Rev.com
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Rev.com Employee Reviews

The pay grade is VERY basic and actually quite low, considering the time and attention required. It works out to be about $5 USD per hour, if you're quite quick with transcribing. I think jobs should be paid better, especially comparative to the difficulty e.g. poor audio, accents, more than 3 speakers, without glossaries etc. Especially when projects with accents don't get automatically transcribed very well in the program before you start, so require a lot more work. Which you don't find out until you've accepted it. Also based on your experience or expertise. It would be better if you could increase your pay rate based on accuracy and how quickly you work. I'm not a fan of the warning system. If your metrics fall too low they just cut you off, with no appeal. Even while you are still becoming familiar with their style guide, for the first few jobs. I understand if you have done over 15 or so projects your accuracy should be pretty good, but otherwise it would be goo to review this before cutting people off. Doesn't make you feel valued. Increase the pay rate slightly, and add an appeals process, or more flexibility whilst people are starting out with metrics.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No appeals process if your score drops, and low pay.
Rev.com are great to consult with.The work they offer is constant. You are able to work as much or as little as you like and the hours are extremely flexible.Payment for work has always been on time and any questions you may have are generally answered within 24-48 hours.Highly recommend.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
I actually enjoyed the work that I was doing. It is their ridiculous review process that is so unnecessarily harsh. You can have perfect or near perfect ratings for 99% of your work then get one “bad” rating from one of their reviewers and it’s goodbye see you later- no chance for explanation no chance for a response no chance to ever work for them again Obviously their clients do not know this practice is in place or I highly doubt they would use their services. REV you should really think about changing your system. I loved the work was I doing. I can only imagine you are still in business because there are so many applications for work.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Faceless, terrible review system
It was a fun hobby, a bit of pocket money, but not much else. If you type extremely fast and have proper transcription tools then it may be worthwhile but if that's the case you could probably find a more stable paying job elsewhere. That said, it did help keep me afloat for a few months and helped improve my typing speed and accuracy, gave me some interesting jobs that I learnt a lot from, and gave me constructive feedback on my grammar. Great if you need a few extra dollars and can only work from home at odd hours. 24/7 jobs and the ability to cancel jobs if you find they're too difficult once you open the audio files.
Pros
Flexible and work from home anytime
Cons
Terrible pay unless you type 399wpm
Once you get through the training that you get paid a couple of bucks for at most you'll be able to access higher paying jobs. You might get lucky and find a $50 AUD job to transcribe a recording of 96 minutes or more. But the audio will be so bad that it'll take you a good 6 hours just to get every word transcribed. This will leave you little time to review, so you better hope you didn't make any mistakes or you'll drop below their standards. Do that a few times and they'll delete your account.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Better stack up on rice, you won't be eating out.
Dumb rules, bad critics/marking. I woudn't even bother, don't help out this shtty company. You will be doing this job for a week or something finally getting the hang of it then get a few mad marks, then get fired,.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
This is only good for when you need money and it's not even a lot. Their quality teams are not very good. They rely on people desperate to get money and their grading system is unreasonable. You are doomed to fail the moment you join in. Enjoy it while it last. I am. =)
If you pass the initial test then you'll progress to a 'Rev Rookie'. From there you get to joy of being reviewed on all your transcribed minutes for 45 minutes worth to get a acceptable score of 4.5 average. As a Rookie you get 36 to 42 cents per transcribed audio. Sounds good, right? Wrong. The audio quality is garbage most of the time. The graders are arbitrary at best. Some are super understanding and give you a good rating while still giving you constructive criticism. Others, are super harsh and not helpful. There isn't really an appeal process and once you complete your minutes, if you haven't reached the minimum 4.5 standards your account is automatically deleted. Even if you've shown a good improvement overall. One of the worst aspects of the training period is it doesn't matter the length of the project you completed. A 10 minute project is rated just like a 3 minute one. But if you do great on the 10 minute but make a few mistakes on the 3 minute you'll end up worse off. They treat you as disposable and not as resources. Remember, you are making them money. They charge $1 a minute for transcription and give you 1/3 of that. They live off the desperate people.
Pros
Paid in USD
Cons
Bad practices in all aspects
Pathetic excuse for a company and they don't care about their employees. Freelancers stay away! Do not waste your time. You would be better off on any other freelancing platform. I made this mistake and I don't want others to do the same. I hope this helps make your decision.
Cons
This is a pathetic waste of energy. Received a 'fail' (3/5 grade) on a project for forgetting a full stop and having a space between a word and a hyphen = had to complete 3 totally accurate pieces of work or get dumped. The grade of 3 means the reader will have difficulty understanding the piece. What a load of rubbish.How hard would it be for them to add a dot and delete a space? I tried extremely hard to complete the rest of the work. I emailed their support for assistance - no help. Asked on their forum, no response within the time limit for handing in the project. I questioned a decision about a grade - 2 pieces of work with identical 'issues' - one a good pass and the other a bad fail. Result - decision is final - goodbye. No opportunity for discussion etc. I actually enjoyed doing the work - gave me something to do and kept the old brain active, but, not worth the hassle. Got more money, and way less stress, doing surveys.
Cons
big headed, cold hearted tyrants.
It's great and easy to do. I don't really take part in the workplace culture. There is a forum that you can get in touch with other Revvers, I've never felt the need to get involved. If you do have questions the people who run the query section are really nice and helpful. Two issues: - if you don't type fast, you take longer and you get paid less. - Audio quality can be painful to listen to. Best qualities: - You can choose which projects to do. - You decide when you want to work. - An easy way to make a bit of extra cash.
I work full time, but was looking to supplement my income - Rev.com offers this. Yes, they have guidelines, yes they have standards - it's why their clients choose them. I've found Rev.com honest and upfront...and they pay on time every time through Paypal (I have never been asked for a credit card). Hardest part of the job is getting your head around the guidelines - but once you do, your captioning gets faster and your earning power increases. I appreciate the opportunity they give me to earn some extra cash, There's no minimum requirement for work, you choose when and what.
Pros
No minimum requirement, you choose when and what you do.
Cons
Not always projects available.
Always dubious about work from home job ads, I was not sure about applying for Rev. But since my first contact with them, they have been amazing. I went through an application process, and was working within a week. I am able to earn some extra money in the time that suits me, and Rev are a reliable, supportive company to work for. I get paid every week without fail, into my PayPal account, and the support team and other captioners are always around to help out with projects if need be.
Pros
Great support and community forum
Cons
Not always enough work
This job is a fantastic way of earning income for all who are motivated to learn the guidelines required for quality control, and disciplined enough to work at their own pace on projects. I cannot fault the training, company, culture, or ethics that exist in this job. It is remote, available at your convenience, and pay is processed reliably every week. Good job, and a good way to learn new things. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Pros
Work when you like
Cons
Ebb and flow in terms of work volume.