Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

Best paying job, Best business, Best practises. Epic failure for work life balance
CUSTOMER SERVICE ATTENDANT / FINANCE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 March 2018
Depending on position and placement within the company its hard to describe a typical day and considering I have not worked for them in close to 3 years its hard to determine exactly what would be expected. Typically its as per your organised shift, however expect to always to be challenged with a fast paced moving company full of surprises, that being trains break down or nature or obstructions will emerge and it will bring your communication skills to the test and your ability to keep calm.

The great thing is you will alway be learning and paid to learn and the company is constantly changing and evolving some for the better some for the worse.

Management is great and but as every company a few bad apples you will figure them out eventually.

The Culture is centred on safety and its nice to know that you are being provided a safe work place, however do not point out the
non compliance.

The hardest part will be accepting even though your right its like having a relationship its best to just let it slide. Take that as advice.

The most enjoyable part is to come to work with an organisaation that is getting organised for the better and as plus they do recruit amazing people from all walks of life and really this is the highlight if you can handle being friends with your co workers.

Last but least, Reach for the Stars and apply and apply and apply and eventually you will find the opportunities and most of all create genuine relationships with these amazing people and doors will open to your surprise.

Be wise to never complain unless you are related to
  more... someone or have good relationships with HR.  less
Pros
Paid well and you are paid to learn.
Cons
Work life balance is constant follow up and you will most likely need to seek advice from HR. Sadly
Watch your back
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 March 2018
With Company this old and big, its obvious that they have set a slow tempo. I was there as a contractor, however, they had their own ways of doing things that I may not understand. Many time I have been intentionally misguided, I was stepped on, taken advantage of while others showed off their efficiencies on my behalf, putting me down.
Pros
Work balance and benefits
Cons
Restrictive to Change and always watch your back.
Favourite place to work
Railway Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt Isa QLD21 January 2018
I loved working on the rail I felt like I was born to to it from thermite welding to resurfacing I’ve done it all and would love the chance to come back and be a rail worker once more
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
There was none
Productive and fun place i like play footbaal
Queensland maintenance at cairns plaza hotel (Former Employee) –  Queensland15 December 2017
I would work 7 days out of 7 because without working I can not stay, for me it is not a problem to work on holidays and even a pleasure. I would like to learn a new job teaching. I hope to work in this company .cordiali sa luti
Pros
Free lunches
Heavy internal political influence
Program and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD29 November 2017
silo and blaming culture
influence with authority
assumption based decisions
avoid responsibility game
enormous difference between the communicated result and the reality
Security of the job was the best aspect of this GOC
Project facilitator (Former Employee) –  RC1, Brisbane City, Queensland27 November 2017
I learnt a lot working for Queensland Rail which is a Government Owned Coporation (GOC) which is much like the Metro rail system here in Los Angeles. I had the opportunity to work in many departments whilst employed here and gathered a broad range of skills that help me every day with other roles I have performed.
Pros
Security
Cons
Too political
Nothing progressive about the place full of old boys school
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 October 2017
Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money.

There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management
Image is everything
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD31 August 2017
Not very efficient. Seem to be more managers than people doing to work. Very male dominated culture and didn't feel like it was a very diverse supportive culture at all.
Friendly and well paid
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 June 2017
Great place to work with mostly friendly staff. Succession planning needs work as you will remain in the same role for years. Historical Leadership issues has allowed for a stagnate and negative organisational culture. Pay well above average and the perks to the job are envious. If you can learn to ignore some things then its a company you can work in for life.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great pay rate
Cons
Poor Leadership development, poor company culture, roles aren't clearly defined
Team atmosphere with support for individuals. Good cameraderie and interesting and varied tasks.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD20 June 2017
Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed.

Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible.

A good place to work.

Want to know more about Queensland Rail?

Ask a question
good job secuirty
Train Examiner (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD8 February 2017
I started working as fettler on the railway tracks and I worked my up to a train examiner over a number of years and good job security
bosses shoud not have favourites
Hospitality/catering/operations (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton City QLD2 February 2017
great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.
Good for advancement and great benefits, poorly managed
Train Management Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  Jilalan Queensland30 January 2017
Safety oriented business in rail operations and passenger services. Good chances for promotion across streams and business sections. Excellent benefits and training.
Pros
quality training
Cons
Often poorly managed
Signals section is a terrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 January 2017
Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.
Pros
Do very little
Cons
Do not care about staff
Rail Worker (Former Employee) –  Dysart QLD7 January 2017
Very ongoing work very productive n a great workplace. The team was good to work with. Hardest part was working outside all the time which I didn't mean
Well equipped Depot with state of the art facilities.
Locomotive Maintainer II (Former Employee) –  Redland QLD8 June 2016
A typical day was usually filled with variety which made going to work an enjoyable experience. I learned a great deal about what it meant to be part of a successful team. My co-workers and immediate supervisor/manager were easy to get along with and had a good rapport with each other and myself.
Pros
Active social club and great working conditions.
Cons
Working weekends
Challenging yet benefical
Diesel Fitter (Current Employee) –  Banyo QLD14 April 2016
I currently work away 9/5 days. I have taken this role on as no one else was willing to volunteere for such a challenge and i have come to be succesful in this role and reliable. it has taught me to grow and mature and most importnaly the saftey aspect of working in a trade. i work with one other a majortiy of the time and we have become close freinds. the other part of the work period i spend with a large team of re-sleepering. i have learnt how to work in a team and i have also learnt many manners and approches on any one situation from all of the individuals. the hardest part of the job is not the job itself but being away from my family. however the most enjoyable part is travelinng the regional areas of queensland and becoming confident and proud in my work.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Being away from my young family
good money, stressful
LOCOMOTIVE DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD15 February 2016
not a very physically challenging job but very mentally stressful. good money and good hours, the only let down was support in personal issues
A good place to work but takes time to get any advancement forward
Track Resurfacing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD15 November 2015
A workplace that can be harsh to work at on certain days. Very safety orientated and safety co- ordinated workplace. Most workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
Very safety driven workplace
Cons
Management could support supervisors more
Public company turned Private
Contractor - MS Access/VBA Developer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 November 2015
I was there helping with the severance packages cost following the public to private transition where a lot of people were made redundant.
It was a very specific job developing MS Access and PDF reports on a monthly basis for the heads of Finance and HR.
The timing was tight and everything had to be done "yesterday" attitude.
It was a bit stressful.
Otherwise the management was excellent providing good instructions about their needs.
Didn't even receive free passes on public transportation...