Queensland University of Technology Employee Reviews

Fun place to go to school
STUDENT EXCHANGE & STUDY ABROAD (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 November 2018
QUT was a great place to study abroad, and would be for any student. The campus is beautiful as is the surrounding area, and the people around there are wonderful.
Good environment to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  QLD11 November 2018
I worked for the Indigenous Unit at QUT, where academic support is provided to the students with their university study and supporting them in other matters that arise. We ensured that the students had a safe place and support in place for them to achieve their grades in their degrees/higher education.
Good facilities, good research, not so good culture/leadership
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Brisbane City QLD8 November 2018
The Gardens Point campus is located nicely next to the botanical gardens with walking distance to the CBD.

Some buildings are already refurbished and these very nice to work in, mostly though in open-office plans, and not enough meeting rooms to work in, which does not work well for research (everyone on my floor bought noise-cancelling headphones).

The focus areas (as seen by the upper management) are well funded and attract top talent, not just nationwide but also internationally.

There is an issue with leadership and bureaucracy. People seem to have no responsibility or are not strong enough to make decisions. Worse sometimes commitments are back-paddled. Which does not build trust and has negative effects on the overall culture.

On the other hand staff are also not trusted and bureaucracy is taking over a significant amount of time.
Pros
some nice faciltiies, good colleagues
Cons
no trust, too much bureaucracy, not open and/or clear about personal career advancement
Good work environment
Higher Degree Researcher (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 October 2018
Working at QUT was fun. There are a wide range of social facilities which make working a bit less stressing. On a typical day, I reported to office by 09:00 and then take a 15 min coffee break. Lunch time at the food court at 13:00 was an opportunity to meet office colleagues.
Fantastic, supportive environment
Assistant Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD24 September 2018
Offered a supportive placement. Management were always approachable and helped with your role.

Campus was well maintained, accessible and catered well to people with disabilities and cultural needs.
A very supportive workplace
Queensland (Former Employee) –  Queensland17 September 2018
As a higher education research student, I received much support from supervisory, administration and technical staff. There is great opportunity to explore different investigation techniques with training in the appropriate technologies.
The most difficult part of this type of work is that you are required to generate and maintain your own direction and focus. From time to time the staff are unable to find suitable expertise to help with enquiries so the students must work this out for themselves. The best part of the job is interacting with technical staff who always take a lot of interest in the projects and the technologies involved.
Pros
A great opportunity to advance
Cons
Scholarships do not pay well
Excellent university
Student Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane City QLD12 September 2018
I did not work in QUT, just student in QUT. It is a good university, and learned many knowleges about mechanical egineering. Therefore, I will recommend it.
Quick in and out job
photographer (Current Employee) –  Kelvin Grove QLD12 September 2018
Awesome location to work, I dont feel i have learnt 'new skills' but have had the time freedom and support to build on my own business ideas/ skills.

I enjoy the friendly atmosphere and the support of staff members.
Pros
centre location, staff are friendly and helpful and the hours are very flexible
Cons
contract hours rare
Student Nurse
Student Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD20 August 2018
As a student I found ample opportunity to discuss and communicate with tutors and professors. during Placement the facilitators were easily accessable and willing to help.
Backwards work environment, geared toward meaningless KPI's
specialist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 August 2018
This is an environment where you will be required to accept less money and fewer benefits than working in just about any other sector.
In a view to appearing cutting edge, this organisation boasts about its unethically biased management goals rather than supporting and encouraging advancements. This is what happens when an organisation loses sight of its core purpose.
Pros
Great variety of projects
Cons
Dishonesty. Significant undervaluing of staff.
Productive work place and kind people
Student Presenter (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 June 2018
I have learned how to present a presentation at an international conference and how to present my emotion during the period. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can have the great opportunity to know experts from WHO and learn new ideas from them.
Pros
Free lunches
Open and accepting
Lecturer/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 May 2018
Depending on the group you were with the culture was open and accepting. This was not the case in all environments, but true for the most part. People are accepting and tolerant of differences and even thoughtful and supportive.
Pros
The people
Cons
The people
Summary Review
Widening Participation Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 February 2018
The main objective of this job is to encourage more students from under-represented groups (such as low economic status, rural and Indigenous students) to study Law or Justice at university. We are dedicated to increasing enrolments from students who may not feel that they have the opportunity at university. One way we try to achieve this is by travelling to schools and conducting workshops for Year 6 to 12 students with faculty-specific activities throughout the day. At these sessions we tell the students our stories and the journey we took to get to university. This is to show the students that we are not really all that different to them and to inspire them with our powerful stories.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Was never recalled back in for another shift and not given notice or a reason why.
I learned a lot through all challenges I went through.
Academic Staff (Postdoctoral Research Fellow) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 February 2018
Supportive environment; salary package is good; some of the staff are incompetent but in general, most staff are highly efficient; workplace culture was excellent; hardest part of the job was working beyond work hours; most enjoyable part was getting good support in all aspects of my job
Pros
comfortable working space
Cons
Good environment with excellent benefits
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 February 2018
professional academic environment with excellent employee benefits, fair pay and opportunities for growth. good workplace culture and good communication from upper tier management. Excellent IT support.
Progressive Academic Environment
PART TIME EMPLOYMENT (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 January 2018
Enjoyable place to work with a good level of support. Provides reasonable opportunities. Some very good unit coordinators and some mediocre calibre.
Generally a good place to work
Laboratory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane20 December 2017
Workloads can be high and hours long, but compared to other companies, the salary can balance out those cons.
Work hard and you're generally rewarded for it.
Depending upon your position at this workplace and the hierarchy, your place within the university is unlikely to be permanent or secure.
Having to rely upon contract renewals can be stressful.
Pros
Regular salary increases
Cons
Very rewarding project well managed
Business Strategist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 November 2017
An excellent contract 3 mths on a elearning portal project.
The project was very challenging and successful. The manager was extremely efficient and caring.

One of the best projects I have ever performed.
Pros
excellent remote working abilities and management
Cons
A fast-paced workplace, with a great deal of attention to detail.
Serials Assistant, QUT Library (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 June 2017
Full workdays in a role as an Office Administrator and Library Technician. Attention to detail and the ability to work autonomously and follow written instructions were vital. A happy workplace with a friendly and inclusive team.
Pros
Positive workplace culture.
Cons
Some repetitive tasks.
Good place to work, however lack of shifts available.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 June 2017
Queensland University of Technology gives students the opportunity to learn whilst also working. QUT gives many opportunities including one to get a blue card. However there is a lack of shifts available, meaning this must be held as a side job.
Pros
Hourly Pay
Cons
Unpredicatable Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2