven to me that QR really is just as incompetent as I suspected, and the pathetic train service might just be the tip of the inefficient iceberg.
Not bad, if family friends and life work balance is not important.
Customer Service, Communications officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 March 2018
Queensland Rail was great company to work for, the peers make the job, enjoyable.
They offer a great work life balance, this is not a true fact.
Customer Service officers were stressed and overworked, however guidelines with EPA were most times meet.

Overall, they had great leaders in place. This workplace is now not the same. The focus was Customer Service, this shift has now moved to on time running and bigger bonuses.
Pros
Pays is the only PRO
Cons
Demands of family, friends and life balance is second to company.
Best paying job, Best business, Best practises. Epic failure for work life balance
CUSTOMER SERVICE ATTENDANT / FINANCE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 March 2018
Depending on position and placement within the company its hard to describe a typical day and considering I have not worked for them in close to 3 years its hard to determine exactly what would be expected. Typically its as per your organised shift, however expect to always to be challenged with a fast paced moving company full of surprises, that being trains break down or nature or obstructions will emerge and it will bring your communication skills to the test and your ability to keep calm.

The great thing is you will alway be learning and paid to learn and the company is constantly changing and evolving some for the better some for the worse.

Management is great and but as every company a few bad apples you will figure them out eventually.

The Culture is centred on safety and its nice to know that you are being provided a safe work place, however do not point out the
non compliance.

The hardest part will be accepting even though your right its like having a relationship its best to just let it slide. Take that as advice.

The most enjoyable part is to come to work with an organisaation that is getting organised for the better and as plus they do recruit amazing people from all walks of life and really this is the highlight if you can handle being friends with your co workers.

Last but least, Reach for the Stars and apply and apply and apply and eventually you will find the opportunities and most of all create genuine relationships with these amazing people and doors will open to your surprise.

Be wise to never complain unless you are related to
  more... someone or have good relationships with HR.  less
Pros
Paid well and you are paid to learn.
Cons
Work life balance is constant follow up and you will most likely need to seek advice from HR. Sadly
Watch your back
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 March 2018
With Company this old and big, its obvious that they have set a slow tempo. I was there as a contractor, however, they had their own ways of doing things that I may not understand. Many time I have been intentionally misguided, I was stepped on, taken advantage of while others showed off their efficiencies on my behalf, putting me down.
Pros
Work balance and benefits
Cons
Restrictive to Change and always watch your back.
Favourite place to work
Railway Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt Isa QLD21 January 2018
I loved working on the rail I felt like I was born to to it from thermite welding to resurfacing I’ve done it all and would love the chance to come back and be a rail worker once more
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
There was none
Productive and fun place i like play footbaal
Queensland maintenance at cairns plaza hotel (Former Employee) –  Queensland15 December 2017
I would work 7 days out of 7 because without working I can not stay, for me it is not a problem to work on holidays and even a pleasure. I would like to learn a new job teaching. I hope to work in this company .cordiali sa luti
Pros
Free lunches
Heavy internal political influence
Program and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD29 November 2017
silo and blaming culture
influence with authority
assumption based decisions
avoid responsibility game
enormous difference between the communicated result and the reality
Security of the job was the best aspect of this GOC
Project facilitator (Former Employee) –  RC1, Brisbane City, Queensland27 November 2017
I learnt a lot working for Queensland Rail which is a Government Owned Coporation (GOC) which is much like the Metro rail system here in Los Angeles. I had the opportunity to work in many departments whilst employed here and gathered a broad range of skills that help me every day with other roles I have performed.
Pros
Security
Cons
Too political
Nothing progressive about the place full of old boys school
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 October 2017
Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money.

There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management
Image is everything
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD31 August 2017
Not very efficient. Seem to be more managers than people doing to work. Very male dominated culture and didn't feel like it was a very diverse supportive culture at all.
Friendly and well paid
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 June 2017
Great place to work with mostly friendly staff. Succession planning needs work as you will remain in the same role for years. Historical Leadership issues has allowed for a stagnate and negative organisational culture. Pay well above average and the perks to the job are envious. If you can learn to ignore some things then its a company you can work in for life.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great pay rate
Cons
Poor Leadership development, poor company culture, roles aren't clearly defined
Team atmosphere with support for individuals. Good cameraderie and interesting and varied tasks.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD20 June 2017
Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed.

Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible.

A good place to work.
good job secuirty
Train Examiner (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD8 February 2017
I started working as fettler on the railway tracks and I worked my up to a train examiner over a number of years and good job security
bosses shoud not have favourites
Hospitality/catering/operations (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton City QLD2 February 2017
great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.
Good for advancement and great benefits, poorly managed
Train Management Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  Jilalan Queensland30 January 2017
Safety oriented business in rail operations and passenger services. Good chances for promotion across streams and business sections. Excellent benefits and training.
Pros
quality training
Cons
Often poorly managed
Signals section is a terrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 January 2017
Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.
Pros
Do very little
Cons
Do not care about staff