Queensland Rail

Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

Australia90 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Network Control Officer Mayne

Great place to work..... Mostly. Used to be a lot better back in the day. The colleagues are amazing and there is almost an over commitment to safety. QR knee jerks all it's safety standards off of past incidents so they're excessive.Pay is good/amazing however management are trash. They promote people who have no interpersonal skills so you're left with cold unhelpful and rude managers that want to throw you under the bus at any chance. We got marked off on an attendance sheet at the start and end of our shifts like a child at school so yeah that's the type of managers they have. They Trust us with millions of dollars of infrastructure and the safeworking of the network but mark us off on a roll like children.

Pros

Pay and benefits, strong union

Cons

Awful management

Excellent perks and salary, horrible work culture and poor management

Positives - Excellent salary providing stability, great perks of travelling and leisure during layovers. Negatives - Extreme lack of support between colleagues especially with new staff. Toxic bullying within the work environment. Managements lack of awareness with what actually goes on onboard the train therefore lacking the support needed towards vulnerable employees.The bad work culture makes the positives not worth it.

Nice people. Good team environment.People wanting to work together to achieve the one goal - get passengers from one place to another on time. Really enjoyable work.

Wrong people in management

If you can live with staff favouritism, advancements for family and friends and bosses instead of leaders then this is the place for you. Bosses are so unprofessional it’s shameful to say I used to work for them.

Pros

Good pay and honest professional CEO

Cons

Favouritism and unprofessional when bosses use informants to know what other staff are doing.

having lunch.

very long day.safety was great.very good.long day overtime.day time work was hard.but night time was quite.working with great people and getting known them.was pesonal.

Pros

lunch time smoker at 9.00am lunch 11.00 after noon smoker at 2.00

Cons

overtime 12hr

Job security was ok

Your average hard yaka job with cons and pro's to keep you interested and working for a government job was a form of job security as I was doing a set contract so I met a lot of people

Pros

Four day week with Friday's off because we worked an extra 2 hours a day to make up for Friday's

Cons

Very extreme weather wich we worked through

Poor working environment

Bullying is rampant ! Fraud is rampant! Time sheet does not reflect work load! Management are f**kheads!(The FAT Controller) Union Thugs ! The waste of money on projects is phenomenal!

Pros

Meeting a few good people

Cons

If you don’t have knee pads and bow to the union your bullied!

QR is a good employer with really good pay and condition

QR has so many different career options and working for them gives good job security, pay and conditions. The management is really poor but the colleagues are really good so it doesn't really impact heavily on the work environment. I'd spend the rest of my career here.

Pros

Good pay, overtime, conditions, union

Cons

Relaxed and supportive workplace with a friendly culture

I thoroughly enjoyed working in the safety department. The employees from other divisions were supportive when asked to collaborate throughout the project.

strong presence of racial discrimination. politicking, unfair competition

poor management because of bad attitudes in dealing with staff, sensitiveness wrongly practice to meet the needs of the job and work practice. Favoritism.

Well well

I love the job love working with the people..but when I went over to kippa ring station it was good work with good people...but after being there about 8mths after being there 15mths they let me go with no reason but I think it's because my lease was up in Feb to be resign again but I busted my but off to get my work down every day

QR Can be a Great Career Move

Look, we all have our views of QR. Most of them are flavoured by the press and public opinion. However, QR can be great; if you are prepared to make it great. Here are a few things to remember. 1. Most people who work there are outstanding professionals who love what they do. 2. You can get involved in lots of cool projects. 3. If you are good you can influence your team and get great outcomes. 4. If you listen and work hard you will get better at your job and be a more accomplished professional. 5. There are some not totally committed and not so good people and managers at QR. But that is the same at every workplace. 6. It is a bit of a slow mover organisationally. Don't expect to change things overnight, but that is the negative of working for one of the most highly scrutinised government agencies in the state. 7. Say what you will about the Union movement, but if you are an award level employee your job is safe, your pay is outstanding and your conditions are attractive. (And don't give me that garbage that the Unions are responsible for QR's inefficiencies or run the place - Union membership is actually really low. It is interfering Ministers, poor managers and an insatiable media that leads to QR's bad decisions and irregular failings because (see point 1) most people who work at QR are good at their jobs). 8. Your goal each day is very clear. Help people travel to work on a train. Simple goal. Easily measured. Success can be achieved. 9. You can find a niche at QR - A team, a role, a speciality and spend the rest of your career in that place becoming awesome -

Pros

Good conditions. Good colleagues.

Cons

The constant barrage of negative press and Ministerial interference can take its toll.

really enjoyable

really good pace to work in the crews are well to work with I really enjoy working with Queensland have been looking to get back. the pay is really good.

your a number not a name therefore easily replaced

the old cultures gone your cant say anything without someone getting offended and taking you to to management over stupid, my feelings were hurt. every one stabs every ones back for promotion.

Job involves standing and attentive.

I used to be team lead, enjoyed working with my team members of Officers. Give orientation to my teammates before starting the job and at the end of the job, collect all the completed statistics reports, uniforms and submit them to my Supervisor before going home.

The most enjoyable part of the job

The most enjoyable part of the job is I can sit inside the train and work, whenever it's possible. I also stand up when needed. Counting passenger on and off the train was also enjoyable.

Pros

free travel pass from and to work

Cons

was a temporay job only, I wish it was a permanent job

If you are female, forget it!

The culture is a boys club. They bully staff and treat females unfairly. Even the Union is on QR's side. They play games with the Government and have an unreliable service that they fudge the figures on so that it appears that they are doing a good job.

Queensland rail is a place were i would never work there again

The boss was abusive, many times we had to take luggage of a truck weighing more the 25 kilo's.. We were treated like slaves, very rarely we sat and ate our lunch most days we never had lunch

You meet every day new people and they give you new ideas every time you meet them.

Staff was co-operative but the management in very poor and turnover is so high because of lack of communication. Associates advancement needs to be improve and job description should be more specific.

Extreme bullying

Managers bully constantly, HR manager abuses people, they allow bullying to occur I worked there for many years and in the end, I seen too many people leave due to mental health because of the managers lack of care. It's disgraceful.

Not the best company to work for

Management isn't qualified to run the company with too many managers and too few people actually doing the work. Management flying by thr seat of their pants making decisions on the fly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Rail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Queensland Rail with