Queensland Urban Utilities Employee Reviews

discriminating and corrupt
Senior Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 May 2019
do as I say, not as I do,

do not dare to question any decisions, despite their flaws
be a quiet little automaton - do not think for yourself
otherwise severe backstabbing is encouraged.

no bonuses at the end of the year for the staff,
regardless of hard work.
but thousands in bonuses for the CEO and upper leadership
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Interesting each day different
Electrical Fitter Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ipswich9 March 2019
Great electrical team to work with that helped each other and worked well together.
Each day was different working on water and sewage assets from Kilcoy to Canungra.
Management had there own agenda that was hard to work out.
The hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with management and work out there objectives.
The best part of the job was the variety of in field work and the work team.
Pros
Interesting and challenging
Cons
Dealing with Management
A reasonable firm to work for.
Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 January 2019
This is a progressive and modern firm with all the appropriate systems in place to perform competently. Work / Life balance is appreciated here and they ensure that their employees experience is a good one.
Caring employer that provided oppotunities to develop professionally.
Injury Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 July 2018
Culture was one of safety and caring for employees. Days are busy with work to fulfill requirements of the job and always appreciated. People interaction was positive and supportive.
Extremely Customer Focused
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Fortitude valley12 March 2018
Great workplace environment, great staff and great facilities. Be prepared to have difficult conversations with customers about their accounts and have challenging situations thrust upon you as it is a emergencies department as well.
not applicable
Administration Officer, Office of the CEO (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley Brisbane QLD20 February 2018
QUU is a company that does promote work and life balance.

It is a very busy place: so much to do, and so little time. For such a large organisation, it can sometimes be difficult for a new person to know who is who.

On the whole QUU is a good place to work.
It's all smoke and mirrors
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley Brisbane QLD29 August 2017
Rampant cost cutting and out sourcing created a culture of uncertainty. Senior Managers with no previous experience working in the utility sector resulted in poor management practises. Focus was not retaining long term employees but recruitng younger less qualified individuals and reducing pay scale.
The culture changed from a pleasant place to work to a place filled with contradictions and poor management.
HR is filled with an elitist group of individuals out of touch with the workforce and the culture.
Pros
Your holidays
Cons
Poor HR Management, Transient Managers, Poor Business Model
QUU were in the process of advancing to a blue leadership culture so quite exciting to be part of this transformation
Manager Billing & AR (Former Employee) –  QUU Fortitude Valley19 July 2017
Flexible work hours. Constructive meetings. Time out to team build and share personal growth experiences. Approachable exec team members and down to earth CEO. ICT requires greater focus to support process automation and improve margin capabilities. Great workspace.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
ICT performance
Worker friendly organisation
Senior PM (Major Projects & Commercial services) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 November 2016
It is an excellent Utility company in QLD. An excellent working environment. Worker friendly organisation with a large work force and challenging projects to work with.
No opportunity for the devil to make work for idle hands
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley QLD12 July 2016
Fast paced and high pressure job working to tight schedules with good team support across the board and a high degree of camaraderie.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Insufficient resources
A large Water and Wastewater Utility maintaining infrastructure in South East QLD
A06 Finance and Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 May 2016
In 2010 Water and Wastewater services were separated out of various south east Queensland Councils. QUU is a new Utility that maintains planned and responsive maintenance activities to Water and Wastewater infrastructure in Brisbane, Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Somerset and Lockyer Valley regions. The Business is still evolving and continues to go through restructures and continuous change. My role here was to provide financial and administrative support to the field operations Management and work teams.
QUU supports a strong workplace, health and safety culture. The people that work there have a strong bond and enjoy their work.
fun team, flexible
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley Brisbane QLD14 February 2016
lots of flexibility
great CIO to work for
supportive environment
lots of change in management
job content a little boring
overall, great experience
Nice workplace. Enjoyed team work with professionals across the business
Senior Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley, QLD 400516 June 2015
I enjoyed working at QUU. My work involved analysis and planning for urban utility infrastructure. At the end of the day, I had to produce argumentative report to emphasize the requirement of infrastructure solution and their appropriateness, cost-effectiveness and safety standard. I enjoyed writing those analytical reports because I love writing. My reports have been highly appreciated by my supervisor and manager.
Pros
Working atmosphere
Cons
Ongoing restructuring
Business Services Officer - People & Safety (Current Employee) –  Fortitude Valley30 September 2014
From the moment I walked in at 7am on the go all day long.

Loved my job and the exceptional customer services we offered with the team I worked with.
Pros
Lovely hard working people I met
Cons
Long hours and not recognision from managers
Undergoing constant change
Business and Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fortitude Valley, Brisbane4 March 2014
*improving core service processes, ensuring safety in every process,
developing quality systems.
*people don't like constant change
*management unable to deliver consistent messages and leadership
*co-workers willing to assist
*disparate information services
*our section were leaders in mandatory training, compliance to process and legislation - success in delivery of projects
Pros
New entity
Cons
public transport
Interesting organisation managed by Administrators who could have made a real success if they put more trust & empowerment in their people.
Learning & Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane12 January 2014
* Multi-task range of duties covering broad geographical area dealing with Managers, Supervisors, Workers, support Departments and a range of External Training Providers made this role an interesting, varied and very interactive.
* I learned that thorough planning, extensive knowledge of the work & related training plus great communication & interpersonal skills are essential for undertaking the job successfully.
* Experienced a range of management abilities & styles that were very confusing and lacked integrity in their implementation.I have worked for a Japanese Motor manufacturer who exemplified thorough planning followed by successful implementation and tried to exert some of that in QUU, unfortunately unsuccessfully.
* Many co-workers, particularly in the Field, were great to work with however some of the Service delivery employees fell into the `bureaucratic' ways of operating and displayed poor levels of service and competency.
* Hardest part of job was influencing Management to commit to and follow through their processes and procedures thereby providing the necessary leadership and consistency to the workforce at large.
Most enjoyable part of job was making a difference to those workers we serviced re. their training requirements and advice.
Pros
Interesting range of work covering a wide geographical area.
Cons
Lack of integrity from management
Productive and focused environment
Project Officer/Document Control (Former Employee) –  Goodna Brisbane Queensland14 October 2012
A fast paced environment requiring strict time management to complete tasks.
Working in conjunction with a construction company to complete the project, I learned that communication and document control is fundamental to successful completion of the project,
My fully autonomous role required little or no contact with management. Management have an open door policy and make themselves available when required.
My co-workers keep to themselves mostly.
I like to work in a friendly and supportive environment. I maintain motivation by staying focused on the end result, which for me, is completing my tasks to the best of my ability.
Being a small part of a large organisation is favourable for me as there is a flexibility to work hours that suit my lifestyle as ;long as the core hours required to work is completed. This requires good communication between staff and management. As well as verbal communication, I also communicate electronically by showing my hours in my calendar.
Pros
close to home; flexible hours of work
Cons
a busy environment requiring synergy
A interesting job and lots of responsibilty
Water Controller (Former Employee) –  Eagle Farm28 April 2012
Manipulating Brisbane water and sewage network. Being responsible for the repair and maintenance of said infrastructure. Dealing directly with the mayor on relevant issues. Deligating work to outside crew members and looking after the control room after hours. I learned a lot about reticulation systems and the customers we served. We were the managers. We worked in a small team of 6 and the team worked well. The hardest part of the job was trying to convince people that I worked with and people I answered to that change was a good thing. The most enjoyable part was at the end of the day knowing that you did something good.
Pros
job stability.
Cons
shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensland Urban Utilities. Our community is ready to answer.

Queensland Urban Utilities Reviews by Location