Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Australia326 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

not recommended if you are focused on pay

Good site but pay is questionable. Too many people and departments are involved for a simple decisionOn the bright side, there are opportunities to move around

Pros

Good site

Cons

Under average pay

Supportive & Inclusive business

I have always had supportive leadership encouraging my career development whilst working for Rio Tinto. My work life balance is perfect and allows me to still be a hands on mum without feeling like I am not there enough. My Team are amazing and we all support each other to succeed.

Great workmates.

I would never work for them again. Scenery is beautiful but it does get warm in summer. The crews in which l worked were loaded with good and knowledgeable workmates. Management not included.

Pros

Coming home.

Cons

Traveling to and from on your own time.

Best work life balance I have ever had

Rio Tinto offers great opportunities for advancement in their company but also allows for skill’s upgrading. They have a great emphasis on community and family in the Pilbara where I worked for them. I wish I was still working for them and would still be if it wasn’t for location issues best 8years of my life thanks Rio Tinto for the opportunities you afforded me

Pros

Great roster

Cons

Extreme heat and conditions

Productive but to many backstabbers

Not a very good company to work for, they can and will bully you and be allowed to get away with it. That’s B4 for you anyway. There are some good people out there. Dinner, breakfast and lunch are pretty amazing though and once every 3 years you get a chance to bring 3 family members up to the mine site which is very cool.

Pros

Good food, good amenities, good activities

Cons

Not a lot of fun, micro managing

Excellent company

Excellent in every aspectGood salaryGood rosterGood benefitsRio provides every opportunity to build employees and contribute to entire Rio operations

Work Balance and Good Environment

World class mining system to learn and gaining good experience. Company offer a good balance between work and lifestyle. Especially for new parents with baby, 18 weeks parental leave is currently introduced

Get a laugh every day from the mob

Good people ,fun ,relaxed mostly .new workshop still sorting it out . Management helpful with problems , company benefits. Are ok bus trip to and fro is a sad point .

Applying through workpac more effective

If you have year's of experience you will start on same rate as new starter with no experience if you haven't got paperwork in at least 3 times you may not have any payments monthly pay and depends who it goes to,ring HR they say we may get back to you with in 5 day's even if you have worked for 5 weeks and told; you don't have to do anything more but wait so be prepared to wait long periods for satisfaction

It's flexible and supportive environment

Diversity, flexibility & Supportive environment. Lot of different ethnic people work here. Work arrangement flexible and all people are supportive. As a global company they train you as global level.

Reactive work but always collaborative and exciting

Rio is very flexible in the average work day - there is also great value placed on family and the care of family. The start times can vary depending on your needs but everyone is generally very supportive and encouraging. - great place to be and work but can be demanding as it can be very reactive so planned work suffers.

Work on cutting edge of mining technology

Great place to work. Very results-driven, flexible work is possible for those working in cities but not possible for those working on site. one of the best miners to work for in Australia

Pros

frequent flyer point

Cons

long hours while on site

A whole lot of noise in your life that doesn't change how you individually do your job.

-Large company with lots of processes, forms and emails-People are always calling you chasing you up-No appetite from management to lean out processes to make work easier.-Lots of work is outsourced meaning staff don't have a lot of technical skill in-house. Not good for engineers trying to obtain more technical experience.-Good operational safety processes, but company wide understanding of engineering safety isn't robust-A lot of behind-closed-doors purple circles going on-Very difficult to take credit for projects you deliver when all you do is outsource and the projects are done by others.

Gym and pool

I was very pleased to get a full time job ,with one of the biggest in iron ore industry ,when I first started and first 7 years ,a great all round culture ,safety caring ,after this period management at my site changed and so did everything else ,it became just like a job and nothing more .

Pros

All food supplied, average 60% of time

Cons

Long hours from camp to site and return

Productive and rewarding workplace

Worked there for 10 years. Excellent culture with supporting team and very social. Often trips to site required of various lengths. Good learning experience with excellent opportunities for promotion.

Pros

Flexible work hours and good pay.

Cons

Travel sometimes required at short notice.

Poor management, Grate opportunity to up-skill, Good work environment and site,

Management wanted more and more out of it's worker's. Doing extras, working back. Disruptions for night shift With no incentives and little gratitude $10 and $20 gift cards when there feeling generous, the business puts pressure on employees to perform but when you fall there's no protection or support your hung out to dry. Yet significant heritage sites demolished, No one held accountable,

Pros

Good work crew, grate roster 6x6 all day shift, clean tight knit town grate for small children

Cons

When you have back to back crews there will always be tension crews not working together

hate it.

disgusting. the machines and the workplace is never clean. a former coworker of mine almost lost a hand in one of the machines due to poor condition. If you are going to get a job here, don't.

Pros

nothin.

Cons

poor condition of machines and no cleanliness.

Was a great start back into the mineing Industry

Great bunch of fellow colleagues. Made good friends. Learnt from some of the other operators. Made me push forward to advance my career in the civil workforce and inviroment today. Good start for others.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Don't do it

Just an awful experience, no direction, no sense of care and definitely inappropriate interactions, close to bullying. I applied for a 12 month role, got it & it was changed to 3 month. Hot desking does not work & is about saving money not about any positive affect on staff. There were often no desks available on any floor so we went home.

Pros

some of the people

Cons

culture, lack of direction

Employee benifits are good

The employee benefits offered are good. This is good for work life balance and helps with family time. Great opportunity to learn and grow. Some people are lovely and great to work with.

Good safety culture, friendly workers, long time helpful staff

I found Rio Tinto as a company really good to work for, they have a good safety culture where production does not come first. They promote couples and family members working together on the same team which can sometimes be a deal breaker when families are apart. You can have a long rewarding career with Rio Tinto especially now they are rolling out their Autonomus Haulage Systems and the extensive training they offer their employees.

Pros

Great culture, approachable team leaders, good safety culture

Cons

Camp food can be monotonous from day to day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Rio Tinto with

• Rio Tinto
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?