RACQ
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update

RACQ Employee Reviews

Australia54 reviews
Featured review
RACQ selected this as a representative review
I have worked for RACQ for over a decade and strongly believe that we live up to the values we have developed internally in all that we do. Our strong community brand and the satisfaction and excitement I witness when talking to our members about their experience with RACQ whether it be having needing assistance with a breakdown, calling the Contact Centre re. Insurance or having been assisted by the RACQ Foundation makes me proud to be a part of the organisation.

Internally, there is a great culture of support and willingness to assist among employees. There is a strong understanding of purpose and how each individuals role aligns to the wider vision. Management at varying levels are generally supportive and encouraging and the flexibility and work life balance are great.

With lots of opportunity for career progression or side-stepping into different roles, overall RACQ is a great organisation to work for and I feel they genuinely value their employees whilst providing the tools and resources to enable to them to continually grow, uplift capabilities and succeed.
Pros
Flexibility and work/life balance
Racq is a fair employer, the crew is team based with a sharing of responibilities. Racq maintains a high standard of communication with its employees.
Parking is free at the Eight Mile Plains campus and flexible working conditions allow a decent work/life balance. However, middle & senior management possess very poor communication and people management skills. The annual employee survey is a token gesture at best and merely serves to expose the massive gulf between management and the rest of the employees. The executive team "talks the talk" but lacks the courage and skills to "walk the walk".
Motor Claims: very fast-paced, challenging work with great training provided and resources of colleagues to support, great knowledge base information. More individual specific claims handling
Property: More individual case-handling of claims work and extended time frames for repair work on most claims. More team focussed to ensure timely completion
Pros
Great team culture
RACQ is a great environment that balances their members interests with a competitive, flexible and innovative environment. It is a great environment and would definitely recommend it to others.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
N/a
I have worked for RACQ for over 12 years, and the focus on personal development has always been at the forefront of my experience.

Not only me focusing on my development but the focus from my direct reporting managers through the multitude of roles I have worked in throughout my career here.

Culture and values are the most important aspects to me when it comes to working for a company and that those items align to who I am as a person and employee and I can see that RACQ has both of these.

Management within my department are supportive and present and go out of their way to get to know your headspace and work but give you the room to pave your own path.

Change is the hardest part of any role, and change in this currently climate is constant. We don't always get it right and sometimes we get in our own way with processes, but I can see the business is learning.

The most enjoyable part is working with people with the same member centric values that you hold and having a common end goal.
Pros
Large focus on culture
Cons
sideways movements needed to move up due to long staff tenure in roles.
Lacking when training. The money was good but the training was in large groups and it was easy to fall behind. I was said to leave but the stress was not worth it.
Pros
pay
Cons
stressful
Culture and management is quite good here. The hardest part of the job is the difficulty maintaining a work life balance with the required work hours.
RACQ is a company that is member-centric and this is reflected in the culture of the organisation. The staff are all committed to the business and providing members a positive experience every day.

There is significant opportunity for professional development and career progression if this is of interest to you.

The management are supportive and give us the opportunity to do our best work and this is highly-motivating.

I would happily recommend RACQ to my family and friends.
Pros
Opportunities for professional development and career progression
Cons
As a new employee it can be hard to understand the business, but everyone was very helpful!
I am so grateful to have built my career with RACQ over the past 7 years. It is a company that truly cares about its members and employees and it rewards those who work hard. I've been able to participate in lots of employee activities (like Our Community Christmas) and give back to the community as part of my job, which I really value. Some systems and processes can be slow and clunky, but there is a big focus on improving this and enhancing the employee experience. Would highly recommend working here if our values resonate with you.
Great company to work for with the reputation and name. Great crew to work with, however, management does not look after their subordinates. They tend to look after themselves and one another.
Left due to restructure.
Fast paced enviroment where I had to create online content, seek its approval from subject matter experts, and use a content management system (CMS) to send copy live with the required deadlines.

