Queensland Rail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Rail Employee Reviews in Brisbane QLD

poor management because of bad attitudes in dealing with staff, sensitiveness wrongly practice to meet the needs of the job and work practice. Favoritism.
Bullying is rampant ! Fraud is rampant! Time sheet does not reflect work load! Management are f**kheads!(The FAT Controller) Union Thugs ! The waste of money on projects is phenomenal!
Pros
Meeting a few good people
Cons
If you don’t have knee pads and bow to the union your bullied!
I thoroughly enjoyed working in the safety department. The employees from other divisions were supportive when asked to collaborate throughout the project.
Look, we all have our views of QR. Most of them are flavoured by the press and public opinion. However, QR can be great; if you are prepared to make it great. Here are a few things to remember. 1. Most people who work there are outstanding professionals who love what they do. 2. You can get involved in lots of cool projects. 3. If you are good you can influence your team and get great outcomes. 4. If you listen and work hard you will get better at your job and be a more accomplished professional. 5. There are some not totally committed and not so good people and managers at QR. But that is the same at every workplace. 6. It is a bit of a slow mover organisationally. Don't expect to change things overnight, but that is the negative of working for one of the most highly scrutinised government agencies in the state. 7. Say what you will about the Union movement, but if you are an award level employee your job is safe, your pay is outstanding and your conditions are attractive. (And don't give me that garbage that the Unions are responsible for QR's inefficiencies or run the place - Union membership is actually really low. It is interfering Ministers, poor managers and an insatiable media that leads to QR's bad decisions and irregular failings because (see point 1) most people who work at QR are good at their jobs). 8. Your goal each day is very clear. Help people travel to work on a train. Simple goal. Easily measured. Success can be achieved. 9. You can find a niche at QR - A team, a role, a speciality and spend the rest of your career in that place becoming awesome - more...
Pros
Good conditions. Good colleagues.
Cons
The constant barrage of negative press and Ministerial interference can take its toll.
the old cultures gone your cant say anything without someone getting offended and taking you to to management over stupid, my feelings were hurt. every one stabs every ones back for promotion.
I used to be team lead, enjoyed working with my team members of Officers. Give orientation to my teammates before starting the job and at the end of the job, collect all the completed statistics reports, uniforms and submit them to my Supervisor before going home.
The most enjoyable part of the job is I can sit inside the train and work, whenever it's possible. I also stand up when needed. Counting passenger on and off the train was also enjoyable.
Pros
free travel pass from and to work
Cons
was a temporay job only, I wish it was a permanent job
Staff was co-operative but the management in very poor and turnover is so high because of lack of communication. Associates advancement needs to be improve and job description should be more specific.
Managers bully constantly, HR manager abuses people, they allow bullying to occur I worked there for many years and in the end, I seen too many people leave due to mental health because of the managers lack of care. It's disgraceful.
Throughly enjoyed my time working with QR. Great team environment. Great training. Each day was different....different locations, new people, various roles which kept the job exciting.
The team I worked with were professional and talented . Lack of communication from HR and Management. Out of date technology, still using unreliable paper files.
Location: I worked through out the network in various positions Despite being government, this organisation is semi-autonomous, full of nepotism and very open to corruption
I loved working at Queensland Rail as i enjoyed my time working in the company. I learned team working and how to properly deal with customers workplace culture was so good and i loved it the hardest part of my job was relocating from one office to another the most enjoyable part of my job was fixing an issue
Pros
nice lunch room
Cons
short term contract
My first full time job was a great stepping stone.They look after their employers with first home loans salarie sacrifices car loans to get you ready for your future
Pros
Bbqs beers team bulding
Cons
Needed knee pads to get over time
Large organisation with large variety of offices and depots. As a relief clerk you carry around your own blank time sheets book and spend most of your time travelling to and from smaller offices to relieve. When no relief is needed, you are sent somewhere or other to learn different jobs.
Pros
free train travel
Cons
I applied for a customer service role and the interview process was projected to take 2 months, from May to July. No worries, I want in a hurry. The first interview was with a group of fellow applicants for an info session that provided me with zero information, a short math test, and a 5 minute interview that was so vague I still can't understand what the point of it was. A month after that I was invited to attend a panel interview. This was successful and I received very positive feedback. My referees were subsequently contacted and I again received positive feedback. I was then asked to order my own police check, which was annoying as they are $50 and I didn't have the job yet. 3 weeks after that, I received an email at 9.53pm on a Sunday night advising me that I was unsuccessful. Bizarre to receive an email of that nature outside business hours after I'd been made to think I was in with a good shot at the role. I replied to thanks them for considering me, and asked if any feedback could be provided. I have not heard back, and don't expect to. This saga has proven to me that QR really is just as incompetent as I suspected, and the pathetic train service might just be the tip of the inefficient iceberg.
Queensland Rail was great company to work for, the peers make the job, enjoyable. They offer a great work life balance, this is not a true fact. Customer Service officers were stressed and overworked, however guidelines with EPA were most times meet. Overall, they had great leaders in place. This workplace is now not the same. The focus was Customer Service, this shift has now moved to on time running and bigger bonuses.
Pros
Pays is the only PRO
Cons
Demands of family, friends and life balance is second to company.
Depending on position and placement within the company its hard to describe a typical day and considering I have not worked for them in close to 3 years its hard to determine exactly what would be expected. Typically its as per your organised shift, however expect to always to be challenged with a fast paced moving company full of surprises, that being trains break down or nature or obstructions will emerge and it will bring your communication skills to the test and your ability to keep calm. The great thing is you will alway be learning and paid to learn and the company is constantly changing and evolving some for the better some for the worse. Management is great and but as every company a few bad apples you will figure them out eventually. The Culture is centred on safety and its nice to know that you are being provided a safe work place, however do not point out the non compliance. The hardest part will be accepting even though your right its like having a relationship its best to just let it slide. Take that as advice. The most enjoyable part is to come to work with an organisaation that is getting organised for the better and as plus they do recruit amazing people from all walks of life and really this is the highlight if you can handle being friends with your co workers. Last but least, Reach for the Stars and apply and apply and apply and eventually you will find the opportunities and most of all create genuine relationships with these amazing people and doors will open to your surprise. Be wise to never complain unless you are related to - more...
Pros
Paid well and you are paid to learn.
Cons
Work life balance is constant follow up and you will most likely need to seek advice from HR. Sadly
With Company this old and big, its obvious that they have set a slow tempo. I was there as a contractor, however, they had their own ways of doing things that I may not understand. Many time I have been intentionally misguided, I was stepped on, taken advantage of while others showed off their efficiencies on my behalf, putting me down.
Pros
Work balance and benefits
Cons
Restrictive to Change and always watch your back.
I learnt a lot working for Queensland Rail which is a Government Owned Coporation (GOC) which is much like the Metro rail system here in Los Angeles. I had the opportunity to work in many departments whilst employed here and gathered a broad range of skills that help me every day with other roles I have performed.
Pros
Security
Cons
Too political
Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money. There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management