Rio Tinto Pay & Benefits reviews

Mixed bag workplace
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA24 February 2018
Good salary and great teams and people to work with.
Middle management very inexperienced due to many coming from a non professional background.

Next to no training and no career advancement.
Pros
Good market salary and teammates
Cons
Clueless middle management.. If you talk the talk you get promoted.. if you work hard you dont.
Excellent company to work for
Business Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brockman WA30 November 2017
Great company to work for with excellent salary and benefits. Corporate exposure helps you to increase your strategy and financial skills.
The workplace culture is good. Something to improve is the tolerance to non-native English speakers which makes difficult to these people to step up in higher positions (management positions) - this is the hardest part of the job.
In the minesite, and depending on the manager, there is a bias to judge sooner than later to introvert people - this is not welcome in a competitive environment like Rio. You have to invent jokes and just pretend to be extrovert - this is a success factor to step up (apart from your English skills).
Most enjoyable part of the job is that you have challenging objectives to reach which makes you exploit your skills and knowledge in a collaborative environment.
Pros
Company to grow professionally and personally
Cons
Not an inclusive culture, lack of tolerance for non-native English speakers
Amazing salary.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Karratha WA9 August 2017
The salary and benefits were amazing, it was my first taste of a high paying job, especially for my young age. But the work I was doing can get repetitive extremely quickly. Even though the pay was good, it was not the type of job I would make my career.
Contractual employee are treated equaly as non-contractual
Sourcing Analyst (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  Hail Creek QLD27 July 2017
I did a short contract and I loved it, I wish that I could stay longer, but a FT position is not easy to get there. Great conditions for work and accommodation.
Great culture, benefits and flexibilty
Process Improvement Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA10 February 2017
Safety culture is a focus at RTIO and they spend any amount of time needed to stop and focus on safety - not only on site, in the CBD offices as well. My Manager was very professional and approachable and, if the opportunity arose, I would definitely work with him again. The benefits are very good and include Incentive Bonus, time off to volunteer, flexibility arrangements and excellent remuneration. They even provided fresh fruit and Nespresso Coffee pods - an easy way to my heart!
Pros
Remuneration, Benefits and flexibility
Cons
Old school management resistant to change
Very informative
Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Paraburdoo WA10 January 2017
Working with a mining company is always going to be exciting as the equipment is sooo up-scaled. There are many benefits of working in the industry and it opens many doors for further employment.
Good local place to work
Maintenance Fitter (Current Employee) –  Gladstone QLD19 December 2016
Good local place to work with a good family roster , monthly pay is hard and would be better with the option of regular overtime
Pros
Great family roster
Cons
Monthly pay
Great company to work for
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD5 November 2016
Rio tinto was the best job I had, great work life balance, exceptional benefits and great wage, my issue was with the site I worked at, but as a company I can't fault them
Pros
everything
Cons
yarwun site
Superintendent Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD20 September 2016
Sometimes the workplace culture is misaligned with the corporate rhetoric. The company is well managed at corporate level but individual assets are at times neglected
Pros
Good benefits and care when in poor health
Cons
Restructuring due to commodity price decline
Productive but reserved in certain areas
Driller - operator (Current Employee) –  Brockman WA28 July 2016
Work place safety is number 1 but advancement is low. Would be nice to have advancement opportunities and training readily available
Pros
Work benefits
Cons
Low pay
Exciting challenge with the opportunity to inject and add value to the business
Parts Coordinator-Mobile Equipment & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA28 July 2016
Developing, understanding, and implementing robust systems ensuring part availability for production operation for the business was exciting and challenging.

Love building relationships and networking, providing and or inputting constructive ideas to staff. Love working with people and overall management and co-workers were great

Loved identifying, planning, and implementing developments in order to close gaps, cost saving to the business unit.

The hardest part of the job was the management of staff personalities rather than the actual job. Love a good challenge.

To know I put systems in place for anyone to be able to pick up and know what to do in my absence was a great feeling. Saving the company a ton of money was the icing on the cake. Great feeling.
Pros
Great benefits and management very supportive to the voluntary work I did.
Cons
Would like to have done rostered duties rather than 5 & 2. For e.g. 14 days on 14 days off.
productive
Training officer/operator (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA6 June 2016
good all round Company,
that look after their employees
diciplined employees when necessary
but were fair
i would work for Rio Tinto again
Pros
bonus on top of salary
Cons
working Christmas day was a day in lei its been removed
good working team
Fixed plant fitter at Argyle Diamond Mine (Former Employee) –  kununurra wa31 May 2016
rebuilding screens and maint on all parts of the mine.
from one month long shut downs to two day shuts the work '
was fun but hard and hot work.
Pros
free food and rent
Cons
long days and a hot climate
Good work family balance
Bauxite Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Weipa QLD2 March 2016
Good shift roster, 2 days shifts followed by 2 night shifts and 4 days off.

Good salary plus travel allowance

Good place to work in general
Rio Tinto
controller (Former Employee) –  Perth Airport WA29 February 2016
I worked for Rio Tinto for 3 years and they were a very good company to work for, I worked 6 days on and 6 days off, sometimes requiring me to FIFO to and from Cape Lambert in Karratha.

A typical day at work consisted of answering calls on the radio and monitoring screens to make sure the remote controlled machinery onsite was working well, I also was loading trains with iron ore and moving heavy machinery via remote control.

My work colleagues were very genuine easy to get along with people. the management of the particular department I worked in were very much the micro-management type.
Pros
good work life balance, good benifits, friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
power hungry management.
Good Vision, Good values, Too much politics
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 February 2016
Hard work rewarded by competitive salary packages.
Excellent safety culture.
Personal development could be a more important focus of the company.
friendship, teamwork
Supervisor Shift (Former Employee) –  Supervisor Shift28 November 2015
Not for the faint hearted working on the mines, long days, hrs and harsh conditions.

Have a game plan and you'll be right. Thye money is good but considering the lifestyle you every dollar.
Pros
5 yrs long service
Cons
hot and wet
Great and safe environment
Hahn Electrical - Contractor (Current Employee) –  Cape Lambert Ports21 October 2015
Safe environment and sufficient company to work for. Management ensures that every body work safe and knows what is expected of them by having weekly meetings.
Training is a big part of Rio Tinto's vision

Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metal company who focus on finding mining and processing the earths mineral resources
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Away from home to long
Good Company to work for
Mechanical Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Cape Lambert7 September 2015
great people to work with, learn new things every day, good benefits, would recommend anyone who get offered a job with rio to take it.
Productive and fun workplace with a table tennis table.
Heavy duty fitter (Former Employee) –  Cape lambert16 July 2015
good job lots of waiting between vessel movements lots of down time have to work hard during shut downs high temps in summer.
Pros
Lots of spare time