Queensland Urban Utilities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Queensland Urban Utilities Employee Reviews

Australia25 reviews
This is a very corrupt company as one of the other reviewers already mentioned. They have easily wasted more than $50 million dollars worth of public taxpayer money that I observed in the time I was there and this would easily be uncovered if they were audited in the same way other authorities are. However they don't seem to come under the same level of scrutiny as other authorities and get away with this and seemingly will for years to come. Be careful if you work for them, they can destroy your career if you question anything.
Good place to work. Lots of opportunities to enhance current practises and streamline workflows. Some major projects underway. Overall, a positive experience and I am only leaving due to relocation. Would work here again.
Will definately return to QUU when the time is right for me!
They are a great bunch of team players and very safety and family orientated. Hope to return to my position in the near future.
Work roster to manage mail delivery and acceptance.
Many varied tasks throughout the day from ordering milk to uniforms or equipment for field workers.

Letter deliveries to customers and dealing with customer complaints through the appropriate channels.
Expect you to work a pathetic roster and pay you pathetic money! If your looking to buy a house this isn’t the company for you but if your debt free you’ll be alright!
I was recently laid off during my probationary period due to a list of reasons which were NEVER communicated directly with me neither verbally or written and also DID NOT HAPPEN.
I was accused of taking excessive "coffee breaks and phone use" during the training period. I never once took a coffee break and I never used my phone except on allocated breaks.

They borderline harassed me about going to the bathroom and using "personal time" during my shift. They used my bathroom time as another reason for my dismissal which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

Another one of their reasons for letting me go was also i allegedly said things such as "dont bother doing that task, management will never know" which were apparently reported to management by another employee I never said such things and they could not prove that I said these things either.

They also said my "tone" whilst on the phone with customers was too aggressive and abrupt which I find hilarious because I had only ever received good feedback from the QA officer and they also use my phone calls in training sessions.

My dismissal came conveniently after I questioned HR and payroll when I found that I hadn't been paid my penalty rates for a total of 5 weeks. It was even brought up as one of the reasons for my dismissal and I quote "the way you went about asking for your backpay was an issue".

While the people who work in the call centre are friendly, the same cannot be said for the women in leadership. They are lazy, incompetent and rude and extremely clique-y

I never ONCE had a one on one meeting with my team leader
 - more...
do as I say, not as I do,

do not dare to question any decisions, despite their flaws

be a quiet little automaton - do not think for yourself

otherwise severe backstabbing is encouraged.

no bonuses at the end of the year for the staff,

regardless of hard work.

but thousands in bonuses for the CEO and upper leadership
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Management especially would take decisions which will impact operations or the rest of the organisation without so much a change management plan. Processes which are not followed have no consequence to it - no one is managed for it. Faults repeated but nothing is addressed - new people cop the blame for a lot of things that they don't do and the existing people just shrug and move on. No real effort in changing the culture despite a lot of talk.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Micromanagement; people feel threatened by real skills and hard work
Great electrical team to work with that helped each other and worked well together.
Each day was different working on water and sewage assets from Kilcoy to Canungra.

Management had there own agenda that was hard to work out.

The hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with management and work out there objectives.

The best part of the job was the variety of in field work and the work team.
Pros
Interesting and challenging
Cons
Dealing with Management
This is a progressive and modern firm with all the appropriate systems in place to perform competently. Work / Life balance is appreciated here and they ensure that their employees experience is a good one.
Culture was one of safety and caring for employees. Days are busy with work to fulfill requirements of the job and always appreciated. People interaction was positive and supportive.
Great workplace environment, great staff and great facilities. Be prepared to have difficult conversations with customers about their accounts and have challenging situations thrust upon you as it is a emergencies department as well.
QUU is a company that does promote work and life balance.

It is a very busy place: so much to do, and so little time. For such a large organisation, it can sometimes be difficult for a new person to know who is who.

On the whole QUU is a good place to work.
Rampant cost cutting and out sourcing created a culture of uncertainty. Senior Managers with no previous experience working in the utility sector resulted in poor management practises. Focus was not retaining long term employees but recruitng younger less qualified individuals and reducing pay scale.
The culture changed from a pleasant place to work to a place filled with contradictions and poor management.

HR is filled with an elitist group of individuals out of touch with the workforce and the culture.
Pros
Your holidays
Cons
Poor HR Management, Transient Managers, Poor Business Model
Flexible work hours. Constructive meetings. Time out to team build and share personal growth experiences. Approachable exec team members and down to earth CEO. ICT requires greater focus to support process automation and improve margin capabilities. Great workspace.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
ICT performance
It is an excellent Utility company in QLD. An excellent working environment. Worker friendly organisation with a large work force and challenging projects to work with.
Fast paced and high pressure job working to tight schedules with good team support across the board and a high degree of camaraderie.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Insufficient resources
In 2010 Water and Wastewater services were separated out of various south east Queensland Councils. QUU is a new Utility that maintains planned and responsive maintenance activities to Water and Wastewater infrastructure in Brisbane, Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Somerset and Lockyer Valley regions. The Business is still evolving and continues to go through restructures and continuous change. My role here was to provide financial and administrative support to the field operations Management and work teams.
QUU supports a strong workplace, health and safety culture. The people that work there have a strong bond and enjoy their work.
lots of flexibility
great CIO to work for

supportive environment

lots of change in management

job content a little boring

overall, great experience
I enjoyed working at QUU. My work involved analysis and planning for urban utility infrastructure. At the end of the day, I had to produce argumentative report to emphasize the requirement of infrastructure solution and their appropriateness, cost-effectiveness and safety standard. I enjoyed writing those analytical reports because I love writing. My reports have been highly appreciated by my supervisor and manager.
Pros
Working atmosphere
Cons
Ongoing restructuring
From the moment I walked in at 7am on the go all day long.

Loved my job and the exceptional customer services we offered with the team I worked with.
Pros
Lovely hard working people I met
Cons
Long hours and not recognision from managers