Queensland Rail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Rail Management reviews

poor management because of bad attitudes in dealing with staff, sensitiveness wrongly practice to meet the needs of the job and work practice. Favoritism.
Bullying is rampant ! Fraud is rampant! Time sheet does not reflect work load! Management are f**kheads!(The FAT Controller) Union Thugs ! The waste of money on projects is phenomenal!
Pros
Meeting a few good people
Cons
If you don’t have knee pads and bow to the union your bullied!
QR has so many different career options and working for them gives good job security, pay and conditions. The management is really poor but the colleagues are really good so it doesn't really impact heavily on the work environment. I'd spend the rest of my career here.
Pros
Good pay, overtime, conditions, union
Cons
the old cultures gone your cant say anything without someone getting offended and taking you to to management over stupid, my feelings were hurt. every one stabs every ones back for promotion.
The culture is a boys club. They bully staff and treat females unfairly. Even the Union is on QR's side. They play games with the Government and have an unreliable service that they fudge the figures on so that it appears that they are doing a good job.
Staff was co-operative but the management in very poor and turnover is so high because of lack of communication. Associates advancement needs to be improve and job description should be more specific.
Managers bully constantly, HR manager abuses people, they allow bullying to occur I worked there for many years and in the end, I seen too many people leave due to mental health because of the managers lack of care. It's disgraceful.
Management isn't qualified to run the company with too many managers and too few people actually doing the work. Management flying by thr seat of their pants making decisions on the fly
The team I worked with were professional and talented . Lack of communication from HR and Management. Out of date technology, still using unreliable paper files.
I enjoyed my time at Queensland rail and have made many great friends. My management team was extremely supportive and encourages learning new skills and different roles within the department. They always made time to say hello and catchup and generally make you feel welcome. My former colleagues are awesome people whom make the workplace a fun and enjoyable place to be and I am still friends with many of them. The downside is the extremely rigid rules and regulations in addition to the job being shift work which isn't for everyone. Also, another downer are the psychometric tests that you have to pass in order to even get most jobs there. All in all, Queensland rail is a great place to work if you can handle it but like I said, it isn't for everyone.
Pros
great pay and great people.
Cons
Shift work, psychometric testing for most positions and strict rules and guidelines and security.
I love the people I work with. It's very hard to progress or put your point forward. QR is set in their own way and very hard to change even when they are wrong.
Pros
hardly work if you like wasting time
Cons
bad culture allthe the way to the top . Dont upset management or your out
Depending on position and placement within the company its hard to describe a typical day and considering I have not worked for them in close to 3 years its hard to determine exactly what would be expected. Typically its as per your organised shift, however expect to always to be challenged with a fast paced moving company full of surprises, that being trains break down or nature or obstructions will emerge and it will bring your communication skills to the test and your ability to keep calm. The great thing is you will alway be learning and paid to learn and the company is constantly changing and evolving some for the better some for the worse. Management is great and but as every company a few bad apples you will figure them out eventually. The Culture is centred on safety and its nice to know that you are being provided a safe work place, however do not point out the non compliance. The hardest part will be accepting even though your right its like having a relationship its best to just let it slide. Take that as advice. The most enjoyable part is to come to work with an organisaation that is getting organised for the better and as plus they do recruit amazing people from all walks of life and really this is the highlight if you can handle being friends with your co workers. Last but least, Reach for the Stars and apply and apply and apply and eventually you will find the opportunities and most of all create genuine relationships with these amazing people and doors will open to your surprise. Be wise to never complain unless you are related to - more...
Pros
Paid well and you are paid to learn.
Cons
Work life balance is constant follow up and you will most likely need to seek advice from HR. Sadly
silo and blaming culture influence with authority assumption based decisions avoid responsibility game enormous difference between the communicated result and the reality
Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money. There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management
Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed. Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible. A good place to work.
great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.
Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.
Pros
Do very little
Cons
Do not care about staff
A workplace that can be harsh to work at on certain days. Very safety orientated and safety co- ordinated workplace. Most workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
Very safety driven workplace
Cons
Management could support supervisors more
I was there helping with the severance packages cost following the public to private transition where a lot of people were made redundant. It was a very specific job developing MS Access and PDF reports on a monthly basis for the heads of Finance and HR. The timing was tight and everything had to be done "yesterday" attitude. It was a bit stressful. Otherwise the management was excellent providing good instructions about their needs. Didn't even receive free passes on public transportation...
Good place to work. Many people always to lend a hand and their experience. They hold a high safety policy. Management a fare and good to work with.
Pros
good people to work with
I enjoyed working with the staff, the customers, the management and all external contacts and the responsibility of the logistics to run the train on time and supply excellent customer service throughout each long distance journey that I travelled in the past 8 years. I learnt that I was capable of providing my skills in several areas including fixing anything broken on a moving train and to liaise with control and maintenance and operational staff of the corrective actions required upon arrival at stations along the way and finally the destination. Unfortunately the best part of the job became the hardest to overcome for my family and was constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years and this molehill became a mountain My jobs included:- On board Services Technician ( Electrician) Passenger Services Supervisor Passenger Attendant Senior Catering Attendant
Pros
Free meals, travel queensland, layover at cities until next job
Cons
constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years