Rivers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Rivers Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Slow paced work place.

Retail assistance, Majority of customers are in the senior years. Slow paced work place, friendly staff and management, perfect job for a junior to experience customer service for the first time.

Productive yet easily balance job

Working at rivers there was always something to do that required time effort and detail. The work was never overly challenging but the most rewarding part of it all, making sure the customers left happier then when they came in.

Pros

Manageable length shifts

Cons

Slow work days

Enjoyable and productive workplace

Very busy with targets to meet and enjoying face to face customer service. Lots of challenges and always learning new things

Pros

great people

Cons

exciting workplace to work in challenging

customer service ,merchandising, training staff, answering phone calls staff rosters, stock transferring in and out of store, satisfied customers, all staff working together, tam work communication in between staff listening to new ideas for better opportunities in working environment, challenging new work procedures, enjoyment was every day

Worst management I have dealt with

The day-to-day job and responsibilities are easy to learn and complete, learnt a lot about the retail industry and how to motivate others, and majority of the co-workers were great to work with. The best part of the job for me was running weekend shifts and supervising others. The 'hardest' part of the job was putting up with the store manager who was constantly moody and unpredictable. I put up with comments that were sexist and offensive, and felt anxious to send the daily figures knowing that the inability to over achieve would result in a lack of shifts. Hours were often taken off staff to give to other staff that 'need them more', text messages were rarely responded to, if anyone were to approach this manager with a concern it would result in a defensive attack from them. The most enjoyable part of the job was quitting and handing my key back to this manager.

Pros

30% full price items (only 10% for family/friends)

Cons

Inexperienced management, instability.

productive and great fun place to work

typical day at work start at 8:15am open shop count money for till re arrange racks make sure the store is clean. so far i have learned a different point of sale system to what i was use to plus a different method of banking, scanning and entering deliveries. Management and co-workers are great to work with they are easy to get along with and make the day fun and exciting not to mention the great customers we have come through the store. there's not really anything hard about the store i work in we all get in and do our work and help the customers. most enjoyable of the job would be the smile on the customers faces i just love interacting with people ..

Pros

payed breaks a great percentage off clothing

Cons

not enough hours to keep my house hold running

I enjoy working with my fellow co-workers

the job can be physically demanding at times. Have learned to use computerize pick/pack. Co-workers are fun to work with making that the best part of the job

Pros

Flexable leave

Cons

Being made redundant

Casual work environment, friendly staff

My usual day consisted of unpacking boxes, cleaning the store, and serving customers. Our branch was quite quiet, so cleaning became the main task; I often found creative ways to continue work towards the end of the working day. Mostly, I learned to develop my communication skills, confidence, and how to manage an irritable customer. Management was fairly good; I mostly got regular shifts, although, due to the quiet nature of our branch, there were periods of time where I got as little as one 3hour shift over the course of three weeks. The hardest part of the job was problem-solving for unreasonable customers. It challenged me to come up with appropriate and creative solutions to unreasonable demands. The most enjoyable part of the job was working the cash register and making small-talk with the customers; I learned a great deal about the world around me because of the customers own interests.

Pros

flexible hours, decent lunch and rest breaks, developing communication skills

Cons

often not enough work to split between employees, store was far too quiet to feel productive, almost never met sales budgets due to quite nature of store

Fun workplace.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they were very friendly and more friends then co workers.It made it easier to work and made everyday enjoyable.

good mostly fun workplace

I work with a great fun team. Most days are filled with putting stock out and serving customers. Store manager is great, she pushes everyone to do the job but is very fair at the same time.

Pros

working with a great team

Cons

company not very flexiable

Jobs at Rivers

See more jobs

clothes

the hardest part of the job was if I was unsure of something the manager wouldn't respond to my calls, the most enjoyable part of the job was I go along with everyone. a typical day I would open shop and serve customers and unpack stock. with the customers they did give the manager really good feedback about me saying im a very hard worker and very polite and very helpful and I really liked to here great compliments from customers it build my self esteem

Pros

discount

Cons

short hours

Great team to work with

There was always something to do helping customers, changing store layout and unpacking stock always kept you busy and enjoying the work

Pros

Great team enviroment

Cons

n/a

Fun workplace and Good Work Culture

Very good management and Helpful Team members.Good team work is there at rivers.Customer service at Retail industry is new to me and enjoyed work at rivers.

As i had two jobs in one sometimes got a bit overwhelming.

Rivers needs to come into the 21st century. Some of there was were very old school, times have changed, styles and culture have changed too.

Pros

bonus's were credit is due

Cons

only 3 hour lunch covers. Had to get things done in this time

Rivers does not care about the employee's future.

There are a lot of different things i could say about the way they choose to do business, about the cold conditions and about the run down warehouses that they run and refuse to fix due to not wanting to spend the money. The owner chooses to get the employees of the warehouse to do odd jobs for him that go beyond what anyone at the warehouse was employed for; e.g. Cleaning out a moldy shipping container with personal effects completely unrelated to Rivers business, maintenance at his house or on his car etc, he gets people from the warehouses to go and build the shops around the country so that he doesn't have to hire any tradesman to do anything. Basically he is just a cheapskate using the staff to do jobs he would have to pay much more for if he got someone from outside of the company to do it. At the end of the day biggest gripe at the end of the day though after leaving is that they don't give references and basically offer you no help in finding another job once you leave. You could have worked for them for a number of years and been the most devoted employee but they will not say a word for you to any future employers. The business is honestly run quite shadily and i would advise avoiding working for the company if you can. This review only applies to there distribution warehouses in Ballarat. I cannot speak for the retail stores or there other warehouse in Melbourne.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Cold work enviroment, extremely boring and monotonous work, annoying supervisors.

good workplace

I would unpack boxes, stack shelves, clean, serve customers. my co-workers were much more older then me so I didn't get along with them as much as id like. I learnt their system within the first shift. I didn't deal with the management side but I didn't have a problem with it.

fun workplace

unpacking boxes rearranging shelf's refunds team work i learnt how to do stocktake the manerger was nice and tought us how to work in a team the co workers were all loverly and easy to get along with the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people find the item they were looking for.

Pros

20% discoumt

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rivers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Rivers
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?