Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews for Maintenance Person

Maintenance Person7 reviews
Australia7 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

very good in the early days (2005) gone down hill (2017)

I started in 2007 with RTIO, very good company, good training and exposure to various equipment, lots of training, supported the workers and family. Sadly by 2017 very different culture, just a number, management more concerned about KPI's and bonuses than the working conditions of its staff (look up Brockman2/Nammuldi LinkForce strike, same management made its own people do the same for nearly 12 months) looking to reduce numbers of Rio staff on the tools, replacing then with contractors. Very high turnover of management (5 supervisors in 18 months, none with any practical experience) Hopefully this turns around and becomes the great place it once was

Pros

lots of training available

Cons

just a number, no career progression

Poor management, Grate opportunity to up-skill, Good work environment and site,

Management wanted more and more out of it's worker's. Doing extras, working back. Disruptions for night shift With no incentives and little gratitude $10 and $20 gift cards when there feeling generous, the business puts pressure on employees to perform but when you fall there's no protection or support your hung out to dry. Yet significant heritage sites demolished, No one held accountable,

Pros

Good work crew, grate roster 6x6 all day shift, clean tight knit town grate for small children

Cons

When you have back to back crews there will always be tension crews not working together

A good roaster giving a fair balance between work and life

A reputable company which supports diversity, career progression and development. Their working roasters are suitable for both single and family employees.

From the time you land ,till the time you fly out it will do you head in !

Always watching your back from Knifes and bosses looking to better themselves by shafting employees. Constant worry of losing your job, They ram safety down your neck 24/7 but its just Rio covering their backs with mountains of paper work which is not backed up by Management . They are not really concerned with your safety , its the money it will cost Rio to look after you if you get hurt , and then to find another monkey to replace you . Do it safely ,unless your on N/S and its holding up production , serious Incident's covered up in Best interest of Rio. Major health and Safety issues ignored as would cost money which can be better spent on more production equipment . Its all about the " Company making more Profit " { for the Directors and Shareholders } which is not finding its way down the line to the employee's busting their backs in the heat and dust.

Pros

Job for now

Cons

Everything written above and more

Gone backwards

Was a great place to work but changes did not suit me.so left to pursue better life work balance to suit my future plans in the pilbara and surrounding area.

Pros

Good team

Cons

Roster change did not suit

The Pilbara is a great place to live with an awesome outdoor lifestyle..

I have found my time at the Shutdown Crew very challenging with respect to the work ethic of some employees and the acceptance of the bullying and harrassment culture within some team members. Overall it has been a good experience to learn what I have picked up whilst being here for almost three years. For the past twelve months or so I have found it slightly unrewarding and repetitive. Its not often I get the chance to do work with my tools and have a hands on approach to work we undertake. Alot of the work we do now is mainly to apply isolation permits and basic inspections to the plant and machinery.

Pros

Weekends off with the wife and kids.

Cons

Not enough time on the tools doing my trade.

29..9 YRS Mostly good speaks for itself

Attend prestart meeting(any problems from previous shift,hazards etc.)Operate control room, load trains,stockpile maintance. Mostly a good team environment (look out for each others safety as well as our own). being able to do all aspects of job compenently and productively.

Pros

good team culture

Cons

Nil while Ihad a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Rio Tinto with