Queensland Rail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Rail Employee Reviews for Track Worker

Track Worker7 reviews
Australia7 reviews
I love the people I work with. It's very hard to progress or put your point forward. QR is set in their own way and very hard to change even when they are wrong.
Pros
hardly work if you like wasting time
Cons
bad culture allthe the way to the top . Dont upset management or your out
The best job I ever had as a thermite welder and track worker.
Very good people to work with, having a time always with family is a must, very good environment with a social life in a small town.
Good place to work. Many people always to lend a hand and their experience. They hold a high safety policy. Management a fare and good to work with.
Pros
good people to work with
Work role included maintenance and construction of new and existing track systems from crossovers, road crossings, re-railing, access roads, drainage, formation repairs and upgrading track in station yards, bridges, loading and unloading loops. Co-workers were easy to get along with. What I liked about this job was traveling to different locations to work.
A typical day at work would start off with a work and site briefing. As well as a site safety briefing. Then the preparation of foundations followed by the construction of sections of rail and sleepers. In my position in the railway I was educated in the process of training fellow workers how to use machinery correctly as in maintenance and operation. I learned how to follow procedures set out by management as well as many other skills. Being the Health and Safety Rep gave me the opportunity to work hand in hand with management to make the job as a trackworker not only safer but more productive. Working in a track production gang gives you a different perspective compared other types of jobs due to the fact you work as a team the better you all get along the more enjoyable it is to go to work. The hardest part of the job when working on the rail corridor would be the heat when it is the middle of summer. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the tasks completed and to know you had something to with this railway line is that it would more than likely still be there for years to come.
Cons
A lot of away from home work.
Familiarize with security procedures. opening closing operations.
Possess well developed communication and networking skills.

respond to telephone, two way systems, security videos. counter inquiries.

patient and tactful when dealing with people of all ages. skill in listening (eye contact, feelings, questioning) . relating to people of different cultures. conflict resolution, and problem solving.
Pros
mature and tactful approach when dealing with people in a warm and professional manner
Cons
conflict resolutions, listening, problem solving
I had really good time within the QR 3msrg (mechanised sleeper removal gang) I enjoyed my time at QR only I had to leave as for a personal matter on site when a friend who had passed away on the return to camp one afternoon
Pros
good payrate `