Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Paraburdoo and Hope Downs 4
Pipefitter/Boilermaker - Wash plant Construction (Former Employee) –  Western Australia18 January 2018
Whilst working on various RIO sites they had high Safety standards.
They balance work and family well.Although it was a hot climate to work in they made sure enough water breaks were taken.Enjoyable
fellow work crews with an excellant understanding of what was required for the task at hand
benefit where going but let down by management
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Kununurra WA6 January 2018
Management needed to better in, on the job training and experience. The roster was brilliant 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off which they no longer have. Camp facilities were exceptional,
Excellent company to work for
Business Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brockman WA30 November 2017
Great company to work for with excellent salary and benefits. Corporate exposure helps you to increase your strategy and financial skills.
The workplace culture is good. Something to improve is the tolerance to non-native English speakers which makes difficult to these people to step up in higher positions (management positions) - this is the hardest part of the job.
In the minesite, and depending on the manager, there is a bias to judge sooner than later to introvert people - this is not welcome in a competitive environment like Rio. You have to invent jokes and just pretend to be extrovert - this is a success factor to step up (apart from your English skills).
Most enjoyable part of the job is that you have challenging objectives to reach which makes you exploit your skills and knowledge in a collaborative environment.
Pros
Company to grow professionally and personally
Cons
Not an inclusive culture, lack of tolerance for non-native English speakers
Production operator
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Yandi Mine WA19 November 2017
Good company to work for. Have a good safety standard. And look after theor employees. The work accommodation is first class and always maintained. I
Awesome team, Enjoyable work.
Heavy Operator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA4 October 2017
I was mainly working the Wheel Dozer. So typical day was travelling around the pit pushing waste dumps and then cleaning the face shovel floors. In between all that I hot seated dumb truck drivers so that they can have there lunch twice aday.
I learnt a great deal on team work. Operating the Dozers and dumb trucks.
Management were good and very understanding.
Workplace culture was pretty cool we all got along.
FIFO life and nightshift.
Great satisfaction on the dozers. Good pay. Made some awesome mates.
Pros
FIFO life, nightshift.
Cons
Pay, good team members. enjoyable work.
Fast paced environment with lots of opportunities
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 September 2017
An enjoyable environment within a large enterprise. The culture was inclusive with plenty of team building. Management was receptive to new ideas and very supportive.
Pros
Good work
Cons
great industry to work for
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  WA tom price24 September 2017
Great company to work for. Safety is the most important thing and experience in machine operator is an excellent path to up skill your experiences. It was a great company to work for and they do look after you.
Pros
safety is number 1
Good stable and helpful place to work
Asset Utilisation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Launceston TAS4 September 2017
Good stable company to work for.
Work provided challenges over the 20 years I worked with them. A good variety of jobs from Project Engineering, business improvement and maintenance systems development and monitoring.
Pros
Support
Productive workplace
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pannawonica WA13 August 2017
I have been a contractor with the company at 2 different sites since 2014.
I get paid decently by the contracting company. But am hoping that will be put onnriotinto books
Pros
8 days in 6 days off
Cons
Taking a long time to be put on permanently
Amazing salary.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Karratha WA9 August 2017
The salary and benefits were amazing, it was my first taste of a high paying job, especially for my young age. But the work I was doing can get repetitive extremely quickly. Even though the pay was good, it was not the type of job I would make my career.
Productive and Friendly place to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Nhulunbuy NT5 August 2017
My day consisted of typical administration work required for Gove Operations. A great experience working at the refinery. So many learning opportunities and abilities to move around the refinery to experience different areas of work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Living in an isolated town has it's disadvantages
Good Location, Minimal Job security
Capital Projects - Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nhulunbuy NT4 August 2017
The location is very Good
The Workforce in general is experienced
Helpful team environment
Job security is the only downside
Delays in Flight transfer to and from site
Good place to work, good roster and pay
Supply Officer (Former Employee) –  Brockman WA27 July 2017
Great immediate team management at lower level. Good support and learning opportunities, great roster and work life balance. Great facilities and equipment. Good procedures in place for new staff to follow. Great bunch of fellow employees.
Pros
Great facilities, accomodation, pay and roster
Cons
Being away from home, but great roster
Contractual employee are treated equaly as non-contractual
Sourcing Analyst (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  Hail Creek QLD27 July 2017
I did a short contract and I loved it, I wish that I could stay longer, but a FT position is not easy to get there. Great conditions for work and accommodation.
Gone backwards
Plant maintainer (Former Employee) –  Tom price16 May 2017
Was a great place to work but changes did not suit me.so left to pursue better life work balance to suit my future plans in the pilbara and surrounding area.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Roster change did not suit
Exciting, highly innovative balanced with high demands on individuals
National Recruitment Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD1 May 2017
Exciting opportunities with a global company. High drive for innovation and cost-savings has bred a unique culture of continuous improvement. Work demands on individuals can be excessive.
Unable to review
Surveyors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA29 April 2017
I was not working with this specific company long enough to give an accurate review of. The star ranking does not represent my opinion of the company but is a required field so has been selected as 3 stars across the board
great place to work
Instrument technician QA completion team (Former Employee) –  Cape Lambert WA7 April 2017
Prestart meeting as usual , to get to know whats happening on site . and do my usual paper work in the office , following walk downs , recording findings
Cons
10 hour days
Experimented with new possible sampling methods
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA4 April 2017
I found it really good to work for Rio and really liked working to experiment new possible techniques to further the industry. The people i worked with during this time were great and made working all the better.
Good work colleagues but Supervisor's can be two faced.
Train Controller (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 March 2017
Good working with the fellow train controllers but recently found that my Supervisor was a little two faced.
Good working roster of 6 days on and 6 days off.
Pros
Roster
Cons
Supervisor's

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2