RMIT University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

RMIT University Employee Reviews

Australia105 reviews
Worked as a Bilingual Research Assistant, got comprehensive onboarding and job training. Received ongoing support during my job. Management was very supportive and cooperative.
Every day ends up being productive in some way or the other. People are really kind and always ready to help. There is hardly any communication barrier among the colleges. They treat you equally and give equal importance to your opinions and suggestions.
Pros
Free lunches. Free beers once in a week
Cons
sometimes its long hours
Great place to learn,very informative and collaborative place to work.The work culture is universal.Laboratory work is well organized.All the equipment functions with accuracy.Computer allotment is very easy.as many computers are there.Trainers are helpful and lab assistance is very encouraging.Outputs are obtained exactly without errors.Network programming helps build your career to establish,operate and troubleshoot the network.Eco -friendly atmosphere as a student I experienced.
Supportive work environment. As with all organisations, it's the people that make the difference. Leadership capability varies however all have a future view of the success of the university. Good work life balance practiced.
Pros
Supportive environment. Flexible work practices, moving to new ABW buildings
Cons
Challenges in achieving cross college collaboration on large programs
I worked in a food innovation centre and research lab in RMIT. This is a very nice place to work although the coworkers were not very cooperative.
I learnt many things from there.
good place to proven leader, you’ll empower our team to be self-managing, help them to identify customer concerns, look for productivity opportunities and remove obstacles that our people may encounter.
The commercialisation of education has precedence over all other matters.
Students have been ojectified and become fodder for a cookie cutter degree producing production line.
When you get the position, you're almost secure for your life. There is not a proper performance assessment. Try to build your network here as bands play a very important role in promotions and getting projects.
9 March 2020
Hi there, thanks for the review! You're right - and the Capability Framework is currently being worked on for all Permanent and Fixed Term staff. It's encouraged that managers also offer performance reviews with casual staff. We suggest you get in touch with HR Assist so we can help you gain access to the portal. Cheers!
Engagement with industry to direct real-life situations for students and research is imperative for successful outcomes. The autonomous engagement with industry to allow these outcomes whilst following strategic plans for sector engagement is a main focus.
Pros:
Good comparative salary

Paid public holidays

Good environment to work

Cons:

Management sometimes is very aloof

Hard to get promotions even after years of work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at RMIT University?
Excellent workplace to thrive and excel. Supportive managers and colleagues. Comprehensive onboarding training provided. Excellent opportunities for professional development.
great opportunities for collaboration, often the businesses would not operate as part of one university so this led to sub-optimal outcomes for standardisation of processes and systems
Pros
relaxed
Cons
slow to change
It was a lot of fun learning and interacting with students. Not only did I get to work with my professor who was a Ph.D. holder but also I had a chance to implement a few things and teach them.
27 January 2020
Sending you a big thank you for this review! It seems like your time at RMIT was an incredible period of your career. Thanks again!
Unique experience in higher degree administration and policy implementation. Great facilities and knowledgeable staff. Post graduate students, many of whom are international students.
13 January 2020
Thank you for leaving this review for us! It seems like you were surrounded by great people, which framed a wonderful working experience at RMIT!
It is one of the best organisations to work with. The employees are friendly and understanding. Salaries are deposited on time and personal issues are taken into consideration.
Solid job for a full time student. Paid work outside of seasons for creation of material, maximum one hour. All other time spent independently working on material above an our was not paid.
8 December 2019
Hey there - thanks for leaving a review on how you balanced work and being a full time student!
The volunteer work usually involves a Thursday 'Chill n Grill' where we serve free food to people. Work starts at 10am and ends at 4pm. Volunteers are allowed to come whenever they wish and leave whenever they wish during the day though most people opt to stay for the entire day. From this experience, I learnt the importance of following procedure in ensuring that food is not undercooked and also teamworking experience with the other volunteers and customer service experience. The workplace is very friendly and the hardest part of the job is the stress during lunchtime where it becomes an extremely fast-paced environment. The most enjoyable part of that job was meeting new people and making new friends.
8 December 2019
Thanks for leaving a review on your time volunteering at RMIT in the Student Union! It seems like you learned a ton and got a lot of fulfillment from your work!
Great and easy way to make additional income helping postgrad students in class rooms and computer labs. Helpful lecturer and colleagues. Supportive team members. Nice environment in central Melbourne CBD.
25 November 2019
Hey there- thanks for leaving this review! We're so pleased you had a great experience working here!
A good university and scientific research workplace heavily in involved in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering mainly focus in the field of energy, aerodynamics, materials and structures
25 November 2019
Thanks for leaving this great review for our future Researchers to see!
The past 2 years at RMIT was the best experience, I ever had. I have learnt a lot in studying at RMIT. From basic programming to cloud computing to big data, it was a wonderful 2 years.
3 October 2019
Hi there. Thank you so much for your review. We’re glad you got to learn so much and that you enjoyed your time with us!
It is an amazing workplace with great work-life balance. The supportive and cooperative environment will help you to grow professionally in the long run.
16 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed working at RMIT!