Also built web pages and optimised images for online upload.
After 8 years of working at RACQ, I am so, so disappointed with what it has become.

You’re continually bullied and gaslit by passive aggressive management who have no management skills, people skills or life experience. When you attempt to resolve issues, HR will throw you straight into ‘mediation’ with the manager who made you feel like you have no self worth and caused you to doubt if you ever even worked at the company. This manager has recently been promoted.

I quit with no job and spent 3 months working with doctors and psychologists to regain some self worth and work out that it wasn’t me that was the problem.

You can offer new members way better premiums than existing policy holders. You’re continually dealing with complaints as they advertise that they 24/7 but most departments finish at 7pm or 9pm at the latest. Website and systems never work. Sales targets based per engagement so you’ve got to sell something to everyone. Your expected to over service members even if it’s just a change of rego. You can never get holidays. In flexible and no work life balance despite them continually telling you that there is. You could be great at 99 out of 100 things but that 1 thing that you’re not good at, they will kill you over.

The only plus, I’ve met some lifelong friends who have helped me through.
They have no idea what they’re doing. This place is full of incompetent managers and staff. Bullying exists & if you speak up; be prepared to be pushed out. The most toxic and poorly run organisation I have come across in over 20 years of working. Maybe the new CEO will inspire a positive change. The only good thing about RACQ is the member focus - pity there is zero staff wellness focus
After 15 years of customer service across many different large organizations; RACQ is by far the worst environment I have ever been in.
Training is inadequate, management are completely incompetent and absent which leaves senior staff to ‘run the show’ without any professionalism. Total lack of support, absolute lack of process.

Toxic culture - zero support - if you want to end up with a mental health issue then you should work here. If you value your health then PLEASE AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!! Then warn everyone you know. Shocking company to work for. So many good employees are now in therapy due to this place; an EAP COUNSELLOR told me that the number of unhappy RACQ staff they get through their door outdoes any other company they provide services for - that says it all 😔
terrible hours and poor pay
single person's job

hard on families

I get it if you don't like the review then keep denying to submit the form

they expect you to be on call even when it's your time off. I was told i would be paid an hourly amount only to be paid per job. which worked out a lot less than the original quoted amount.
If you want to be seeing your GP on a regular basis for stress & depression then take a job with RACQ!!
But please note, management just love to try to call you out over sick leave & even though they cause it, trust me they love pushing you into needing to take "Unpaid Sick Leave".

Unfortunately though I need to earn money so i'll be working here probably until they run me into the ground & I physically can't get out of bed & so take permanent sick leave all caused by RACQ!! Do yourselves a favour & work anywhere except here!!
I cannot warn enough people about how bad this place is. They over promote pathetic people to management, bullying is tolerated and not acted on. Staff are treated like rubbish and the turnover is huge. Unprofessional and unreasonable managers. Since leaving I have found out there are so many people miserable for having worked there. Avoid like the plague.
Official response from RACQ
16 September 2019
Hi, and thank you for your review.

We're sorry to hear of your poor experience at RACQ.

We do take all feedback seriously so would encourage you to contact hr@racq.com.au if you would like to discuss your experience further.

Regards

Kim, RACQ Careers Team
A company that prides itself on values and a member focus is nothing but a farce. Workplace bullying exists and the process to get this address is atrocious.
Incompetent management, atrocious “HR partners” that offer zero support to victims and only cover up for the serious issues that exist.

So many staff are unhappy and the culture is the worst I have ever experienced.

Avoid this company like the plague
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Incompetent management - no adherence to the code of conduct - bad behaviours of staff are ignored
Previously I had been employed at RACQ. During my term of employment with RACQ I had learnt over a dozen systems related to the various insurance products and gave me fantastic training to do my job to a high professional standard.
Good work life balance
Training for job could be better for contract workers

Nice company to work for

Great benefits

Great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction from helping clients

Customer focused company
Pros
Great pay
Cons
huge turn over rate