Queensland University of Technology
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland University of Technology Employee Reviews

Australia59 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Excelllent place to work and go to the gym

It is scientifically challenging sometimes. it is always the learning process and fun. working for multi-discipline areas and science. continuous improvement in skills and knowledge. these are of course few places were the workplace culture can improve.

Great experience

Super easy, interviewers & training staff are lovely. Most enjoyable part of job is being apart of their mission & seeing it pay off. Highly recommend

Pros

Free Lunch, paid/reimbursed travel & parking, discount on supplies

Cons

Not constant work

Competitive but collaborative culture

QUT provides the opportunity to grow. They are keen to support their employee's self-development. However, good personal time management skill is required to keep the work-life balance.

QUT culture

The roles were interesting and diverse. Plenty of onsite training and development to ensure skills were current. The culture was great, amazing staff to work with, life long friendships made. Due to necessary redundancies, this culture was rocked, but hopefully it will return.

Employment tied to short term government funding

Redeployment of end of funding positions should be employed for good staff resulting in greater retention of skills and with knowledge. Unnecessary loss of talent.

Excellent place to improve and learn

Good work place. I wish there is more of appreciation for the the staff from manegers. The University offer nor Job security becuase of the majority of professional people are on contracts. Progress preview Reports are exhausting.

Workplace culture

In my experience there is bullying, a lack of support, competitiveness, and an expectation to work long hours regardless of whether it is harmful to the wellbeing. So many PhD students develop mental illness due to the harsh working environment where the supervisors are not trained on how to communicate and support their PhD students.

excellent work place

really nice to work here, learnt a lot from colleagues and the level of support available is really something worth of a consideration. loved working here

A great place to work for!

Queensland University of technology exceeded my expectations working here. It overall is a great place to work for. If given the opportunity to gain full time employment again I would take the offer.

Inclusive and Multicultural Environment

QUT is very multicultural and I like its environment and inclusiveness. The staff is very helpful. Being a migrant, I never felt discriminated nor faced any racism.

Good place to work with and around your university peers

Great rate of pay but strong competition for shifts. Good workplace culture and good management practices. A typical day can range from setting up large events to speaking to visiting schools to deliver university information sessions..

A progressive University looking to reinvent itself

There is a lot of transformation underway at QUT which is causing disruption, however for the betterment of the Student Experience. The holistic transformation of Business and Technology will position the University for success into the future.

Fun to do research

QUT is a high-end university which I really enjoyed studying there. I got the opportunity to be a tutor and laboratory demonstrator during the time I was there.

Pros

Good university

Cons

Stressful nature of research

Great Opportunity

I enjoyed my time as a Student Ambassador being able to engage with both peers and kids about University and what its like. The workplace culture was great and I was especially happy about being able to work with some of my old friends from Highschool. The hardest part of the job was getting in front of 300-400 students and talking to them about myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles and clear joy on the students faces after running activities for them. From this job I learned a lot about myself and what my strengths and weaknesses are and what I bring to the table as an employee. I am grateful for the opportunity with my University and would gladly recommend it to others.

Pros

Talking to new people

Cons

Talking to large crowds and Infrequency of shifts

Fun place to go to school

QUT was a great place to study abroad, and would be for any student. The campus is beautiful as is the surrounding area, and the people around there are wonderful.

Good environment to work

I worked for the Indigenous Unit at QUT, where academic support is provided to the students with their university study and supporting them in other matters that arise. We ensured that the students had a safe place and support in place for them to achieve their grades in their degrees/higher education.

Good facilities, good research, not so good culture/leadership

The Gardens Point campus is located nicely next to the botanical gardens with walking distance to the CBD. Some buildings are already refurbished and these very nice to work in, mostly though in open-office plans, and not enough meeting rooms to work in, which does not work well for research (everyone on my floor bought noise-cancelling headphones). The focus areas (as seen by the upper management) are well funded and attract top talent, not just nationwide but also internationally. There is an issue with leadership and bureaucracy. People seem to have no responsibility or are not strong enough to make decisions. Worse sometimes commitments are back-paddled. Which does not build trust and has negative effects on the overall culture. On the other hand staff are also not trusted and bureaucracy is taking over a significant amount of time.

Pros

some nice faciltiies, good colleagues

Cons

no trust, too much bureaucracy, not open and/or clear about personal career advancement

Good work environment

Working at QUT was fun. There are a wide range of social facilities which make working a bit less stressing. On a typical day, I reported to office by 09:00 and then take a 15 min coffee break. Lunch time at the food court at 13:00 was an opportunity to meet office colleagues.

Fantastic, supportive environment

Offered a supportive placement. Management were always approachable and helped with your role. Campus was well maintained, accessible and catered well to people with disabilities and cultural needs.

A very supportive workplace

As a higher education research student, I received much support from supervisory, administration and technical staff. There is great opportunity to explore different investigation techniques with training in the appropriate technologies. The most difficult part of this type of work is that you are required to generate and maintain your own direction and focus. From time to time the staff are unable to find suitable expertise to help with enquiries so the students must work this out for themselves. The best part of the job is interacting with technical staff who always take a lot of interest in the projects and the technologies involved.

Pros

A great opportunity to advance

Cons

Scholarships do not pay well

Excellent university

I did not work in QUT, just student in QUT. It is a good university, and learned many knowleges about mechanical egineering. Therefore, I will recommend it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Queensland University of Technology