Queensland Rail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Rail Management reviews

Australia84 reviews

Clear
3.6Work–Life Balance

strong presence of racial discrimination. politicking, unfair competition

poor management because of bad attitudes in dealing with staff, sensitiveness wrongly practice to meet the needs of the job and work practice. Favoritism.

Wrong people in management

If you can live with staff favouritism, advancements for family and friends and bosses instead of leaders then this is the place for you. Bosses are so unprofessional it’s shameful to say I used to work for them.

Pros

Good pay and honest professional CEO

Cons

Favouritism and unprofessional when bosses use informants to know what other staff are doing.

Poor working environment

Bullying is rampant ! Fraud is rampant! Time sheet does not reflect work load! Management are f**kheads!(The FAT Controller) Union Thugs ! The waste of money on projects is phenomenal!

Pros

Meeting a few good people

Cons

If you don’t have knee pads and bow to the union your bullied!

QR is a good employer with really good pay and condition

QR has so many different career options and working for them gives good job security, pay and conditions. The management is really poor but the colleagues are really good so it doesn't really impact heavily on the work environment. I'd spend the rest of my career here.

Pros

Good pay, overtime, conditions, union

Cons

your a number not a name therefore easily replaced

the old cultures gone your cant say anything without someone getting offended and taking you to to management over stupid, my feelings were hurt. every one stabs every ones back for promotion.

If you are female, forget it!

The culture is a boys club. They bully staff and treat females unfairly. Even the Union is on QR's side. They play games with the Government and have an unreliable service that they fudge the figures on so that it appears that they are doing a good job.

Queensland rail is a place were i would never work there again

The boss was abusive, many times we had to take luggage of a truck weighing more the 25 kilo's.. We were treated like slaves, very rarely we sat and ate our lunch most days we never had lunch

You meet every day new people and they give you new ideas every time you meet them.

Staff was co-operative but the management in very poor and turnover is so high because of lack of communication. Associates advancement needs to be improve and job description should be more specific.

Extreme bullying

Managers bully constantly, HR manager abuses people, they allow bullying to occur I worked there for many years and in the end, I seen too many people leave due to mental health because of the managers lack of care. It's disgraceful.

Not the best company to work for

Management isn't qualified to run the company with too many managers and too few people actually doing the work. Management flying by thr seat of their pants making decisions on the fly

Lack of communication

The team I worked with were professional and talented . Lack of communication from HR and Management. Out of date technology, still using unreliable paper files.

great place to work either unsupervised or within a great team

I enjoyed my time at Queensland rail and have made many great friends. My management team was extremely supportive and encourages learning new skills and different roles within the department. They always made time to say hello and catchup and generally make you feel welcome. My former colleagues are awesome people whom make the workplace a fun and enjoyable place to be and I am still friends with many of them. The downside is the extremely rigid rules and regulations in addition to the job being shift work which isn't for everyone. Also, another downer are the psychometric tests that you have to pass in order to even get most jobs there. All in all, Queensland rail is a great place to work if you can handle it but like I said, it isn't for everyone.

Pros

great pay and great people.

Cons

Shift work, psychometric testing for most positions and strict rules and guidelines and security.

old boys school

I love the people I work with. It's very hard to progress or put your point forward. QR is set in their own way and very hard to change even when they are wrong.

Pros

hardly work if you like wasting time

Cons

bad culture allthe the way to the top . Dont upset management or your out

Best paying job, Best business, Best practises. Epic failure for work life balance

Depending on position and placement within the company its hard to describe a typical day and considering I have not worked for them in close to 3 years its hard to determine exactly what would be expected. Typically its as per your organised shift, however expect to always to be challenged with a fast paced moving company full of surprises, that being trains break down or nature or obstructions will emerge and it will bring your communication skills to the test and your ability to keep calm. The great thing is you will alway be learning and paid to learn and the company is constantly changing and evolving some for the better some for the worse. Management is great and but as every company a few bad apples you will figure them out eventually. The Culture is centred on safety and its nice to know that you are being provided a safe work place, however do not point out the non compliance. The hardest part will be accepting even though your right its like having a relationship its best to just let it slide. Take that as advice. The most enjoyable part is to come to work with an organisaation that is getting organised for the better and as plus they do recruit amazing people from all walks of life and really this is the highlight if you can handle being friends with your co workers. Last but least, Reach for the Stars and apply and apply and apply and eventually you will find the opportunities and most of all create genuine relationships with these amazing people and doors will open to your surprise. Be wise to never complain unless you are related to -

Pros

Paid well and you are paid to learn.

Cons

Work life balance is constant follow up and you will most likely need to seek advice from HR. Sadly

Heavy internal political influence

silo and blaming culture influence with authority assumption based decisions avoid responsibility game enormous difference between the communicated result and the reality

Nothing progressive about the place full of old boys school

Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money. There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.

Pros

Cons

Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management

Team atmosphere with support for individuals. Good cameraderie and interesting and varied tasks.

Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed. Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible. A good place to work.

bosses shoud not have favourites

great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.

Signals section is a terrible place to work

Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.

Pros

Do very little

Cons

Do not care about staff

A good place to work but takes time to get any advancement forward

A workplace that can be harsh to work at on certain days. Very safety orientated and safety co- ordinated workplace. Most workers are easy to get along with.

Pros

Very safety driven workplace

Cons

Management could support supervisors more

Public company turned Private

I was there helping with the severance packages cost following the public to private transition where a lot of people were made redundant. It was a very specific job developing MS Access and PDF reports on a monthly basis for the heads of Finance and HR. The timing was tight and everything had to be done "yesterday" attitude. It was a bit stressful. Otherwise the management was excellent providing good instructions about their needs. Didn't even receive free passes on public transportation...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Rail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Queensland Rail