Rio Tinto
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Employee benifits are good

The employee benefits offered are good. This is good for work life balance and helps with family time. Great opportunity to learn and grow. Some people are lovely and great to work with.

Poor management, Grate opportunity to up-skill, Good work environment and site,

Management wanted more and more out of it's worker's. Doing extras, working back. Disruptions for night shift With no incentives and little gratitude $10 and $20 gift cards when there feeling generous, the business puts pressure on employees to perform but when you fall there's no protection or support your hung out to dry. Yet significant heritage sites demolished, No one held accountable,

Pros

Good work crew, grate roster 6x6 all day shift, clean tight knit town grate for small children

Cons

When you have back to back crews there will always be tension crews not working together

hate it.

disgusting. the machines and the workplace is never clean. a former coworker of mine almost lost a hand in one of the machines due to poor condition. If you are going to get a job here, don't.

Pros

nothin.

Cons

poor condition of machines and no cleanliness.

Don't do it

Just an awful experience, no direction, no sense of care and definitely inappropriate interactions, close to bullying. I applied for a 12 month role, got it & it was changed to 3 month. Hot desking does not work & is about saving money not about any positive affect on staff. There were often no desks available on any floor so we went home.

Pros

some of the people

Cons

culture, lack of direction

Good safety culture, friendly workers, long time helpful staff

I found Rio Tinto as a company really good to work for, they have a good safety culture where production does not come first. They promote couples and family members working together on the same team which can sometimes be a deal breaker when families are apart. You can have a long rewarding career with Rio Tinto especially now they are rolling out their Autonomus Haulage Systems and the extensive training they offer their employees.

Pros

Great culture, approachable team leaders, good safety culture

Cons

Camp food can be monotonous from day to day

Politics, purple circles, toxic company

Departmental infighting, constantly looking over your wondering who's gonna stab you in the back, any excuse to pin you for trumped up safety breaches, toxic workplace on all sites, management looks down at you like you're vermin, too busy focusing on paperwork and not the job. Would not recommend rio tinto to anyone, its not a place of employment its suicide watch

Pros

Like what?

Cons

Being dehumanising

The worst management

The worst workplace culture, unsupportive, sometime abusive I have personally experienced bullying and even though I reported problems through the chain of command nothing changes.

Pros

a salary

Cons

abusive, unsupportive and poor management

Toxic Criminal Organisation

Management intentionally harass staff in order to control them. This company actively practices organisational brain washing. The whole show is as crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Pros

Money, Roster

Cons

Poor management, toxic culture

Not fun not a happy place at all

This place was run both muppets. Internal fighting between departments and a lack of understanding of basic principals of management by this place was a sorry and actually sad think to see

Nice workplace

My team are nice to work with. Some of the team work harder than others. But I have found that in every Office that I have worked. There is always a select few that go above and beyond.

Rio Tinto is slow in the pass out process on machines and some of the material is not easy to decipher . An RPL does not mean anything to them even when you give them proof of prior operation and provide skill tickets . Their processes are rediculous.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

fun environment

excellent training, very precise with staff welfare and extra care to details . less stresses. excellent wages. good accommodation friendly staff and excellent and easy recruitment process.

Excellent company to work for

One of the best organizations that I have worked for. Lots of developmental opportunities for its employees. Good pay and benefits and excellent management.

Fast-paced and interactive workplace with high regards to safety

Working at Rio Tinto, Bundoora was an incredibly fast-paced ordeal with 60-hour weeks, but it was also a highly rewarding role where all team members were constantly updated on the progress of the project and how their efforts were being well-received. Staff morale was also very high because everyone was encouraged to look out for each other's mental and physical well-being. Overall, it was not a role for the faint-hearted, but it was one I would recommend to an ambitious graduate seeking a fresh start in a chemical engineering role.

Gym, recreation outdoor areas

Gym good, need down time, basketball area, recreation area, rooms pretty clean, friendly group of people everyone saying hi, we all try and get the job done

Discrimination and bullying is rife

Not a good company to work for. Even worse if you're a female. The culture in some areas is the worst I have ever endured. Don't get me wrong, there are some great people there but there are far too many 'old school boys' still there who are more in 'protect their job' mode than want to do the right thing. HR will listen but does nothing. If you want to do the right thing and wanted to be treated fairly, this is not the company for you. Some of the behaviours I have seen towards colleagues is disgraceful. Persistent bullying and discrimination. If someone wants to go after you, they can all will only stop when you leave.

No comment

Working condition satisfactory, excellent work environment and highly diversified workforce, certainly the most pleasurable workplace I have the opportunity to work.

Variety and challenges

Good pre work information and job descriptions. Information was always available from supervisors and work colleagues. Rio allowed me to advance my career with training and job opportunities. Workplace culture changed with sites and experience. Hardest part of the job was due to isolation of sites and availability of equipment. Most enjoyable was the opportunity and challenges.

Got made redundant after 12 years of service

wasn't a bad place to work over all, wish i could have stayed for longer good salary good tooling company accommodation was pretty good vehicles and machinery was always maintained

Purple circle, boss’s bully , bosses put their mates on. Intimidating culture with supervisors. No empathy. No chance of moving up with bosses mates on crew

Productive, informative

No two (2) days were the same. Training always available, Management had an open door policy and were available for guidence when needed. Advancement policy within the business was promoted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Rio Tinto
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?